Fallout 4 Creation Kit Beta and an Important Notice to Survival Testers

SirSalami

OK FOLKS ... I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

This comment for all of those who DO NOT SUFFER CTD on loading ... This appears to be a different problem.

In a nutshell:

1. Open latest version of NEXUS Mod Manager

2. Disable ALL your plugins. Do this on your Plugins TAB

3. Exit NEXUS Mod manager

4. Run your Fallout 4 launcher

5. On the main menu, there should be a brand new MOD menu

6. One-by-one enable all your installed MODS using the new MOD menu

7. Load your save

I did this and all of my MODS came back on-line.

OH ... by the way ... YOU MUST GO TO BETHESDA.NET and create an account in order for the new MODS tab to work. The account creation is free. (They want your info to send you more marketing SWAG)

It appears as if Bethesda REALLY REALLY wants you to play by their rules for MOD management. You MUST use their MOD API, (application programmer interface), in order to manage any MODS.

I went nuts trying to figure out how to get the MOD menu to light up. Once I figured out that you had to have all existing MODS disabled... then and only then does the Fallout4 MOD menu button show up.

If you use this MOD menu button to manage your NEXUS installed MODS ... then you should be fine.

There is a very good reason to stay with NEXUS. The Bethesda.net MOD data base is closely regulated for M only content... This means that there may be no naked women or jiggly boobies allowed on Bethesda.net...

I, for one, like jiggly boobies and naked women. Therefore; I will stay with the NEXUS

Edited by krwada

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #37209760.

krwada wrote: OK FOLKS ... I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

This comment for all of those who DO NOT SUFFER CTD on loading ... This appears to be a different problem.

In a nutshell:
1. Open latest version of NEXUS Mod Manager
2. Disable ALL your plugins. Do this on your Plugins TAB
3. Exit NEXUS Mod manager
4. Run your Fallout 4 launcher
5. On the main menu, there should be a brand new MOD menu
6. One-by-one enable all your installed MODS using the new MOD menu
7. Load your save

I did this and all of my MODS came back on-line.

OH ... by the way ... YOU MUST GO TO BETHESDA.NET and create an account in order for the new MODS tab to work. The account creation is free. (They want your info to send you more marketing SWAG)

It appears as if Bethesda REALLY REALLY wants you to play by their rules for MOD management. You MUST use their MOD API, (application programmer interface), in order to manage any MODS.

I went nuts trying to figure out how to get the MOD menu to light up. Once I figured out that you had to have all existing MODS disabled... then and only then does the Fallout4 MOD menu button show up.

If you use this MOD menu button to manage your NEXUS installed MODS ... then you should be fine.

There is a very good reason to stay with NEXUS. The Bethesda.net MOD data base is closely regulated for M only content... This means that there may be no naked women or jiggly boobies allowed on Bethesda.net...

I, for one, like jiggly boobies and naked women. Therefore; I will stay with the NEXUS

OK ... after a bit more testing... It appears as if the MOD menu does go away.

I have found out that I need to do this every single time when I wish to play the game.

OH WELL...

In response to post #37135690. #37135865, #37142420, #37145675, #37149115, #37151315, #37153915, #37176995, #37180105, #37180520, #37203130 are all replies on the same post.

MajorDick wrote: For those getting CTDs (Crash To Desktop) with saved games after the latest patch (1.5.157.0), and you are using DEF_UI, you need to installed the DEF_HUD_15147patch

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10654/?tab=2&navtag=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout4%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D10654&pUp=1

After the latest FO4 patch (1.5.157.0) that dropped today, I received continuous CTDs trying to load saved games. I tried numerous things; disabling mods, etc., but nothing worked until I loaded DEF_HUD_15147patch, and it worked on the first try. Although it says it is for 1.5.147, it worked with 1.5.157.0.

I am off and playing again from my latest save without any issues so far.

I hope that helps everyone.
Outlander3734 wrote: If anybody is still having issues even after this, you need to change back to doing Archive Invalidation the old way. Remember when you needed to add:

, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\, VIDEO\

To the end of:

SResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\

under [Archive] in Fallout4.ini ? Well now you need to do that again. Remove bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 and your Fallout4Custom.ini, too. Everything should load at that point.
dimysama wrote: thank you outlander i was going crazy that most mods were not working, you just saved me
soulgamers wrote: Hi
:armscrossed: oh my god. it works now.

I did what MajorDick and Outlander3734 said.
and all my mods load in and the game works fine. I CTD every time but not now.

But first I had to Update NMM. or nothing worked.

so thanks to all of you for saving my game. :thumbsup: and blast the Bethesda silly updating.:verymad:

I'll just add. I have 131 mods all turned on and from Nexus.
and they now all are working.
TheBritishMelon wrote: This worked, thank you MajorDick and OutLander! c: <3

Despite not having the DEF UI mod AT ALL, getting the patch and such somehow fixed everything xD Thanks again!
Trrafide wrote: Tried changing back to the old ini settings, and still wouldnt load up. Installed Def_UI and patched it...
Did not have Def_UI beforehand i might add..
Everything working fine again..
Thank you all!!

