Does anyone planning to do a creatures mod once the Geck comes out?

azrielmoha

I am sure there will be people wanting to for sure. But there is a serious issue with it, that being animation. Currently, new animations are simply not possible due to Havok being owned by Microsoft, and not a free-use type of deal. Its unlikely the GECK will have any support for it, either, so at this point its kind of a stuck issue. There are people working on making programs capable of properly creating / editing the animations, but its time consuming to be sure.

If / when that issue is sorted, that will help a LOT. I mean, it is possible people could make creatures that use a vanilla animation, but that can be kinda limiting, ya know?

If you can rig an armor, you can rig a creature model. Same concept.

This is true, but your new model would need to follow the same animations another creature uses (at least with current tools available) and this does place some rough limitations on its range of possible forms.

Edit: Well at least to the best of my knowledge. If there is a way of applying a custom animation to a new mesh in Fallout 4, then I'd love to be proven wrong.

Edited by PoliteRaider

If you can rig an armor, you can rig a creature model. Same concept.

This is true, but your new model would need to follow the same animations another creature uses (at least with current tools available) and this does place some rough limitations on its range of possible forms.

Edit: Well at least to the best of my knowledge. If there is a way of applying a custom animation to a new mesh in Fallout 4, then I'd love to be proven wrong.

Well if that's the case, with there's no way to create a new animation, we're currently limited to remodel a already existing creature mesh and apply it to the game world, is that correct? Though limited, it still offer promises for a creature mod, I'm thinking either adding a new variant, or a new similiar looking species of an already existing creature, for instance maybe remodel Mole Rat's mesh and create a some sort of evolved giant rat, just like the one in FNV.