Top 5 Missed opportunities of the Commonwealth

Fatalmasterpiece

All of this just goes to show why they lost out on Game of the Year from many different media outlets, most notably the Video Game Awards. I really hope this is just a hiccup and things like future DLCs and future Bethesda/fallout titles return to the quality we're more used to

Agreed. I really like FO4 but there are a lot of shortcomings that were noticed when up for awards.

Hmm one of top missed opportunities for me at least is character's knowledge or say internal database.

Sure such feature would need massive dialogue lines implement, but what I mean is....I learnt about the Quincy Massacre prior to actually meeting Preston and others from terminals in Quincy ruins, but unsuprisingly this internal knowledge was never brought up in dialogues with Preston. And that's just a tip on the iceberg. There are not many games where player can utilize various "intel" found throughout the game and it is simply cause the game expects us to follow the line and anything outside the box is something which isn't implemented. Also more terminal stories related content would be nice. There are such awesome stories hidden throughout the wasteland.

Good point. Your character's own experiences don't seem to play into the dialogue at all. There are very few "if/then" checks being made in the dialogue in regards to what you have already done.

Good point. Your character's own experiences don't seem to play into the dialogue at all. There are very few "if/then" checks being made in the dialogue in regards to what you have already done.

Actually there's a lot more than you'd expect, just in very strange places that you don't really notice.

For example raiders will have incidental dialogue with other raiders about some of the named raider groups you've cleared.

The game keeps track of whether the player knows about: The sight, teleporters, synths, swan's backstory, super-mutants, raiders, Nick being a synth, the institute, gunners, ghoul, dogmeat's name, children of atom, caps, brahmin, brotherhood of steel and Assaultrons.

So it's keeping track of all of this and then... very little mention of your activities.

Not that Skyrim was any better. I remember arriving at the stormcloak headquarters, asking to join and they say "we've never heard of you"... to the archmage, dragonborn, harbinger of the companions and thane of half the holds of Skyrim? Hell, I was pleasantly surprised in FO4 when we show up at the Railroad and Desdemona hasn't heard of us... then Deacon tells her off for not paying attention and describes some of the things we've done.

Hey that's pretty interesting. When does Swan's backstory come up other than when you read his journals? Unfortunately I usually play sniper characters so I never hear any of the raider dialogue. I would really love to see a mod where they didn't auto attack you so you could hear more of it.

It's strange how other people name the dog for you...

Hey that's pretty interesting. When does Swan's backstory come up other than when you read his journals? Unfortunately I usually play sniper characters so I never hear any of the raider dialogue. I would really love to see a mod where they didn't auto attack you so you could hear more of it.

It's strange how other people name the dog for you...

You gain it when you read "Experiment Log J-32, Day 21".

You can ask Virgil "Do you remember Edgar Swann?"

He says, "Swann? ...Yes, I saw his file. He was one of our first test subjects, years ago. His mutations destabilized. Started turning into a Behemoth. ...You think that could happen to me? Maybe I'm fine for a few months, a few years, but... god. I couldn't live like that."

I haven't actually had that conversation in game, I've just read a lot of the quest and conversation files in FO4Edit.

Yeah, the dog's name thing is weird. Also it's a big buggy. My first playthrough I never spoke to Mamma Murphy about the dog and yet when I spoke to Nick I called him "Dogmeat".

Interesting fact, if you go to Nick before encountering Dogmeat he summons the dog for you with a special ultrasonic emitter and you get introduced to him that way. I think it's actually a much better introduction then the usual "find him at red-rocket" you normally get.

I spent an entire playthrough trying to deliberately mess up the order in which I encountered things and the game is surprisingly clever with finding other ways of channeling you through the main quest. The truly sad thing is that I think the other storyline is much better. (You go to Goodneighbour, persuade the memory den to show you a memory from your past and they get the memory of Kellog shooting your wife by mistake, however that gets doctor Amari to suggest that you go see Nick Valentine who introduces you to Dogmeat.)

I found it really awesome that Deacon really does stalk you and learn about you. If you pay attention, you can see him hanging out in disguise watching you at key locations, its a nice touch there. FO4 is not without its pluses. It just needed more and better story content, and itd be by and far my fav from them.

Fallout 4 needed to take itself less serious. F2 had a serious side which strongly touched on drugs, prostitution etc., but it also had a lot of dumb and goofy stuff put in. Nothing was too crazy to put in Fallout :)

Fallout 4 needed to take itself less serious. F2 had a serious side which strongly touched on drugs, prostitution etc., but it also had a lot of dumb and goofy stuff put in. Nothing was too crazy to put in Fallout :smile:

But it has teddy bears all around!

Kidding, it needs some jokes here and there.

Fallout 4 needed to take itself less serious. F2 had a serious side which strongly touched on drugs, prostitution etc., but it also had a lot of dumb and goofy stuff put in. Nothing was too crazy to put in Fallout :smile:

But it has teddy bears all around!

Kidding, it needs some jokes here and there.

Well you can always go to Shamrock Taphouse and keep Buddy for yourself, he tells jokes if you ask him and keeping him for yourself also provides bigger boost for Cait's affinity. That said I should pay more attention to the game it seems, do you think the fisherman above Compound just across Covenant is Deacon or just a synth spy? Though one thing kinda puts me off. In Concord Preston and Sturges recognize if you wander in there in power armor and minigun, but they seem to pay no attention at all if you lead them to a fully built settlement in Sanctuary Hills, sure all quests for Sturges are instantly finished but...that's all to it.

At least there's a dialogue check if you cleared castle before starting minutemen questline. Also one thing is kinda bothering me,

I...think synths are following me, everywhere I go, well some places at least I give an hour or less, mostly once I finish exploring and take my leave, before they show up, just like in mayoral bunker.

Edited by k361