Okay, this has gone far enough.

Laurence9

Besides, we are talking about skyrim... It will be too cold for most of those thin clothes up there...

Has that ever stopped anyone?

Don't think so. As always, people will enjoy the Sun. (think about what I mean)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think so. As always, people will enjoy the Sun. (think about what I mean)

Page 3 reference may be lost on US readers...

I agree. There are some awesome mods out there that add to the game and still keep the original Elder Scrolls feel. I'd like my characters to fit into the surroundings, and unfortunately there aren't many mods out there that do that. The vanilla hair models are terrible, in my opinion. But I refuse to use anything that doesn't look natural because I don't want to have a character that's from another time. The same goes for clothing. I've downloaded many of the skimpy armor mods and tried to use them, but when I looked at my character in comparison to everyone else...it was just too much of a difference.

theRoadstrokers made an awesome Rogue outfit that I love using. It's fresh, new, beautiful, and it doesn't look out of place. That's the sort of mods I'd like to see more of.

http://www.coyotescorner.net/images/smilies/Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

This conversation shows up with amazing regularity. The thing is, people create and endorse what they like. People may well have different tastes than you do. If you want more male armors, the best thing you could do is make some yourself and hope it'll inspire others to do the same.

http://www.coyotescorner.net/images/smilies/Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

This conversation shows up with amazing regularity. The thing is, people create and endorse what they like. People may well have different tastes than you do. If you want more male armors, the best thing you could do is make some yourself and hope it'll inspire others to do the same.

And with amazing regularity people are told they can't have an opinion on the subject or discuss it sensibly. With the emphasis on sensibly.

I know you didn't say this ub3rman, but I'm pointing something out to other people who like to jump in when this subject is discussed, or an attempt is made to discuss it.

There is no ruling majority on the subject of skimpy vs non skimpy, although some seem to think they belong to the skimpy plus ruling side. People should be able to express a preference for either (as long as it's kept civil) without being shut down, and/or called a prude or pervert, as I've seen happen many times before. I don't like anime at all, in any form, and I should be able to say so as I don't intend to trash particular mods or their creators.

I happen to agree with the OP and Isabela on clothing and armour more fitting to the spirit of the actual base game, and as much as people hate the word "realism" in a fantasy setting there is huge scope for just that as far as believability goes. However, I do use a lot of armour, clothing, (skimpy and not) hair and weapons that don't fit the setting and looks out of place, if I play in 3rd person to see it more than once that is. I've come to prefer playing in 1st person 95% of the time.

It's just as well the game is so versatile and we can play as we like with the type of mods we like, but we should still have a right to discuss a preference. Trouble is as much as this is a viable subject, some people just can't help themselves and turn it into an immature flame fest because of their own insecurity.

Edited by Maigrets

The problem comes in when someone insists on posting that mods preferred by some other 'faction' are wrong and should not be used. That the people who would use such mods are perverts or playing the game wrong and get incensed when they are criticized for telling others how they should play the game. From there it seems to degenerate into a flamefest. I have banned people from both camps over this. If you insist on arguing this, be sure to keep it civil as I really don't care which side you are on. I do care if you start flaming or trolling to force your point of view on others.

All too often these sorts of threads are shut down far too early by overzealous though well intentioned moderators - and I don't only mean Nexus, Beth is much worse for this. Clearly there are lot of people in the OB community who would be sympathetic to the views of the OP. As to why their tastes seem to be underrepresented in the numbers of mods being released is a bit of a puzzle to me.

I've been thinking about this for a couple of years now and still haven't come to any solid conclusions. Is it that modders are simply doing what they want to do and that is why we have all the skimpy stuff? Or are modders playing to the crowd and giving them what they want?

Could it be there is a difference between people playing female characters and people playing male characters? Maybe people playing males are more interested in gameplay mods and not as interested in clothing? Much like in real life where males often dress conservatively with plain colors (black, blue, beige) and uninteresting design. Whereas women are often much more flamboyant in their attire.

The stereotype would be we guys over at the tech counter looking at all the new gadgets while the girls are all lined up at the cosmetic counter. So maybe what we see in Oblivion modding is actually a reflection of real life, and maybe when males play female characters we develop a little bit of their mindset - no offence meant to any real woman reading this, I'm just thinking from the male perspective, which is mostly incapable of understanding you.

Of course a lot of modding is endorsement driven. You see this a lot with younger or new modders begging for endorsements, and you can come to the conclusion that pursuit of endorsements was a strong motivating factor for them. And I don't condemn them for that. Endorsements do give you this wonderful warm fussy feeling that could easily become like an addictive drug.

As a modder I have kind of a split personality. I play both male and female characters. My male characters are a manifestation of my self, or how I would like my self to be. My female characters are more likely to conform to my perception of an attractive and desirable woman.

As a player I like things that fit in to the game world, but when I pop open blender I am more interested in recreating things I see in real life. There is a high that you get from recreating something you see in a magazine or on the net in blender and photoshop, and then seeing it in game. At that point the fact that it doesn't fit in the game world doesn't seem to matter.

With Skyrim I would expect the current trend in clothing and armour to continue. There will likely be an early effort (assuming it is possible) to port the HGEC body into Skyrim. And then there will be a flood of requests to port outfits form oblivion. I hope I'm wrong about that, but you know the Oblivion modding community will become the Skyrim modding community, and when we pack our tents and move there… we will take a lot of our baggage with us.

Edited by RGMage2

For those who are interested in aiming for a "more realistic" medieval clothing look for men (and for that matter women) in the game, may I point you towards this thread - Men's Medieval Clothing . Anyone capable of making meshes for clothing is especially welcome :) .

For people interested in discissung "realism in the game" generally, please feel free to wander over to Keeping it "Real" where (as long as you are polite and respect the other person's right to hold a different viewpoint) we are happy to discuss anything to add to the immersion experience of the game - be it background technology, clothing, buildings, or whatever.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Also, when it comes to making the meshes, skimpy outfits are much easier than full platemail and need less textures made - A lot of beginning modders will make skimpy outfits so that they familiarize themselves with the process.

yeah i get pretty sick of them as wel i come on!

if you wanne see some nudes search the internet there is enough:P

but really its a game shy do we want to see naked people in a game?

sorry if this sounds offended because its not mentioned that way