Murdoch's News of the World Closes

Aurielius

News has just broken that they have withdrawn the bid for BSkyB, this followed condemnation of the plans from all sides of the house this afternoon. It really does look like Murdoch has lost his influence completely, we're finally free from what has been a cancer on our democracy.

Under the Corrupt Foreign Practices Act if News Corp is convicted of criminal activity such as bribery in the UK then the owners and board are liable under US law and could face federal investigation and possible indictments. Unlike the UK, Murdoch though powerful does not have the same strangle hold on media outlets over here and will not be able to contain the damage as effectively.There is now question whether the same practices extend to activity relating to US citizens which is a federal crime. Though I am self admitted conservative I find it disturbing that Fox News is quiet on this item of news, they should have their feet held to the fire as much as they hold liberals to the same, no one is above the law.

Is there much coverage over there on this at the moment? I've noticed the NYTimes are doing an excellent job of covering it, I couldn't find anything on the Fox site, I wonder why? :whistling:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News has just broken that they have withdrawn the bid for BSkyB, this followed condemnation of the plans from all sides of the house this afternoon. It really does look like Murdoch has lost his influence completely, we're finally free from what has been a cancer on our democracy.

Under the Corrupt Foreign Practices Act if News Corp is convicted of criminal activity such as bribery in the UK then the owners and board are liable under US law and could face federal investigation and possible indictments. Unlike the UK, Murdoch though powerful does not have the same strangle hold on media outlets over here and will not be able to contain the damage as effectively.There is now question whether the same practices extend to activity relating to US citizens which is a federal crime. Though I am self admitted conservative I find it disturbing that Fox News is quiet on this item of news, they should have their feet held to the fire as much as they hold liberals to the same, no one is above the law.

Have a look at just who it is that owns Fox news, and it's parent company, News Corp, and I suspect you will have your explanation of just why they aren't talking about it much.

Have a look at just who it is that owns Fox news, and it's parent company, News Corp, and I suspect you will have your explanation of just why they aren't talking about it much.

I was aware that Murdoch owned Fox, just disappointed in their current performance.

... so close and yet so far away from reporting anything ... Blogs and other news seam to be more independent now than the most of the Murdoch empire ...(It seams someone in the management fears the truth and told the personnel to be silent or be fired) ... could this be true ?:whistling:

A rather large point that is getting missed here is that none of this is new. Orwell wrote about this sort of "journalism" long ago. The reason that this is big right now is mostly because of "who" was targeted, not the practice itself. I've read on a variety of sites, a lot of people saying "I didn't mind when it was celebs or politicians but..."

In my opinion we've got a collective responsibility here due to the vindictive journalistic practices that most love to see heaped upon their villain of choice, be it celeb, politician or just some random Joe that has a different belief set.

And media empires are hardly exclusive to Murdoch, he's just got the biggest. Jyllands Posten (the paper that published the Mohammed cartoons) and Politiken (the paper that accused them of predjudice etc and later apologised to the Islamic world on behalf of Denmark)

(try thinking of The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian for you UK readers) are owned by the same company. It's all just about money and marketing, finding a reader base and then catering to it's every whim.

As for US coverage of this, yeah, I'm not remotely surprised that it's not on Fox, but I'm also not at all surprised that it is in the NYT since it's about the guy who owns Fox.

Edited by greywaste

I am afraid he DOES own The Times, that is part of News International too.

Good grief, What doesn't this man have his hands in?

I think Hey You was referring to the New York Times - and perhaps reading into my post that I stated that Murdoch owned it - which I didn't.