Don't know if it was both together or just Def_UI. DEF-UI tells you in the "read me" do the binvalidatefiles=1 etc, etc... but I left them as Outlander3734 said.
gammagamma12 wrote: I did what Trrafide did and got mine to stop CTD-ing on game load.

Praise your knowledge and awesomeness MajorDick and Outlander3734

Im back in the wasteland kicking aft and taking names thanks to you guys!
dscrimager wrote: This is what worked for me so far.
smgilbert101 wrote: Thanks guys, this got me back up and running again. I've spent two days trying to get this sorted out.

If Bethesda supporters modders so much, why don't they show us any love? Every update and/or DLC seems to break the game. Maybe they should spend some time on Nexusmods, they might learn something.
jeibher wrote: CONFIRMED - DEF_UI, Pleasant UI and Valdacyl Item Sorting Are the mods that are getting me CTD Problems at Start Up -CONFIRMED

Also the FIX Above Works= "change back to doing Archive Invalidation the old way. Remember when you needed to add:

, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\, VIDEO\

To the end of:

SResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\

under [Archive] in Fallout4.ini ? Well now you need to do that again. Remove bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 and your Fallout4Custom.ini, too. Everything should load at that point."

THANKS!
PipBoy47 wrote: had the same issues and CTD, patch solved it -even though i never used DEF_HUD, that made me think:

try to disable no dotdotdot mod. this solved my problem.

I only used nodotdotdot for the interface, and it seems that this mod caused the crash. I assume that Bethesda changed something in the interface.

Update to one of my earlier comments. All is not quite well. Some mods work others do not. If I load thru NMM it still tells me I am missing mods. If I load thru Steam and such I get no warning about mods not active, just some are not working as intended. meh

In response to post #37179945. #37180065, #37187110, #37187155, #37187485, #37187870, #37188675, #37188720, #37188775, #37189305, #37189815, #37189895, #37190980, #37193285 are all replies on the same post.

bben46 wrote:

Answer to: Mods being disabled every time - or asterisks being removed. Same thing. You need to set your plugins.txt file to read only AFTER activating all of your mods, (Activating the mods in NMM puts in the asterisks for you)

To find the plugins.txt C:\users\Your user name\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\ Right click,on plugins.txt, left click on Properties and put a check in the box that says read only then click apply and then OK

krwada wrote: I tried this ... The game still does NOT recognize that there are MODS installed. It runs OK, but NO MODS!

Version 1.4 did not have this problem.

I wish I could roll 1.5 back to 1.4

I cannot do this... or at least, I do not know how to do this.
TylersInsanity wrote: I'm having the same problem. I usually know how to handle modding issues but right now I'm at a loss.
scarab77 wrote: Negative. This does not appear to work at all.
MorganEriksson1 wrote: i tried it and it kinda works still gives me the theres content that can not be blah blah but it dosen't say any mods names only a # or something but i load it and it works but everytime i start nmm i need to do the same thing again it hasen't been like this before nmm always did it for me i am also getting fps drops now witch i haven't got before even with ultra settings andd also for people how dont find the appdata folder try to type this in the windows search bar %localappdata%\Fallout4 it works for me could not find the C:\users\Your user name\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\
cormell wrote: Where's appdata? Must be in a different place in Windows 7 Can't find plugins.txt either.

Thanks Morgan. I should have read all of the 379 posts. lol

RaffTheSweetling wrote: appdata is exactly where described by bben46. On my computer it is in C:\users\Administrator\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\

Inside this folder I currently have:

DLCList.txt
loadorder.nmm.bak
loadorder.txt
Plugins.fo4viewsettings
plugins.nmm.bak
plugins.txt

(edit - sorry for confusing some names in earlier edit of this post.)
VulpineWolf wrote: @cormell
It's a hidden folder, you can get there by going to %appdata%.
Basil_oz wrote: The appdata directory & plugins.txt file are hidden on a lot of systems. You need turn your options to "show hidden folders/files" in the control panel. Best to google this to find out how to do it on your system.
bubinga64 wrote: Just to help, on my system Windows 10 automatically undoes the changes for whatever reason even after saving. Once you asterisk the plugin names, save, close and reopen to make sure it stays.

