Depression

kvnchrist

Marharth...

Its called trust. In a debate topic...I think it would be OK to give people the benefit of the doubt. It isn't like if someone lies its a big deal.

I have a WHOLE bunch of stuff I want to say to you now...but I would get kicked off the forums.

Your insinuations and arrogance astonishes me.

Let me give you some advice....SHUT IT. No one died and made you the debate topic god. Personal experience has always been and will be a part of debate here. This is not an official collegiate debate team for gods sake. Also your argument that personal experience being null and void as it can not be verified is the worst counter argument I have ever heard. Stick to your wiki exploring.

Any respect for you that I may have had on these forums just went right out the window. Shame on you for continuing down that road.

I am really out of here also.

I will say again that personal experience does matter, but it can't be verified on a internet debate forum.

What's the point of a debate if you trust the other persons information?

Why does that only apply to experience, why can't it also apply to facts and information? Its hard for me to believe that people think that I should trust their experience. Why can't you trust my information too? Why does that only apply to experience?

Does no one understand why that's flawed?

EDIT: This is seriously for another topic though.

Using personal experience to make a point is indeed valid, even though there is no way for you to independently verify the veracity of such statements. Accepting them as that persons EXPERIENCE is just a matter of courtesy. Presenting OPINIONS as facts, without some backup though, that won't fly. If someone states flat out, that they have mental disabilities, that were relieved/reduced via medication, and allowed them to live something bearing a closer resemblance to a normal life, why would you doubt that? What you are doing is the next best thing to flat out calling someone a liar. Even though you try and couch it in 'logic'..... You ain't Spock. Don't try and pull that rabbit out of the hat, someone will come along and shoot that one down quickly.

So their argument can be strengthened by personal experience even if they can't prove that the same thing that they claim to happen to them also happens to others?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marharth...

Its called trust. In a debate topic...I think it would be OK to give people the benefit of the doubt. It isn't like if someone lies its a big deal.

I have a WHOLE bunch of stuff I want to say to you now...but I would get kicked off the forums.

Let me give you some advice....SHUT IT. No one died and made you the debate topic god. Personal experience has always been and will be a part of debate here. This is not an official collegiate debate team for gods sake. Also your argument that personal experience being null and void as it can not be verified is the worst counter argument I have ever heard. Stick to your wiki exploring.

Any respect for you that I may have had on these forums just went right out the window. Shame on you for continuing down that road.

I will say again that personal experience does matter, but it can't be verified on a internet debate forum.

Why does that only apply to experience, why can't it also apply to facts and information? Its hard for me to believe that people think that I should trust their experience. Why can't you trust my information too? Why does that only apply to experience?

Using personal experience to make a point is indeed valid, even though there is no way for you to independently verify the veracity of such statements. Accepting them as that persons EXPERIENCE is just a matter of courtesy. Presenting OPINIONS as facts, without some backup though, that won't fly. If someone states flat out, that they have mental disabilities, that were relieved/reduced via medication, and allowed them to live something bearing a closer resemblance to a normal life, why would you doubt that? What you are doing is the next best thing to flat out calling someone a liar. Even though you try and couch it in 'logic'..... You ain't Spock. Don't try and pull that rabbit out of the hat, someone will come along and shoot that one down quickly.

So their argument can be strengthened by personal experience even if they can't prove that the same thing that they claim to happen to them also happens to others?

I would point out, that just because one person is helped by a certain drug, that does not necessarily imply that another person will react the same way. That's just the way it goes with medicine in general. Mental health is no different. Some folks are allergic to penicillin, so, does that mean EVERYONE is allergic to it?

Is someone states that they were helped by X drug, why would you not take that at face value?

Marharth...

I would point out, that just because one person is helped by a certain drug, that does not necessarily imply that another person will react the same way. That's just the way it goes with medicine in general. Mental health is no different. Some folks are allergic to penicillin, so, does that mean EVERYONE is allergic to it?

Is someone states that they were helped by X drug, why would you not take that at face value?

What I have been trying to say is that personal experience with medicine varies for different people. Personal experience with taking the medicine should not be counted as a valid argument since many cases differ so much.

Marharth...

What I have been trying to say is that personal experience with medicine varies for different people. Personal experience with taking the medicine should not be counted as a valid argument since many cases differ so much.

I am missing your logic here. Because the same medicine doesn't help EVERYONE that takes it, if one person finds it helpful, their experience isn't valid? WTF?

In that case, someone claiming the use of aspirin helped them would also be invalid, since it doesn't work for everyone....... Your statement is meaningless.

Marharth...

I am missing your logic here. Because the same medicine doesn't help EVERYONE that takes it, if one person finds it helpful, their experience isn't valid? WTF?

In that case, someone claiming the use of aspirin helped them would also be invalid, since it doesn't work for everyone....... Your statement is meaningless.

Aspirin is not nearly the same as medication for depression.

Marharth...

Isn't it? It is used to treat a specific ailment. It is a drug. It works for some, it doesn't for others. (me being one of them unfortunately) How is it different?

Marharth...

Isn't it? It is used to treat a specific ailment. It is a drug. It works for some, it doesn't for others. (me being one of them unfortunately) How is it different?

The medicines have different results that are caused by different chemicals.

However...

I am probably being biased due to my hate for pharmaceutical companies.

Would you people just quote thing you are responding to? The size of the post are getting stupid. There is a cut and paste and other quoting options.

:wallbash:

The reason we don't get a grip is because this speculation sounds a lot like everyone is saying, "Oh if you only busied yourself more and were not so lazy then you would be fine!"

I am hoping you don't mean it that way, but that is EXACTLY how it sounds.

Sorry, but it sounded to me that the person who I quoted was leaving the thread because my question was too stupid to respond to.

As a matter of fact someone said that awhile back someone asked if the thread was still talking about Depression. and so he was leaving. I'm not the smartest person but I don't think my comments are stupid enough to make people leave a thread