The Asaault on the magical world of kids

kvnchrist

are child beauty pagents wrong  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is this child abuse

2. 2. are parents pushing their kids into these

You know, I've heard from the media and the internet about child modeling sites, taking pictures of little girls in skimpy outfits. I've seen "To Catch A Predator" when it was out. I've always applauded when I saw these perverts getting tossed into jail. I've heard of the rise of child internet modeling, which is discussed here.

watchdog groups

It seems the internet is filled with them and for a few dollars pedophiles can gawlk at as many girls as they wish. Though several of these sites have been shut down and their owners sent to jail. There are still many who are still up. I was under the understanding that these sites are under the radar, until I saw this, the last year

Toddlers and tieras

Pardon me, but isn't this the same thing as these perverts, and now they have it spread across the airwaves, with the consent and most likely the prodding of their parents.

Pardon me, but WT@

These girls should be playing with dolls and dressing up in their mothers bedroom, not learning how to be adolescents. Tell me these girls aren't getting a fast food education on how to be bulimic, How to ware make up to please adults and learn those awkward years of their early teens, when they are 5-6.

This is making children far too aware of their bodies, before they are ready to cope with this stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if their parents are pushing them into it. What insane idiot ever thought this up I don't know, but to put these young girls through the fashion world mix and give these child molesting monsters a nice little peek at their next victims is outrageous to me. They aught to take these kids away from these parents until the parents are mentally old enough to care for them.

Is this something that little girls want to do, on their own or are their parents, especially their moms trying to live out some fantasy life through their kids. Is this a form of child abuse, when parents are forcing their kids into the crazy world of the adults.

Yes and yes.

I consider young child modeling child abuse, and I consider all of these fashion shows child abuse as well.

Children have their minds pretty much formed during a young age, fill it with this kind of crap and they won't grow up very well.

I have to say though there is a age when I find this stuff acceptable. When a kid gets into their teens, I think they can start making their own decisions on modeling and such.

Pushing a child into something pointlessly body-punishing like modelling and teaching hir that ze is only a worthy person if ze is "pretty", is a horrendous thing to do, IMO. I say it's body-punishing because really, one has to have a super-thin body, and then there's the training to walk and sit in ridiculous outfits. I also say it's needlessly so because there's absolutely nothing wrong with a child being child-shaped :P Children, as in preteens and toddlers, do not look like scaled-down pinups and it's just awful and unnatural to see a child being forced to do pretty much the same stuff as an adult model.

However, teenagers as models, I wouldn't have any issue with provided that 1) they want to do it and 2) they're kept healthy when they're modelling, instead of being encouraged to be super-thin.

However, teenagers as models, I wouldn't have any issue with provided that 1) they want to do it and 2) they're kept healthy when they're modelling, instead of being encouraged to be super-thin.

The one thing about, even teenagers are their personal and financial security. With Face book and other places like that their is a good chance of being harrased and posibly someone finding out where they live.

Also, I've heard horror stories about parents becoming their agents and living off their kids income, rather than working. There has been more than one kid stop acting and modeling, just to find their parents have went through their bank accounts with a fine toothed comb.

Well, yeah, it's completely wrong for parents to just take advantage of their kids like that. One'd expect people to show some empathy and understand that they should be helping their children to be functional human beings in all aspects, regardless of talents...

Parents push their kids into it, and it isn't just little girls any more either. The kids have no clue what it's all about, they just want to make mommy and daddy happy. Left to their own devices, they really couldn't care less. I think the practice is abhorrent, and is indeed a form of abuse, and as such, should be illegal. More than one child star has made millions, only to find that when they come of age, they are broke.......

Jon-Benet Ramsey is a fine example as to just WHY this shouldn't be happening.

From what I've seen on TV these things in the US are appalling, is there a body over there responsible for child protection? The animals taking part in dog shows are treated with more respect.

They do have a child protection agency, but it seems like nobody really does anything to help child celebrities. It's sad.

From what I've seen on TV these things in the US are appalling, is there a body over there responsible for child protection? The animals taking part in dog shows are treated with more respect.

Well Jim, we have the "fine" agency known as the Child Protective Services, who (in theory) respond to reports and cases of abuse or neglect of a child on the part of a parent.

That being said, they, like most other government agencies, tend to fail at their job. And in the worst ways. Just look up the investigation back in... 2004? I think, of the Texas Child Protective Services regarding the suspicious numbers of deaths, poisonings, rape and teen pregnancy of those put under their care.

Edited by RZ1029

Well Jim, we have the "fine" agency known as the Child Protective Services, who (in theory) respond to reports and cases of abuse or neglect of a child on the part of a parent.

That being said, they, like most other government agencies, tend to fail at their job. And in the worst ways. Just look up the investigation back in... 2004? I think, of the Texas Child Protective Services regarding the suspicious numbers of deaths, poisonings, rape and teen pregnancy of those put under their care.

They sound like ours, they wait until the child is dead before taking an interest.