Cut BOS Ending

Lehcar

Hmm... Don't get me wrong. A nice, happy Brotherhood of Steel ending, where Paladin Danse lives and retains his rank would be great. Danse was, by far, my favorite companion in the game. However, this whole overly progressive "robots are people too" stance is ridiculous.

I am religious, first off. As am I a huge fan of the Knights Templar. (The religious military order the B.o.S. was largely based on.) It is impossible for me to accept that the concept of building an advanced computer system, and throwing in a few cloned organs could "somewhere along the way" result in a living soul.

When you save Danse, or rather his robotic imitation who, by the way, most likely killed and replaced our beloved Paladin, Maxson gives a very passionate lecture conveying the same mindset. Now, it's not called a brotherhood 'cause it sounds cool. The rest of the faction looked to Maxson as the perfect leader. They follow the same codex, share the same morals, and swore the same oaths.

Killing Maxson would be like killing the Grand Master of the Templar Order. You wouldn't be a hero worthy of leading the Brotherhood. You would be a murderer, who killed the man they all looked up to, in the name of everything they deem unholy.

I don't agree with everything the B.o.S. does in Fallout 4. Namely gouging farmers for crops the scribes could be cultivating themselves. And destroying the entire Institute lab, rather than using the technology down there to benefit the Commonwealth, and the Brotherhood as a whole. But, otherwise, I'd say this is the most morally sound and effective the B.o.S. has ever been at one time.

Personally, I would like to see an alternate ending to Danses' questline that didn't end with his being replaced by a synth. But given that those who actively take part in these types of discussions seem to lean towards the synth fascination, I'm not holding out hope. Oh-well... I know it was rather long winded for a forum post, but there's my two cents. Hopefully someone agrees, and has something to interject.

Danse was replaced by a Synth LONG before Fallout 4 and was just a Rivet City citizen before he became a BoS member. You simply discover he is one.

Edited by Guest

Anyway, I understand the Brotherhood's hatred of Synths, or at least the idea of them. But the reason I won't join them is because of their hatreds of ghouls, those are humans, plain and simple.

I think that's Bethesda at this point being heavy handed with analogies. "Ghouls = Ethnic Minorities" yada yada.

It's a shame, really. I can almost see the BOS making exceptions for pre-war ghouls, stashing them away in a lab together to write down and recall all they know from the time before. They're literally pre-war relics. Having them act as advisors, like crazy liches. Hell, give them guards in case they go feral or something. Once you're effectively immortal (like a ghoul), you need something to do with your life. For some people, studying might suit this perfectly. It gives them a place in the world, a reason to keep on going. But, BOS hates ghouls.

I don't agree with everything the B.o.S. does in Fallout 4. Namely gouging farmers for crops the scribes could be cultivating themselves. And destroying the entire Institute lab, rather than using the technology down there to benefit the Commonwealth, and the Brotherhood as a whole. But, otherwise, I'd say this is the most morally sound and effective the B.o.S. has ever been at one time.

You have to realize that the whole mission on getting food for the Brotherhood is not officially sanctioned. It is off the books.

If the voice snippets still exist in the CK, maybe the quest objectives for those lines are still intact. If so, someone can just re-add the cut content back into the game. Would be nice for this to be fixed.

Anyway, I understand the Brotherhood's hatred of Synths, or at least the idea of them. But the reason I won't join them is because of their hatreds of ghouls, those are humans, plain and simple.

I think that's Bethesda at this point being heavy handed with analogies. "Ghouls = Ethnic Minorities" yada yada.

It's a shame, really. I can almost see the BOS making exceptions for pre-war ghouls, stashing them away in a lab together to write down and recall all they know from the time before. They're literally pre-war relics. Having them act as advisors, like crazy liches. Hell, give them guards in case they go feral or something. Once you're effectively immortal (like a ghoul), you need something to do with your life. For some people, studying might suit this perfectly. It gives them a place in the world, a reason to keep on going. But, BOS hates ghouls.

I just took that one as the boy not understanding the difference between a pre-war ghoul and a feral. I don't recall ever seeing a case of B.o.S. troops being anti ghoul in any Fallout, just the Enclave. (Nor do I recall ever laughing as hard while reading a forum as I did at "Dead Sea" levels of saltiness from your previous post. We're definitely on the same page there.)

You have to realize that the whole mission on getting food for the Brotherhood is not officially sanctioned. It is off the books.

You have a point there. It's entirely up to the player in both whether you take it, and how you deal with it. Until I got my charisma up, I nearly went broke trying to buy all the crops.

You have a point there. It's entirely up to the player in both whether you take it, and how you deal with it. Until I got my charisma up, I nearly went broke trying to buy all the crops.

"Hey Maxson. I'm kind of the General of the Minutemen. Yeah, I don't know how that happened either. Anyway, I'm super fed up of having to guard the settlements myself. Send a squad out to be on call for Preston and you can have all the free extra crops you want. I'll even plant them for you personally, just stop him marking stuff on my map."

Edited by Athanasa

My ideal Brotherhood-Railroad-Minute Men alliance ending is something like this: You (with VERY high speech check) convince Elder Maxson that with the Institute destroyed and thus no way to create more Synths, the Synths are no threat to the Commonwealth. You also convince him that Ghouls are a valuable source of pre war knowledge. This is of course, unlikely, but, one can hope.