I have to copy the file, make the changes, then overwrite the original file for the changes to stick. I'm not sure of the root cause. I've had odd problems with win10 since it launched. It also borks the NMM config file on me every time win10 updates so I have to go in and delete that just to get NMM to open. NMM makes a new one when you delete it.
rayhne wrote: I activate all my mods through NMM and it always removes the *.
bubinga64 wrote: Question to bben46,

NMM has prompted me every time if I would like to allow it to set the file to r/w instead of read only while NMM is active. I haven't verified that it actually works because I've been manually managing the plugin.txt file. Is that a beta option that doesn't work yet? I'm asking due to your post.
Claysson2 wrote: Happened to me, turns out I needed to update my F4SE Version to 1.13 . The F4SELoader.exe starts the game before the Fallout4launcher.exe has a chance.

http://f4se.silverlock.org/
Augusta Calidia wrote: @bben46 - Does NMM automatically convert "plugins.txt" to "read only" if you launch Fallout 4 (or Skyrim or Fallout NV or whatever) using NMM?

I ask this question because every time I've inspected the Appdata "plugins.txt" file, its properties were NOT set to "read only." Furthermore, I have not myself reset the properties because Fallout 4 has run quite well without me doing that. Yet everything I've read indicates that the "plugin.txt" file must be set the "read only." Hence my question - does NMM reset the properties automatically to "read only" when the game is launched through NMM?

Thank you in advance for helping me in my confusion.

I been finding that I have to set the file from read only, manually put in the *s then save then set it back to read only, as every time I activate something thru NMM everything gets de-activated...

Knock on Wood this has been only way I can keep my mods running... its a pain, and I got a shortcut to the folder with the plugins text but it works...

Just a quick note:

For everyone saying the problem has to be certain mods, or UI mods, you are WRONG. Last night I uninstalled FO4, Nexus, Deleted ALL MODS. Re-download FO4, just vanilla, not even using Nexus at all, and it STILL CTD on start up.

Edited by Sertith

In response to post #37187570. #37193205, #37198105 are all replies on the same post.

ravernware wrote: Nice to see a couple of fixes are already out there. Tho I still have steam in offline mode so the latest update has not been downloaded to my rig (yet). I recommend everytime there is an update in beta and you are not going to be part of the testing to put steam offline. Then when the update goes live you can see what issues it caused and wait for a solution before getting all frustrated. Just an idea.
00CRAG00 wrote: A very GOOD idea indeed Lol I set [in properties setting] -

"to only update this game when I launch it"

and then when I notice one's ready to pop.. offline I go -

Until the f4se team gets a chance to do their magic, while also humbly waiting [patiently] for the pantheon of modding gods to s#*&#33; rainbows of glorious updates at their well-deserved leisure.

Its hard to witness all the comments in most threads -

about b.s. this and b.s that..

When its all completely avoidable.

Mods aren't risky but they can be complicated.

That's why forums like this exist.

Read, read and then read some more.

Then test. At your own risk Motha Fukkers
vlaka wrote: we shouldn't have to tread on egg shells to enjoy our gaming.

I do generally agree but on one hand..

We can't expect too too much from Besthesda on all this bc I'm not exactly sure but there could of been similar issues while even Skyrim was being officially patched in its early, early stages.. I didn't get heavy into modding it until well after its base game version had been established. We're all in a bit of uncharted territory and quite frankly, its a risk to be using "unofficial" tools and mods and the community IMO shouldn't complain too much.

EVERYONE is doing their best. When updates happen,
expect some problems to occur.

I, myself have chosen to re-install not bc my game broke but bc it may be prudent to do so.. for umteen other reasons I.e. when re-building game profiles its preferable to start "fresh" just to be safe. There were a few things I've noticed that corrected by doing so.

Just read too about the whole Bethesda.net scenario
and it all makes perfect sense.

To a degree Lol I'll admit to being slightly frustrated but hey!

Comes with the territory, of doing what we love to do to "our" games. I will always love Besthesda games. Forever. Although, am not a "fan boy"

But I sure as shyte want to do as I please with it -
at my own risk of having to start over. Edited by Guest

In response to post #37179945. #37180065, #37187110, #37187155, #37187485, #37187870, #37188675, #37188720, #37188775, #37189305, #37189815, #37189895, #37190980, #37193285, #37212065 are all replies on the same post.

bben46 wrote:

Answer to: Mods being disabled every time - or asterisks being removed. Same thing. You need to set your plugins.txt file to read only AFTER activating all of your mods, (Activating the mods in NMM puts in the asterisks for you)

To find the plugins.txt C:\users\Your user name\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\ Right click,on plugins.txt, left click on Properties and put a check in the box that says read only then click apply and then OK

krwada wrote: I tried this ... The game still does NOT recognize that there are MODS installed. It runs OK, but NO MODS!

