Bill S. 978

ub3rman123

I always thought that forums like this were already known to the people who own the material we are discussing.

It would seem to me that a forum like this promotes such products. What financial loss could be applied to having pictures, that promote a product.

My whole take from this is that people who can be proven that they have caused a financial loose to the owner of the material need only be worried about it.

Maybe I'm above my head here, if I am then I stand corrected.

Except that's the thing... The bill may have come up because of the topic of supposed "financial loss", but the way the bill exists now covers far too many things and may itself actually incur financial loss for those things which cannot afford to run expensive ad campaigns. Take Minecraft for example. The game would not have sold what it has, or caught the eye of the world like it has if it wasn't for people posting Minecraft related videos or images or reproducing things similar to Minecraft elements (like Minecraftesque blocks in Oblivion) in other places. Neither of these things detract away from the sales of Minecraft, but this bill prevents both.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people misunderstand... If this bill passes, it also includes images of copyrighted works. Meaning that the image share section and potentially all images related to mods posted after the date of this bill are also illegal under US law.

And sadly, this isn't just some misinterpretation of the bill. The language of this bill is actually broad enough to cover this much as well.

Would they be illegal if there was an agreement between the owner of this site and the owning authority?

It would seem to me that a forum like this promotes products.

The problem is securing such an agreement, for every case. If just this site has to contact 4 or 5 different publishers, imagine what other sites would have to do, let alone how many those publishers must get. THAT is the stupidity of this bill. It doesn't pertain just to illegally uploaded movies and video, but to ANY "public transmission of copyrighted work". And THAT is the problem.

I always thought that forums like this were already known to the people who own the material we are discussing.

It would seem to me that a forum like this promotes such products. What financial loss could be applied to having pictures, that promote a product.

My whole take from this is that people who can be proven that they have caused a financial loose to the owner of the material need only be worried about it.

Maybe I'm above my head here, if I am then I stand corrected.

Video game streaming is also know to the people who own the material, and they don't care.

As I said before, that is my exact point only for video.