Don't like freedom?

csgators

Also @ Grannywils, haven't you seen what the Greeks are up to with their riots, now that they have to account for their lavish spending of those subsidies and have got themselves in the doodoo with their foolishness? Kindly do not accuse me of making things up when this stuff is all over the news.

Greek Riot Police clash with protestors

From my perspective it sounds as though Great Britain and most other countries in EU are benefitting substantially from their membership in the EU. I'm not getting the idea that they are bearing an awful burden."

But I could of course be mistaken, and I apologize if I am.

You certainly are mistaken

Net contributors to the EU

We pay in much more than we get out, and that is why a number of countries, not just Britain, are getting restive about these bailouts (another 9 billion the other week from us...)

If you think that key industries up the creek and loss of sovereignty classes as benefiting, I would hate to see how bad you think it has to get to be called really bad.

Also @ Grannywils, haven't you seen what the Greeks are up to with their riots, now that they have to account for their lavish spending of those subsidies and have got themselves in the doodoo with their foolishness? Kindly do not accuse me of making things up when this stuff is all over the news.

Greek Riot Police clash with protestors

From my perspective it sounds as though Great Britain and most other countries in EU are benefitting substantially from their membership in the EU. I'm not getting the idea that they are bearing an awful burden."

But I could of course be mistaken, and I apologize if I am.

You certainly are mistaken

Net contributors to the EU

We pay in much more than we get out, and that is why a number of countries, not just Britain, are getting restive about these bailouts (another 9 billion the other week from us...)

If you think that key industries up the creek and loss of sovereignty classes as benefiting, I would hate to see how bad you think it has to get to be called really bad.

The cost is even greater when you take into account the damage done to business by the over regulation and other nonsense that comes out of Brussels.

Jim_uk, thank you for your usually gracious response to my request for some reading material regarding the riots and torching of British imports. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, the article is rather dated. I in fact had been aware of those riots at the time that they occurred. I am, of course aware that there are many in the EU who remain dissatisfied with it and with it's goals. This is something that will unfortunately remain unresolved, just as our situation is remaining unresolved, and it saddens me to see it.

I was just a bit confused by the prior poster's specific reference to the supposedly recent torching of British imports (and if they are sheep, sometimes without slaughtering them first). I am an animal lover, and that particular reference caused me great concern, and when I thought that this was a recent occurrence, it was quite upsetting to me. This was the only reason for my request.

I do appreciate very much your providing me with this link. Thank you again.

The cost is even greater when you take into account the damage done to business by the over regulation and other nonsense that comes out of Brussels.

Geez, and Western Europe/the EU is what Obama wants to model the US on. Yeah, he's all about freedom. :ermm:

Really, Grannywils, now since when did I become the one who cannot be named? Oh and I did not say that the roasting of lamb alive was a recent phenomenon. Do not misquote/misrepresent when it is so easy to rebut. There have, however, been more recent instances of blatant double standards from the EU in regard to British imports. At the drop of a hat, or the merest hint of cattle/sheep disease in Britain, they gleefully ban imports of British meat. The problem is that we Brits solemnly admit and notify cases of things such as, for example, foot and mouth disease and other agricultural nasties, whereas other EU countries have been known to cover things up. What about the case of the killer cucumbers that have spread mayhem and e coli all over Europe for example?

(Big hint....THEY WEREN'T BRITISH)

True, oh Jim_UK, who can forget the No Bent Bananas saga?

Geez, and Western Europe/the EU is what Obama wants to model the US on. Yeah, he's all about freedom. :ermm:

When Liberals start going on about tax and the wonders of the state just point them to the U.K and the rest of the E.U. Conservatives in the U.S should take note of what has been done here and promise to do the exact opposite, they won't go far wrong.

Really, Grannywils, now since when did I become the one who cannot be named? Oh and I did not say that the roasting of lamb alive was a recent phenomenon. Do not misquote/misrepresent when it is so easy to rebut. There have, however, been more recent instances of blatant double standards from the EU in regard to British imports. At the drop of a hat, or the merest hint of cattle/sheep disease in Britain, they gleefully ban imports of British meat. The problem is that we Brits solemnly admit and notify cases of things such as, for example, foot and mouth disease and other agricultural nasties, whereas other EU countries have been known to cover things up. What about the case of the killer cucumbers that have spread mayhem and e coli all over Europe for example?

(Big hint....THEY WEREN'T BRITISH)

And banning firemen from sliding down poles. :facepalm:

Explanation. I need one.

The E.U banned it, they insisted they use stairs instead. This is sort of nonsense we get from the E.U time and again.

Explanation. I need one.

The E.U banned it, they insisted they use stairs instead. This is sort of nonsense we get from the E.U time and again.

While I don't really agree with the ban, it kinda makes sense for some reasons.

Am not sure why, these are fit healthy guys and girls who had never complained about pole sliding.

@ RZ1029, this is not a form of exotic dancing. When English firemen got a shout, if they happened to be in an upstairs squad room, in order to save precious seconds, rather than use stairs they would slide down a pole. No-one had any problem with it, if anything it was a macho pride thing. However, the EU decided that it was more important to prevent injury to the trousers than to save vital seconds for a person at threat of being burnt alive.