TylersInsanity wrote: I'm having the same problem. I usually know how to handle modding issues but right now I'm at a loss.
MorganEriksson1 wrote: i tried it and it kinda works still gives me the theres content that can not be blah blah but it dosen't say any mods names only a # or something but i load it and it works but everytime i start nmm i need to do the same thing again it hasen't been like this before nmm always did it for me i am also getting fps drops now witch i haven't got before even with ultra settings andd also for people how dont find the appdata folder try to type this in the windows search bar %localappdata%\Fallout4 it works for me could not find the C:\users\Your user name\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\
cormell wrote: Where's appdata? Must be in a different place in Windows 7 Can't find plugins.txt either.

RaffTheSweetling wrote: appdata is exactly where described by bben46. On my computer it is in C:\users\Administrator\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\

DLCList.txt
loadorder.nmm.bak
loadorder.txt
Plugins.fo4viewsettings
plugins.nmm.bak
plugins.txt

Basil_oz wrote: The appdata directory & plugins.txt file are hidden on a lot of systems. You need turn your options to "show hidden folders/files" in the control panel. Best to google this to find out how to do it on your system.
bubinga64 wrote: Just to help, on my system Windows 10 automatically undoes the changes for whatever reason even after saving. Once you asterisk the plugin names, save, close and reopen to make sure it stays.

I have to copy the file, make the changes, then overwrite the original file for the changes to stick. I'm not sure of the root cause. I've had odd problems with win10 since it launched. It also borks the NMM config file on me every time win10 updates so I have to go in and delete that just to get NMM to open. NMM makes a new one when you delete it.

NMM has prompted me every time if I would like to allow it to set the file to r/w instead of read only while NMM is active. I haven't verified that it actually works because I've been manually managing the plugin.txt file. Is that a beta option that doesn't work yet? I'm asking due to your post.
Claysson2 wrote: Happened to me, turns out I needed to update my F4SE Version to 1.13 . The F4SELoader.exe starts the game before the Fallout4launcher.exe has a chance.

Augusta Calidia wrote: @bben46 - Does NMM automatically convert "plugins.txt" to "read only" if you launch Fallout 4 (or Skyrim or Fallout NV or whatever) using NMM?

I ask this question because every time I've inspected the Appdata "plugins.txt" file, its properties were NOT set to "read only." Furthermore, I have not myself reset the properties because Fallout 4 has run quite well without me doing that. Yet everything I've read indicates that the "plugin.txt" file must be set the "read only." Hence my question - does NMM reset the properties automatically to "read only" when the game is launched through NMM?

jake1976 wrote: I been finding that I have to set the file from read only, manually put in the *s then save then set it back to read only, as every time I activate something thru NMM everything gets de-activated...

Knock on Wood this has been only way I can keep my mods running... its a pain, and I got a shortcut to the folder with the plugins text but it works...

I tried this and looks to be working for me. My fingers are crossed that it stays this way.

In response to post #37179945. #37180065, #37187110, #37187155, #37187485, #37187870, #37188675, #37188720, #37188775, #37189305, #37189815, #37189895, #37190980, #37193285, #37212065, #37219065 are all replies on the same post.

bben46 wrote:

DLCList.txt
loadorder.nmm.bak
loadorder.txt
Plugins.fo4viewsettings
plugins.nmm.bak
plugins.txt

jake1976 wrote: I been finding that I have to set the file from read only, manually put in the *s then save then set it back to read only, as every time I activate something thru NMM everything gets de-activated...

DPnavpoc wrote: I tried this and looks to be working for me. My fingers are crossed that it stays this way.

It doesn't. Installing or unistalling mods will reset it, then you'll have to reactivate all the plugins then set Plugins.txt back to read only. Hoping for an update to NMM soon.

Edited by ZombieArron

In response to post #37179945. #37180065, #37187110, #37187155, #37187485, #37187870, #37188675, #37188720, #37188775, #37189305, #37189815, #37189895, #37190980, #37193285, #37212065, #37219065 are all replies on the same post.

bben46 wrote:

DLCList.txt

loadorder.nmm.bak

loadorder.txt

Plugins.fo4viewsettings

plugins.nmm.bak

plugins.txt

DPnavpoc wrote: I tried this and looks to be working for me. My fingers are crossed that it stays this way.

It doesn't. Installing or unistalling mods will reset it, then you'll have to reactivate all the plugins then set Plugins.txt back to read only. Hoping for an update to NMM soon.

As ZombieArron said, it don't help with having the plugins.txt opened, but it has helped me slightly though, as explained below.

Hopefully this helps someone though. I have made the plugins.txt file in AppData/Local/Fallout4 to readable, each time (only 2 so far) I installed a new mod I check the plugins tab, they all showing they are ticked but opening the plugins.txt file they are not showing the * infront of each ticked mod. All I have to do is untick the mod I just installed, then retick it and all the mods are ticked back as it should be for me.

Incase it matters I using the latest NMM, v0.61.20 and F4SE 0_01_13. Have played a couple hours and so far all good. Ohh and not playing on Survival Difficulty either, incase it makes a difference.