Questions from a newcomer in modding

Samurok

Hello everyone !

I'm a frenchman so excuse my english in advance ^^'

Well lets get to the subject shall we?

As the CK is finaly available (albeit in beta) i decided to dive into modding. I have a lot of ideas and plans made. But lets be honest i dont know much about the modding tools... so i have a couple questions.

1) as i remember F3 and FNV had tutorials for their CK, back in the day my pc wasnt good so i did not try using those CKs. But are there tutorials for F4's CK ? If not where can i expect to find some after a while?

2) Do i have any chances to learn to make a mod , even a simple one, without 3D modeling experience? for exemple if i want to create npcs, can i do that ith only the ck?

3) Is there a point of making a mod with vanilla assets? like say if i want to add quests and such ?

and lastly

4) have you any advices of things NOT to do for starting modding?

i hope to read your answers :wink:

more questions will follow

Edited by Samurok

1) http://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=Main_Page Not that many tutorials there yet, but I'm pretty sure more will follow over time.

2) If you don't want to model either make mods that don't require new models or find other modders to work together with. You might to have to improvise sometimes, or scrap or change ideas around that, but there's no requirement to do either moddeling, texturing or sounddesign, and there are a lot of vanilla assets to choose from.

3) why reinvent the wheel? If there's already something that fits the bill for what you are trying to achieve, reuse it. That's what it's there for, and you can be certain the user has it (as opposed as needing to upload it for them or have to require them downloading another mod)

4) Anything you absolutely don't want to do. Modding is about what you want and think would be fun to have, improve the game etc. So anything you mod is fine, even if I personally won't agree with it.

Thanks a lot for the encouraging answers!!! I'll begin working with that CK as soon as possible.

For now i have a weird crash with the ck when i go in "data" and select anything to activate, the CK crash... but i guess i'm not doing something correctly so i'll wait for the tutos :)

I'm barely ahead of you as far as mod experience, but from what I can tell:

1. I've been following along with the CK Skyrim tutorials, and it looks like they still apply for the most part.

2. Yes, I think so.

3. Yes, I think so.

4. Hang around here long enough and I'm sure you'll pick up some 'do-nots'.

Edited by radiumskull

Hey, about your crash problem: find the CreationKitCustom.ini and add under [General]

"sLanguage=FR" (your game language, I guess)

I had this issue too, because I'm using a german game version. The CK seems to hate different languages :D

I'm looking for tutorials either. Especially the NPC packages are driving me crazy :P

1. I would be willing to bet that Bethesda is going to release a set of tutorials as soon as they release the non beta version of the Creation Kit. But if not, plenty of other people will be putting videos on YouTube.

2. You only need to 3d model if you want to make new assets. You can create characters and customize them just as much as you customize your player character. Plus, there are people like me who are willing to provide 3d modeling to others.

3. If you have a good story to tell, there is no need for new assets in a quest mod. Everyone wants more story. The Nexus is usually over saturated with new weapons, armors, character models, mechanics changes, texture packs, and so on... But what good is all that stuff when you have already played the vanilla quest 11 times? People need context in which to use their new toys, otherwise new toys are no fun. The modding community needs more quest mods more than anything. (obviously Fallout 4 doesn't have any because the Creation Kit isn't even fully out, but Skyrim 4 years later is still top heavy with toys and proportionally low on quests)

4. Don't trust anyone. If someone says they are working on a DLC size mod with 30+ hours of content and a whole new worldspace, you can assume that project is just a pipe dream that won't even get started more or less finished. Voice actors will let you down. Fellow modders will let you down.

Start with something small, because even small things become big by the time everything is implemented.

Edited by TeamBacon

1) covered above, tutorials etc will come of course, but remember, CK is still in beta.

The papyrus section covers a LOT of stuff. Could do with more examples though.

2) absolutely. I've made a couple already, no 3D extra stuff involved yet.

3) again, absolutely. Use what's there if it fits your needs. eg: prewar stove (a clean one, unbroken) I used that to make a craftable clean stove that's a cook station. Same for a clean prewar BBQ.

For questing, there are a ton of scripts already there, and you can modify those/make your own to fit your needs. That's what I'm on now, trying to get a fridge that can cool drinks. (although, I think I may have just thought of another way to do that.... see, extra coffee does help) :P

4) start small and work up. I'm going to be doing a full up RedRocket Nightclub down the road, but have to work my way up to be ABLE to do it.

So, small things. How to change items around, make new craft recipies. How to put something into the game (my cache mod did that)

I'm going to be doing a full up RedRocket Nightclub

Man...the red rocket is quickly becoming the new Goodsprings Saloon/Sleeping Giant Inn/Bannered Mare... :tongue:

Yep. And just as boring.