Strikes

Akrid

Quake3Arena has been around longer then Morrowind and it's community is thriving, like crazy, some of the quakers are so good their abilities seem godlike (I know one of the top three in the world, or was) Anyway Some games will live on forever therefore so will their ability to gain fans, the games may take diffrent incarnations but Morrowind source has changed before so it is possible it could grow and evolve, who knows maybe one day for a Elders Scolls 4 multiplayer modder online game :o

So thats why you don't want a perminent IP ban, If I ever go to 2 strikes I would quit the site just to prevent the ban, even if I never post on the site, I would have the option to temp-join to download somthing then quit again just so I'm not tempted to post anything when my mebership is hanging by a thread.

That still doesn't work though, because those with a high enough level would see it as a get outta jail free card. They will already be at a high enough level to cancel any strike that the make, so they might take advantage of that because they won't have a penalty. Better that it be left up to Mods discretion.

:halloween: Not true. Members with high postcount do not have the ability to negate strikes. Members like Marxist male without a father, and a few other non-moderator members with high postcounts, are higher-ranking, and not foolish enough to do stupid things to deserve strikes. Nobody but Dark0ne and moderators have the ability to remove a strike.

Lol, why do you care, this site will die in about half a year. People move on with games. Morrowind was popular now, it will not be later on. It's gonna be new games and so on.

Like Dark0ne said. There's 30000k members where only 500 actually posts. Just watch....half a year this is gonna be dead or close to. :lol:

Not so, sir.

May I direct your attention to the UESP ES site and various other sites for early mid-1990s games like CIV2.

These sites survive nicely, because they have a good community that cares.

I can see that here.

If people play the game, there will always be a community.

This community will go on as long as there is interest in whatever it is doing. Do I believe that the site will shut down after the MeMod is released? No. Why? Because the talented team that is here will be working to make it better, and, after that, I'm sure another project will arise. When and if TESIV comes out, it will fuel another wave of interest in the saga, and bigger and better ideas will come of it. That's the beauty of a site like this - it is flexible enough and open enough (even with whatever the strike - outs say) to adapt and survive.

As far as getting rid of strikes, I would say in certain circumstances it would probably be appropriate, others not. Perhaps the mods could have periodic parole hearings to look at the work of someone with strikes that has petitioned to have one removed. Then, if parole is granted, and the strike is removed, there would be a period of time where if another strike is warranted, the old one returns as well. After the time (3 or 6 months, maybe) the strike can be permanently removed.

Who knows, maybe the offender could be under the tutelage of one of the more senior members, who would be in contact with the offender to try to change whatever the behavior was that got people the strike in the first place. I know many people who get angry, do something bad, then instantly regret it and say they're sorry. Just sorry isn't enough. The reasons behind the activity have to be looked at and addressed before the person can go forward. Making a mistake is not a crime. Not learning from the mistake is.

Just a possible suggestion.

I like that idea, I originaly asked about this in hopes of a more well rounded strikes system, and somthing less etheral or fininite(sp?) It just seemed unforgiving, like I enter the Dark0nes house as a guest and I break a plate because I was carless, then after relizing my wrong I am held to that mistake forever, sure he has every right to ban me right there, but I would mearly ask for another plate. I got this analogy from a similar one the Dark0ne made so no-one can dis it :P

Aye, to carry on that analogy; I give you an extra two plates after the first one is broken. If you break them too, then I have every reason to believe you cannot properly hold a plate (or use a plate) and therefore give you no more.

Unforgiving would be instant bans for breaking the ToS you agreed to. Forgiving is giving you three chances.

It is easy to find proof to what Dark0ne says. Peregrine, a moderator now, has one strike. The way I see the system (correct me if I am wrong) is that when someone gets a strike it is a warning to that person, the Administration and their minions are willing to forgive and forget if you behave, but the strike remains there because you did do something wrong and there have to be consequences. Many legal systems work this way, if after breaking the law you prove you are a good citizen, even if you served time in jail, it does not (or at least it should not) affect you in trying to get a job, loan, car, etc. The record of what you did still remains as historical fact but it is all forgiven. I think that strikes really should not be removed over time, after all if the offender really learned his/her/its lesson, no more strikes will be issued and there will be no ban. It is all up to Dark0ne to decide if he wants to change things or keep them the same, I really don't mind either way. Whatever decision he comes to will probably be the best since from what I have seen he is very wise in the way these forums are handled.

And further more, I continue the analogy. Wow I stand in amazment when I am given two plates after breaking one, I see the Dark0ne's house is nice and many people always are in and out of it, sharing ideas, and plugins. I have much to share myself, I can bring to the house, but when I commit a wrong, I just don't wrong myself I wrong the others who would benifit from my contributions. So not breaking stuff becomes all important I am extra careful not to defile the house again, but I will never be given the chance to replace the plate I broke. Not that I am wanting nobody to know of what I have done, but I want not to be put in the same place as those who come to the house to pee on the floor and bust the $8,000,000 fish tank, or set fire to the pricless art hanging about. But I will keep my strike if it as you please. It's just that somtimes I bump into the plates and they shatter on the floor :wacko:

Unless a breach of rules is very flagrant few strikes without the poster getting a warning, often more than one. So if you want to run your analogy, it's like breaking a plate even after you have been requested to put it down. Don't worry about one strike. It's not going to interfere with your scope on the forums. And bumping into a plate and causing a smash is probably not going to get you a second strike.

Archived