I cannot do the Beth FO4 forums

bigcrazewolf

Why would anyone use Beth.net? This is the Internet- you know that insanely fantasic creation of our generation that arose from users- NOT corporations. When old school dead-head IT corporations TRIED to make an impact on the early Internet, they failed over and over again.

Modding on Beth games requires ZERO official contact with Beth once you have the game and the tools (official and/or unofficial). Nexus is a god-given resource. Other indy resources for modding exist as well. Beth is the WORST possible curator of the modding scene.

The ONLY serious modders who have gravitated to beth.net have dollar signs in their eyes. Beth is bringing back paid mods (on the console side, one way or another) and Beth has personally contacted these 'names' in order to dangle the financial carrot before them once again.

But modders who are not driven by the (in most cases) fantasy of serious income have ZERO incentive to support beth.net over existing resources. Let Beth.net have its censored trivial 'horse armour' for cash style mods, and let the real modding continue on the Nexus. I know Nexus does a poor job of supporting the technical aspect of modding - being more of a hosting and showcase service for finished mods- but that could change.

Meh, if they want to sell mods more power to them. Dear god, how many of us have tried to make a nice looking set of armor or gun? After about 5 minutes I wanted to get seriously drunk. Some companion and quest mods are also high quality. Sofia and Arissa were great companions(for skyrim), and easily added more fun then say a wasteland workshop.

On the downside, they really need to vet s#*!. No selling of crowbars and etc. They also need a price ceiling, and a certain amount of content to put a price tag on the mod.

Just on the site in general, I've noticed that it seems like 90% of all users are essentially 10 years old. So many comments on the Unofficial FO4 patch mod (the most popular mod on the site), for example, are just idiots asking for stuff. They're like "someone please make [insert stupid request] for me and get back to me quickly thanks." Like what are you doing? So many of the mods are not screened, and do very little. I saw a mod the other that said in the description "don't download this, it will cause CTD's" how does that get by the "screening?"

@zanity-

This topic is referring to the forums and not the mod download area of Bethnet. Bethesda has operated their own discussion forums at forums.bethsoft.com for a decade plus. A few months ago, those forums began migrating over to Bethnet. The old Bethsoft forums functioned much like the ones here. The new ones are unfortunate, at best.

I wish my Pip boy light was as bright as those forum pages, they'll make you snowblind.

The 1-3 pages at a time are indeed very annoying.

Clicking on next page at the bottom takes you to the bottom of the next page instead of to the top, weird.

Poster names and avatars don't stand out at all, almost look like part of the reply.

Thank God for Nexus. :)

No BBCode support, Can't see who's viewing the thread at the time, can't see who the last poster of the thread is, nobody has a post count, or any ranks (although that last one is a minor gripe, but only one of many).

Yeah, Bethesda's new official forums are an absolute disgrace. Many of the old time members have simply decided it's not worth it anymore.

EDIT: Oh, and the list of banned words is absolutely ridiculous, and with no way of telling what those words are, it's an absolute nightmare trying to edit your post simply trying to figure out why you're not allowed to make that post...Seriously, your not allowed to post the word Charlie over there. Your also not allowed to post the word fist either.

No BBCode support, Can't see who's viewing the thread at the time, can't see who the last poster of the thread is, nobody has a post count, or any ranks (although that last one is a minor gripe, but only one of many).

Yeah, Bethesda's new official forums are an absolute disgrace. Many of the old time members have simply decided it's not worth it anymore.

EDIT: Oh, and the list of banned words is absolutely ridiculous, and with no way of telling what those words are, it's an absolute nightmare trying to edit your post simply trying to figure out why you're not allowed to make that post...Seriously, your not allowed to post the word Charlie over there. Your also not allowed to post the word fist either.

Hi Barrett! You can't say "redneck" either but "trailer trash" sails through just fine. If I cared and had internet, I'd give that filter a workout :P