Problems with Reinstalling Oblivion

gamemaster79

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi-i know the frustration,i always have to clear all registry entries related to oblivion upon uninstall or it seems a complete waste of time as it will always ctd. Edited by sha7mus

• 1 month later...

Stupid question, I know, but have you tried it with no mods at all?

I cant uninstall the game and the link at the top doesnt go to anywhere helpful. I had unintalled and reinstalled the game in a different location because i wanted to test something and then i think i renamed some folders because I didnt know that there was a default My Games folder until i had made one myself. eventually the uninstall couldnt find the right file so i tried to delete everything manually and after searching with the start menu and deleting everything with oblivion in i still cant reinstall!!!

the only things i havent deleted are all my mods and tha shouldnt matter. how do i fix this without erasing my whole frickin computer?

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the WIKI section of the Nexus

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Oblivion_reinstall_procedure. It covers what to do if you have deleted the files needed for the DVD uninstall to work. And how to clean your Registry so the new install will work properly.

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice. :thumbsup:

Stupid question, I know, but have you tried it with no mods at all?

I cant uninstall the game and the link at the top doesnt go to anywhere helpful. I had unintalled and reinstalled the game in a different location because i wanted to test something and then i think i renamed some folders because I didnt know that there was a default My Games folder until i had made one myself. eventually the uninstall couldnt find the right file so i tried to delete everything manually and after searching with the start menu and deleting everything with oblivion in i still cant reinstall!!!

the only things i havent deleted are all my mods and tha shouldnt matter. how do i fix this without erasing my whole frickin computer?

thankyou. i will give it a try

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i have big problem with reinstall. I have removed completely oblivion from my system, uninstalled it. removed documents folder, game folder, registry data, cleaned computer with ccleaner. Removed any file that has anything to do with oblivion, even my save games. Now i want to install vanilla back, but setup wont start. It gets some error and crashes after i hear some starting music.I have tried fix errors from drivers. I have tried to install some windows updates again, it didn't help. I have tried to install files with cab extractor. I get files but oblivion don't start whitout running setup properly. The problem is the setup that crashes not the game itself. What to do? i have red links in this thread, they don't help much. :sad:

edit add: i try replace all dll files that show in error data next. i report here if it helps.

Edited by raatorotta

Hi, i have big problem with reinstall. I have removed completely oblivion from my system, uninstalled it. removed documents folder, game folder, registry data, cleaned computer with ccleaner. Removed any file that has anything to do with oblivion, even my save games. Now i want to install vanilla back, but setup wont start. It gets some error and crashes after i hear some starting music.I have tried fix errors from drivers. I have tried to install some windows updates again, it didn't help. I have tried to install files with cab extractor. I get files but oblivion don't start whitout running setup properly. The problem is the setup that crashes not the game itself. What to do? i have red links in this thread, they don't help much. :sad:

edit add: i try replace all dll files that show in error data next. i report here if it helps.

Navigate to the C:\Program Files\Common File\installshield folder. Rename it. Try the install again.

Navigate to the C:\Program Files\Common File\installshield folder. Rename it. Try the install again.

Thanks for post.

I tried that before and i tried it again, same crash appears.

I think oblivion installs some dll files that make the crash. i have list of over 30 different files from error report and i don't really wanna mess with wrong files. Does anyone know, does installing oblivion add any new versions of dll-files in system32 folder and which ones? And does replacing wrong dll's with old version of them cause anything bad?

Also my oblivion wasn't installed on default folder and i tried to fix dll-errors with 3 different programs. Nothing seems to work.