ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Morale Booster Needed

OK, so I'm one day into playing Witcher 2, and exploring Flotsam.

And so far, I'm not impressed by the game. I really WANT to like it, and would therefore appreciate some encouragement to keep me going.

Specifically:

1. The biggest downer for me was the protracted linear prologue, when I felt like a bystander, or a member of a TV audience. I'm slightly reassured now that I'm in Flotsam and it seems more like the "what the **** should I do next?" non-linear gameplay that I loved in The Witcher.

Can someone reassure me that it stays like this, or are there any more long scripted sections?

2. Combat. I was very nervous before playing because of the reviews saying that the combat was more complex, so I set it to play on Easy. Problem - it's too easy. :)

By my final playthrough, I could play The Witcher on Hard using swordfighting skills, Aard, Igni, some basic potions and not much else. What would be the equivalent difficulty level on TW2?

3. Crafting, traps, complicated formulae/designs. Do I have to, or can you ignore most of this (at least, for the first playthrough)? Again, at what difficulty level do these become a necessity?

4. Is there any cut-off point in the game where I can't change difficulty levels any more?

Cat is the potion I use the most, always handy to see what you're running into in the darker places, that said I'm running on easy mode atm. and so I find that the other potions aren't really needed as such. I don't think that the potions make much difference to the QTE's anyway and haven't found the need for them at those points......so far! I haven't heard of anyone finding a cut-off point for changing levels. There are a couple more scripted sections but nowhere near as long as the prologue.

The prologue (while rather long) was an excellent tutorial for me. Since I am not a hard core gamer like some of you, it was very useful for me to learn the system. It was the QTE's that took me a while to get the hang of. Once we got to Flotsam, you are pretty much on your own (my opinion) and as it turned out for me, was still learning on the way. I did my first play through on easy and the next on normal, good as it gets for me, I'm simply not that fast on the ol' keyboard. I did not think this game was linear as such, and enjoyed that aspect very much and it just gets better as you go.

What I liked was that I had to think things through, figure out my strategy and find my strengths. I focused on sword skills and used mainly Quen, Aard, and Yrden. I did not use much in the way of potions during the entire game. I did use the Harpy traps later on in one of the quests and that was interesting. What I did do was focus on the best weapons I could get my hands on and relied on them instead of anything else. For myself, I did not use any armor in any of my games, made it much more interesting and challenging, but that's just me.

That being said, I think you will find the game much more interesting as you progress, so I hope you will keep with it. I just finished my third play through and am amazed at how my choices, decisions change the entire game and what happens at the end. I am still trying to get through Witcher 1, but am determined to get through it, just seems so slow to me I get bored.

But to be honest, there was quite a bit of this... :wallbash: LOL...and I'd just keep at it.

Love this game. :thumbsup:

Well, I gave it another couple of hours this morning, and it does seem to be improving. I still don't like the combat system though - I'm missing the chained attacks of The Witcher. Hopefully it will improve as I go up the levels.

The comments on the non-linearity are reassuring.