Oblivion community dead in 5 months

Deleted1754360User

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The event of Skyrim coming out or not will not affect my modding business the slightest.

As I've stated at other places several times already, it will take 3 or 4 "years" for Skyrim to reach a state at which the things I'm currently doing in Oblivion will be possible to get modded into there. So what should I do in the mean time? Sitting around in my room and staring out of the window? No, I'm going on modding Oblivion, as everything I need is possible in Oblivion "now" and I know exactly how to do those things.

As for Skyrim, I wish I hadn't ever taken a look into any of the thousands of threads discussing possible or supposed features of it without any facts or proofs. It seems those guys just start these topics to start a fight, with whoever comes around and has a different opinion than them. It is the most ridiculous and senseless business going on in the Elder Srolls community forums I've ever seen since I'm registered member here, and I'm fed up with it. I have no intentions in getting Skyrim or even considering modding for it anymore now, just due to the neverending nonsense I got to read up to now... and it's still going on and on... and on. So I decided to wait for the real thing to come out and only then decide again.

And my expectations for Skyrim are really low now. Unless I'm proven the opposite, which will only be possible after 11-11-11, so don't even try, I'm expecting it to become a product I won't want to play. But this is only "my" thing and doesn't matter for anybody else. Everybody has to see for himself.

As for the community being dead in 5 months or even only half of it leaving the scene by this time... well, I've never read a statement more untrue than this. History has proven this was never the case with previous games and never will be with future ones. From my current standing I rather expect a flood of new or returning users a short time after the initial hype for the new sensational release subsided and reality kicked in instead of a fatal decline in modders and mod users for Oblivion now. Maybe months, maybe years, but unless I'm proven the opposite these are my expectations.

What was the purpose of this thread again?

edit: Uhm, I apologize, if this sounds offensive to anyone. I'm in a bad mood lately and it starts affecting my posts now. Plus I need sleep badly right now. Sorry for the ranting.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

I'll of course buy a copy of Skyrim and probably leave it to collect dust in my drawer until I'll save enough money for my pc upgrading. :laugh: Plus I'm not really exited about Skyrim coming out. It's just another game there's no need to go all crazy about it. :rolleyes:

And about the Oblivion modding community of course it won't die. People are still going to make mods. Modding is just a hobby so don't forget that real life is number one priority. Maybe they have real life issues or jobs that leaves very little time for modding. Just because they aren't updating their mods it doesn't mean that they uninstalled Oblivion and now sits and waits for Skyrim while staring at it's pictures or trailers.

Sorry for the grammar and spelling mistakes.

i don't understand why everyone says that skyrim is full of "promises" only...dual wielding is the thing im most excited for...it CAN'T be just a promise..Tod showed it at e3,meaning its already in the game.Meaning that if you think its just a promise that means that he is just going to remove it for no reason.I can understand promising something and not doing it but we already saw dual wielding.there is no reason for him to remove all that hard work they all put into dual wielding.

i don't understand why everyone says that skyrim is full of "promises" only...dual wielding is the thing im most excited for...it CAN'T be just a promise..Tod showed it at e3,meaning its already in the game.Meaning that if you think its just a promise that means that he is just going to remove it for no reason.I can understand promising something and not doing it but we already saw dual wielding.there is no reason for him to remove all that hard work they all put into dual wielding.

I'm sure dual-wielding will be there in some form. It's too popular a feature and has been successfully modded into Oblivion, so I see no reason for them to leave it out.

Now, how it will actually work is an open question. Until there's a demo with actual game-play controls, it's just pointless speculation.

I'm sure dual-wielding will be there in some form. It's too popular a feature and has been successfully modded into Oblivion, so I see no reason for them to leave it out.

Now, how it will actually work is an open question. Until there's a demo with actual game-play controls, it's just pointless speculation.

really? dual wielding has been added in oblivion? im pretty sure you mean unnecessary violence or maybe seph's dual wielding but they aren't all that succesful....i really hope there is another dual wield mod..is there?

I first came here for the mods and fell in love with the expertice of those artists and innovators that have expanded so much the brilliance of Oblivion. Dreams will never die and that is the driving force in anyone's attempt to better something already in existence. This community will live on.

i don't understand why everyone says that skyrim is full of "promises" only...dual wielding is the thing im most excited for...it CAN'T be just a promise..Tod showed it at e3,meaning its already in the game.

Not really. With respect, it means two things:

1) They expect to put it in the game.

2) They've done up a trailer which is entirely separate from the game, showing how it is envisioned at this time to work.

That's all. The big game developers/producers all create mockups of features they think will really excite both reporters and players, then show them at the big meets (like E3 and CES), and put them up online. It's meant to hold your attention. But it's vaporware. It's intent, not fact. It may get into the final code, but it may not. There's no ill will involved, but it isn't the game.

If it does make the cut, there are other things you have to weigh. Remember, it will be quite a while, probably 2-3 years, before the mod scene in Skyrim even begins to approach that of Oblivion in scope if not depth. This was certainly true of Oblivion when it came out, relative to Morrowind. So you have to weigh up what is actually in the final Skyrim game--not what's promised--versus the absence of all those mods you now enjoy in Oblivion.