Why are mods getting so few Endorsements?

TheGrimblade

I know the Creation Kit just came out, and people are testing out the Bethesda.net services, but there seems to be a distinct lack of endorsements for mods right now. The most popular mod in the hot files right now has 381 endorsements. A month ago, most mods that made it to hot files would have over 1000 endorsements in no time.

Thoughts and opinions as to why there are so few endorsements right now?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been like that as long as I have been a member here, so I see no real difference. My stand alone version of NVInteriors Urban edition has 18,686 unique downloads and 1,484 endorsements. It was combined with Chuck's edition to become NVInteriors Project which has 127,487 DL's and 10,162 endorsements. I can only speak for myself, but I endorse every mod I download, use, and works. My enjoyment is secondary to a mod working properly and is subjective, so I don't use that as a metric when endorsing. They are not the most popular mods on the site, but they are noteworthy to say the least.

Most bigger ideas came fast, the first mods have a lot of endorsements.

There are still good ideas now, but the official tools were missing, using xedit and experimental compiler to build something from scratch is not something easy to trust for a lot of users.

Now the CK is out, and Far Harbor is around the corner, people will come back, hopefully :)

I personally feel that Bethesda delayed the Creation Kit for too long. And they're paying for that with way lower users then they otherwise would have. They missed their golden window.

I'm especially disappointed that they felt they needed to release their two DLC before the CK. Especially for Wasteland Workshop - as a modder myself, I know everything in WW could have been done with mods.

For people who've done everything they can in the Commonwealth, the game is done. There isn't a whole lot of incentive to come back. The number of in-game players when the CK was released? Compare that with Skyrim. Fallout 4 falls flat.

Perhaps mod traffic will start picking up again now. But at this point I doubt that Fallout 4 will see nearly the same amount of excitement as Skyrim did when its CK was released.

And for those who were expecting a Creation Kit overhaul? A Creation Kit that doesn't freeze, doesn't make dirty edits, and shows you exactly what's in your plugins?

Creation Kit is like war. It never changes.

My easy answer, people are lazy, like really lazy.

Much like bigcrazewolf said, I endorse every mod I use and that works, there are about a handful of mods I have not endorsed but tried, all on account that I felt they didn't work as advertised. Endorsement isn't too much for an author to receive so long as the mod works. Though lack of endorsements towards total downloads is rather sad, I think the more annoying fact are some that would complain about a mod on the mods own page, and -not even use- the mod in question. That particular thing just baffles my mind. Those that would not use it, nor even try it, BUT have the audacity to complain about something?

Much like bigcrazewolf said, I endorse every mod I use and that works, there are about a handful of mods I have not endorsed but tried, all on account that I felt they didn't work as advertised. Endorsement isn't too much for an author to receive so long as the mod works. Though lack of endorsements towards total downloads is rather sad, I think the more annoying fact are some that would complain about a mod on the mods own page, and -not even use- the mod in question. That particular thing just baffles my mind. Those that would not use it, nor even try it, BUT have the audacity to complain about something?

Spot on!

My biggest piss off is when someone complains about an issue that is clearly stated in the description :wallbash:

Yeah, guilty as charged here. But at the same time, it's kind of also forgetfulness on my part. When I first started with mods in Skyrim and New Vegas, I'd endorse EVERY mod I liked. But now the only time I find myself endorsing anything is if I remembered to endorse it, or if I'm updating and realize I haven't endorsed it yet. Also while checking the mod menu right just now, I realized you can ENDORSE MODS THROUGH THE MENU.

Because around 90% of mod users aren't capable of expressing gratitude. It's simply bad manners.

In a community like this, this phenomena is truly inexplicable, but it obviously reflects a selfish and self-entitled regard towards mod provision.

As an mod author myself, I have had periods where I felt I would not work my ass off for such an ungrateful community ever again. Individual mod users calmed me down and expressed personal appreciation and that itself was enough to help me get over it.

As the statistics show, the community is selfish and thankless in general. There's your answer.

I don't think there are any intentional malice from mod users. Nothing new under the sun, people are just lazy or unaware of how easily they can endorse authors. Personally I think I've endorsed pretty much anything that worked as advertised regardless of my actual enjoyment of the mod for FO4 at least. For FNV I dare not look however..