Can't Start New Game

Redwards34

Alright so I just recently got oblivion for the PC and started to install all the mods I wanted. I go to play the actual game a click the new game button but I click it hit yes and then nothing happens. Anyone know what the problem could be?

If you installed OBGE, go do something else for 10 minutes and then come back. It takes a loooong time to load, though I've heard that it gets better after the first time. (My video card sucks so I only loaded it once before getting rid of it.)

Anyway, you should post your load order. If you use OBMM, click the "Import/Export" button and select "View Load Order". If you use Wrye Bash, go to the "Mods" tab, and right-click "File" (or any empty spot in your mods list) and select "List Mods..." Make sure to post it inside spoiler tags.

HorseCombatMaster.esm

AWS-Core.esm

Oblivion.esm

Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm

Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm

Francesco's Optional New Creatures Add-On.esm

Better Cities Resources.esm

DRSplatter.esp

Francesco's 10 days respawn time - 1-20 day lenght rescale.esp

Francesco's Slower skills x1.5.esp

Francesco's Optional Files.esp

DropLitTorchOBSE.esp

SP1stPLegs.esp

Atmospheric Oblivion.esp

Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp

Deadly Reflex 6 - Timed Block with no damage or durability changes.esp

AWS-Storms & Sound SI.esp

AWS-Water.esp

AWS-ShiveringIsles.esp

AWS-Main.esp

Mounted_Spellcasting_Deadly_Reflex_Compatible.esp

DeadlyReflex 6 - Combat Moves.esp

Better Cities .esp

HUD Status Bars.esp

DKImperials.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

Knights.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Without deeper analyzes, this load order is totally messed, you should get Wrye's Bash Utility and BOSS. They should care of the correct load order, at least as a first and working approach, and point out missing dependence (which normally is the cause of the game failing to start).

Still it may not be enough, some the mods in there need OBSE, which you need to have installed so to run them.

PS: The main fail of newbies in the modding scenery is the eager to install many mods at same time. To some mods, the "install" order is more meaningful than the load order itself, let alone is way harder to fix broken things than avoiding break them from start. Installing mods should be done one at a time, verifying if something didn't get broken and installing the next. Preferably knowing what to install first (as pointed above), something that comes only with practice and experience to understand what the mod does and takes.

As first guideline, patches (official or otherwise) should be installed as soon afterward whatever to be patched is installed, followed by overhauls which changes plenty of things; since if you are to install a minor mod that changes something the overhaul already changed, you are supposed to wish that last mod feature instead that of the overhaul, but that is not a "written in stone" law and criterion is needed when dealing with this kind of conflict.

Edited by nosisab

Without deeper analyzes, this load order is totally messed, you should get Wrye's Bash Utility and BOSS. They should care of the correct load order, at least as a first and working approach, and point out missing dependence (which normally is the cause of the game failing to start).

Still it may not be enough, some the mods in there need OBSE, which you need to have installed so to run them.

PS: The main fail of newbies in the modding scenery is the eager to install many mods at same time. To some mods, the "install" order is more meaningful than the load order itself, let alone is way harder to fix broken things than avoiding break them from start. Installing mods should be done one at a time, verifying if something didn't get broken and installing the next. Preferably knowing what to install first (as pointed above), something that comes only with practice and experience to understand what the mod does and takes.

As first guideline, patches (official or otherwise) should be installed as soon afterward whatever to be patched is installed, followed by overhauls which changes plenty of things; since if you are to install a minor mod that changes something the overhaul already changed, you are supposed to wish that last mod feature instead that of the overhaul, but that is not a "written in stone" law and criterion is needed when dealing with this kind of conflict.

I do have OBSE installed and I did try to follow the install orders that I knew of from reading descriptions. I guess I just have to start over from nothing?

Best bet is get a vanilla install working, patched to 1.2.0.416 and then get through the tutorial. Make a save before the final chance to change race etc. (unless you enjoy going through the whole tutorial every time you want to start over or need to re-install the game). Exit the sewers and make another save after having a little jog and looking around enough to confirm everything is working correctly. Then start adding mods one at a time and test in between (while you're doing that you can proceed on the main quest or whichever way you want to play).

On a side note, don't use quicksave at all. Get into the habit of using a manual save off the menu and only load from an autosave when you've forgotten to save recently and don't want to lose too much progress. Quicksave and autosave are known to lead to more frequent crashes via save file corruption.

Yup, and before starting on installing mods

1. Be sure you have the latest patch installed. Many mods will crash the game instantly without it.

2. Be sure you have OBSE installed. See above.

3. If you use it be sure you have OBMM installed. Not required, but highly recommended.

4. Start the game the first time with NO mods, and make a save. This allows the game to create the Oblivion.ini that identifies your hardware to the game.

5. Hold off on OBGE until after you have started the game and made a save. Also, OBGE requires OBSE to already be installed. Be sure to read the complete instructions for BOTH.

6. If you have either Vista or Win7 and installed in the default location. :facepalm: Do this FIRST! It will save you a lot of time in the long run. Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the WIKI section of the Nexus

http://wiki.tesnexus...tall_procedure.

Just unchecking the mods does not remove them. Here is a shortcut that may save you from having to do a full reinstall. - But NOT if you installed to the default location with either Vista or Win7 (default location is OK in WinXP)

Bben's Oblivion Revert to Vanilla game

WIKI

http://wiki.tesnexus...to_vanilla_data

Random question: Did the game ever work without mods installed? Did you ever get to make a character? If not, could it be your graphics card? Does it meet the requirement? Because if it doesn't, the game will load, but as soon as the video starts, FAIL. Nothing happens.

If it is not the video card...

I don't think it is a missing dependency, because then he wouldn't even make it to the main menu. If an esm is missing, the game doesn't load at all.

But I agree with everything else mentioned here. NEVER install the game and then immediately add mods without booting the vanilla game (without mods) at least once and making a save. The game needs a working ini file to work properly.

Also: installation always depends on the kind of mod. If you want to add several esps which only add like, one armor or one sword to the game, hit it. Those shouldn't hurt anything. But if you add anything quest related, major overhauls or anything that changes the worldspace: add a mod, boot up the game to check if it works. Add another one, boot the game up. ETC ETC. That way you can find the culprit if things go south.

Edited by chakaru11

chakaru11 wrote "I don't think it is a missing dependency, because then he wouldn't even make it to the main menu. If an esm is missing, the game doesn't load at all. "

The reason I spelled missing dependence instead missing ESM is due to this very fact... missing dependency could be many things, OBSE just as one example.

Edited by nosisab