People who played the beta survival overhaul, how was it? Is the new save mechanics satisfying or is it too frustrating? did you like that feature?

Bavarianberry

I don't think I'm going to play Fallout 4 for now, I'm playing dragon's dogma and just don't feel like going back to commonwealth now. :dance: So I just want to ask this from the people who are playing.

From the day I heard about the new Dark Souls-like save mechanics, I'm thinking with myself that the new save system may make me frustrated 20-30 hours into the game. I think I will be okay with it for maybe 20 hours. But I don't know if I am going to like it 300 hours into the game.

From another perspective, I'm telling myself maybe it will be the first 50 hours that will going to be more frustrating and then when you level up and become more powerful maybe it becomes actually fun.

But then, maybe not. Maybe it becomes a chore to do every once in a while. :ohdear: That is my only fear to be honest.

In any case, I'm open to experience it.

Has anyone here played it? I want to know how the people who played and are playing the beta survival overhaul feel about it in general and especially how they feel about the new saving system.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't lower difficulty then go back up later... that part sucks. I wanted to lower mine while I was building in order to be able to get the building done (on a new save file) but it told me that If I lowered my difficulty I couldn't put it back up. That sucks.

That's really interesting. That may be a feature they put in to prevent people from lowering the difficulty, then quick saving, then raising it back up to get around the sleep saving.

I'm agreed on this. Speaking plainly, I LOVE EVERY FEATURE Beth has put up in this mode. However, with the current instabilities the game still has (and I for one applaud Beth for adding so many "modded" features from Skyrim into the base game, but yes, I also am with the lot that the initial content for FO4 was lacking) I would like to see a system where features of the current survival build are "toggle-able."

This means that for those of us who WANT fast travel enabled, even though we rarely use it on our own accord, have that enabled for Real Life purposes, or settlement building purposes when we know that our video card drivers still cause us to crash way too often. I can't help but think of Chesko in this, in that he offered a mod, free of charge for the most part, that did this in Skyrim. And yet, now it is being included as a dev-house feature. In fact, a lot of the improvements I see in this current release feel like the base-game implementation of previous Skyrim mods into the base game, with improved initial release stability and pre-mod features being standard now at the expense of actual in game content (which speaking plainly, I have bought the season pass at "pre-hiked" prices, but in some sense, still feel should have been there for buyers of the initial FO4 release. In comparison, I would reply that Skyrim had way more bugs upon launch, but way more content as well. I feel as if FO4 is the inverse of that, less bugs, but way less content too. Truthfully, I don't know which I want more.

In short, I have my complaints, not that Beth, Howard & Co. would ever read or lock onto, but given what I perceive as that implementation of previous TES mods into the current dev-build of FO4, I have to ask why certain features are not able to be toggled on or off at the player's liking? Like the same way they were implemented into the MCM mod menu of Skyrim, to allow players freed of choice.

Truth is, SOMEONE will do this post Live SV Patch release, but if Beth seems so intent on incorporating prior modding content into the base game, why not offer the same features for choice?

Don't get me wrong Beth, I LOVE you, and I think you release awesome stuff (with the pre-defined ability to improve or dissect from for modders), I just feel that IF I am correct in that you are taking your lead from modders of the past TES iterations, that you might continue to do so with the survival mode patch as well,, in terms of making certain features optional or not, at least until crashing bugs are fixed.

Those are my 2-cents on the matter, and I hope that someone at Beth, and any forum to be honest, will read this, and respond with, or either go to development with, these thoughts, as your new discussion migration on Beth.net seems to still be at its infancy.

That's not meant as insult either. You have called for feedback, and I am giving it here. I hope you see it.

As a disclaimer, I am posting this on the Steam and Beth forums as well, as I hope that tis perspective will gain traction among others in those communities as well. Please feel free to respond (in the least troll-ish way possible, that would be appreciated, had enough of those already.)

And at the very minimum, thank you for reading this :)

Edited by m3dicat3d

I dig it. Finding dirty matresses in abandoned buildings is a "score" moment now. And empty bottles, I can never have enough of those. Seriously!

I started a new character and it's tough as hell. You are just trying to survive, literally. Food, water, disease. OMG infection??? lol, more like you got bit by a cobra for a new character. That was a nightmare lol. It's a real b&@*$ and a little stressful no doubt about it but, very satisfying so far.

The only issue I have with Survival is the timescale. The days go too fast and you get hungry and thirsty way too often. in game time vs real time needs to be doubled. Example: If I run to Concord and loot a couple buildings, I'm starving and thirsty by the time I'm done. That will wear on the few supplies you have very, very quickly. A little too fast. It's a little annoying and immersion breaking imo. Other than that I think it's perfect, amazing, hard ass fun. =)

Do it!

I love it.

After three hundred and fifty hours of playing the game, I was getting tired of Fallout 4 even with the modded content being released. These changes made the game feel shiny and new, I was excited to play it again. The moment I started playing on the new survival difficulty I realized I would never play the game on any other setting in the future.

This is exactly what I look for in my preferred play-style though. My favourite playstyle in Skyrim was to use Frostfall combined with one of the various difficulty increases and one of the needs mods.

It's not perfect and there are things I would change. I've already sent some suggestions to Bethesda on the feedback forums, since it is just the Beta they may still make some changes. However it doesn't need to be perfect since I can easily fill the gaps myself with mods, either other peoples or I can just write my own now.

TL:DR survival mode is what fallout 4 was missing.

if like me you sunk 200+ hours into FO4 then you know something just felt like it was missing. this was it. this makes every day in the wasteland a harrowing experience. its like an entirely different game. there is no care free romp across the wasteland. you move slow, you listen, and you always keep some water with you. as of this post i am 16 hours in on my first survival mode character. i have seen the reload screen more times then i care to admit. And I SMILED every time. because every death makes you feel like a newbie now. 16 hours in and i am just now somewhat confident that i might be able to clear corvega.

i can almost guarantee that if you come back and play it now you will be hooked like its a new game entirely.

@PoliteRaider: i Agree. the save mechanic need to be redone. saving should only be accessible in sanctuary hills and the red rocket station by default, and other then those only in settlements with enough food, water, beds, and defense to support every one in it, including the player.

Edited by Dracula420

I think it would be better if you could hard save it once every hour. As it is, only being able to save when you sleep is a bit much in my opinion. ^ and yes, being able to save in settlements would also make sense

Also I like to be in control of my save game data and dislike that it auto saves when you sleep and doesn't give you a save slot option.

1.5 update disables the console entirely, at least in survival mode. and the game forcibly "ignores" anthing but its default content. mods the take a .esp dont work althought simple texture and model replacers work if they follow the default paths.

Edited by Dracula420