Mods don't work with Steam

Hanker109

I purchased New Vegas believing it was the same way to install as Oblivion and Fallout 3 but the thing is that Steam popped up asking me to open an account and then I had to waith for the game to dowload for several hours. I tried to install mods the same way as in the previous games but none worked even using FOMM. Some mods only have one esp and the way to install is to copy that into the Data Folder. I checked the requirements before installing so there should be no problem. I notice that the file structure is quite different that the regular games so maybe there must be a different way to install these mods. Is there a version of this game that takes Steam out of the equation? I don't like steam popping up with offers all the time. Thanks for any help in advance.

Sincerely,

Hanker109

All new vegas versions that are legal use steam, popups can be disabled in the settings. If your ESP's are not showing up after putting them in data folder its probably a UAC issue so set the game to run as admin or disable UAC.

Is there a version of this game that takes Steam out of the equation? I don't like steam popping up with offers all the time. Thanks for any help in advance.

You can go into the Steam Settings and disable those offers. Once you've installed the game you can also run in offline mode.

Take some time to disable all the bits of Steam you think are intrusive, but if you plan to use any NVSE mods then leave 'Enable Steam Community in-game' checked.

You can go into the Steam Settings and disable those offers. Once you've installed the game you can also run in offline mode.

Take some time to disable all the bits of Steam you think are intrusive, but if you plan to use any NVSE mods then leave 'Enable Steam Community in-game' checked.

Just curious why that is and what happens if you turn it off.

Hanker109, dumb question but are you sure you went down the file tree to SteamApps\common\fallout new vegas (where the actual game folder is? I only ask because the first time I loaded it I was mightily confused having never been on Steam before. Edited by maboru

<...>but if you plan to use any NVSE mods then leave 'Enable Steam Community in-game' checked.

Just curious why that is and what happens if you turn it off.

The reason is in the readme installation section...

"2. Launch NV via running nvse_loader.exe. Enabling the Steam Community option (enabled by default) will allow you to launch the game via Steam's standard UI."

So you don't strictly need it :)

I always use FOMM which in turn calls nvse_loader.

im having a similar problem, this isnt my main pc, this is a secondary one so i downloaded new vegas via steam...well thats caused me to lose track of the data folder entirely xD i have no idea where the hell it went as such its making placing any mods a total pain in the arse.

If you installed steam to its default then its probably under program files, which is then nestled into steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas

You could always uninstall steam, then set it to your own desired path (such as c:\steam). Unfortunately and quite frustratingly (one of the few things I hate about Steam) is they dont let you install games to your own chosen directories. Only steam its self can be installed where you choose.

If you installed steam to its default then its probably under program files, which is then nestled into steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas

You could always uninstall steam, then set it to your own desired path (such as c:\steam). Unfortunately and quite frustratingly (one of the few things I hate about Steam) is they dont let you install games to your own chosen directories. Only steam its self can be installed where you choose.

or you could just use the technique in the steam forms

to simply and easily move your entire steam folder at one time

without uninstalling