The tall tales & tragedies of the Chattering Scroll Inn

myrmaad

"Indeed," Rhaine answered, "I thought his name appropriate."

She fingered a silver stud on Thanatos's bridle absentmindedly, "Your people remind me of the druids of my homeland. They have a healthy respect for nature and for life - taking only what is needed and giving back when they can. In this, they are much like we Doomguides. We are taught to respect all life...that every soul and spirit has value. It is our duty to destroy the abominations of the undead, as they are twisted perversions of life and defy the natural order of death. Some would be surprised to learn that we do not seek death or revere it. In fact, we do whatever is within our power to keep mortals safe from incidents that would shorten their lives. A natural death is what Lord Kelemvor wishes for all people, and it is his command that no man or woman die without a Doomguide at his or her side. To die alone is to die afraid, and fear anchors the spirit to the mortal world, as does hatred and anger. We are also taught to honor our ancestors and to study history, for without the endeavors of those who have gone before us, we cannot understand ourselves and where we are today."

Looking back at Reona, Rhaine analyzed the elf's attire more closely, and was puzzled. Her sword was naked, her feet were bare, and she wore a dress that was certainly not suited for travel. She decided to voice her curiosity, "Reona, your dress is more suitable for a funeral than a sojourn on foot. And your sword has no sheath to guard its blade. You may, of course, choose not to answer me, but I feel I must ask: why are you garbed so?"

"I suppose that I can tell my story to you. It will pass the time while we travel, after all," Reona looked over to Rhaine and smiled meekly, her pale cheeks tinged with a burning red. She looked back at the path ahead, took a deep breath, and closed her eyes for a split-second, thinking of how to phrase everything she had to say.

Her electric eyes, framed by long, delicately-curled raven lashes, seemed to lose their brightness and become downcast, looking like the pale sky on a rainy day. She parted her amaranth lips slightly and blinked with thoughtful slowness, noticing the soft glow of Ellundil's runes on her black sleeves, before her voice, quiet and hardly audible, broke the silence, "Aye, a funeral it was... Let me start at the beginning...

"I had a very normal childhood among the few other children in my village. One thing that was different about me, however, was that I and my brother were always together. We were an odd sight, I must admit," she paused and her lips curled up in a sad smile, "He was the tallest Bosmer I had ever met, and I was tiny, even by our standards. We contrasted sharply: he tall, I short; his hair like sunlight, mine like midnight; he garbed in all white, I in black; he was outgoing, I was introverted... The adults of our village affectionately referred to us as 'Angel and Demon'. As for why he is dead, I killed him."

Reona's eyes widened and her face contorted into a vicious snarl as she felt a sharp sting in her neck. An arrow. Her expression changed to one of shock as she noticed what was going on.

Ellundil's hand was wrapped around the shaft of the arrow that pierced her flesh.

Ellundil felt adrenaline course through his veins - a power emerging through his body - a feeling he never felt before. He was becoming stronger.

Within a moments notice his runes began to grow a blood-red, as terrible as death, and he sprung into the air - ready to strike the force that was about him and his party. Running through the trees near the road, fast as a streak of lightning - he drew his sword out. Twas' not long before he came upon the bandits that had sought to hinder the party's efforts (They are simple highwayman, so they were not far off) and began to go blood thirsty.

The power that Ellundil felt was extreme - and he loved it. As he easily pierced through the bandits one by one (like a steak knife through fresh butter) their souls came out of their bodies - entering Ellundil's rune - growing its aura. This went on - slewing bandit after bandit, when finally - he was full of souls.

Ellundil began to levitate in the air, his long hair rising high with him, and released a deathly cry of flame and terror. This engulfed the bandits' camp in rapid torrents of fire - leaving nothing but a large crater - and in the middle of it sat Ellundil exhausted - with even more bandits on the way.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I suppose that I can tell my story to you. It will pass the time while we travel, after all," Reona looked over to Rhaine and smiled meekly, her pale cheeks tinged with a burning red. She looked back at the path ahead, took a deep breath, and closed her eyes for a split-second, thinking of how to phrase everything she had to say.

Her electric eyes, framed by long, delicately-curled raven lashes, seemed to lose their brightness and become downcast, looking like the pale sky on a rainy day. She parted her amaranth lips slightly and blinked with thoughtful slowness, noticing the soft glow of Ellundil's runes on her black sleeves, before her voice, quiet and hardly audible, broke the silence, "Aye, a funeral it was... Let me start at the beginning...

"I had a very normal childhood among the few other children in my village. One thing that was different about me, however, was that I and my brother were always together. We were an odd sight, I must admit," she paused and her lips curled up in a sad smile, "He was the tallest Bosmer I had ever met, and I was tiny, even by our standards. We contrasted sharply: he tall, I short; his hair like sunlight, mine like midnight; he garbed in all white, I in black; he was outgoing, I was introverted... The adults of our village affectionately referred to us as 'Angel and Demon'. As for why he is dead, I killed him."

Reona's eyes widened and her face contorted into a vicious snarl as she felt a sharp sting in her neck. An arrow. Her expression changed to one of shock as she noticed what was going on.

Ellundil's hand was wrapped around the shaft of the arrow that pierced her flesh.

Ellundil felt adrenaline course through his veins - a power emerging through his body - a feeling he never felt before. He was becoming stronger.

Within a moments notice his runes began to grow a blood-red, as terrible as death, and he sprung into the air - ready to strike the force that was about him and his party. Running through the trees near the road, fast as a streak of lightning - he drew his sword out. Twas' not long before he came upon the bandits that had sought to hinder the party's efforts (They are simple highwayman, so they were not far off) and began to go blood thirsty.

The power that Ellundil felt was extreme - and he loved it. As he easily pierced through the bandits one by one (like a steak knife through fresh butter) their souls came out of their bodies - entering Ellundil's rune - growing its aura. This went on - slewing bandit after bandit, when finally - he was full of souls.

Ellundil began to levitate in the air, his long hair rising high with him, and released a deathly cry of flame and terror. This engulfed the bandits' camp in rapid torrents of fire - leaving nothing but a large crater - and in the middle of it sat Ellundil exhausted - with even more bandits on the way.

Rhaine's eyes went wide in horror, first at Reona's statement, then at the arrow that suddenly lodged itself in the Bosmer's neck. Thanatos neighed and half-reared, tossing his head and jerking his bridle out of Rhaine's grip. In a flash, Ellundil was off, pursuing the bandits who initiated the attack.

A roar escaped Rhaine's lips, and she transformed into the Angel of Death that she had sometimes become in Faerun. Her eyes blazed white-hot, irisless and pupiless. Her wings spread wide, her sword leapt into her hand, emerald flame engulfing its blade. She dashed after Ellundil, her speed enhanced by her magic and her wings as she flew.

He had already made short work of the bandit's nearby camp - appearing to have devoured their souls and unleashing their energy in an inferno only the most powerful of mages could conjure. He was spent, kneeling on the ground with fatigue.

More bandits joined the fray, but Rhaine's sword was eager for justice.

Her power had welled within her, and she allowed it to take over. A burst of white energy propelled her from the ground, and she flung her arms wide at the peak of her ascent. A shockwave erupted from her body, and the very heavens answered her call, black clouds gathering and lightning crackling. A forked bolt struck three bandits, and they were blasted backwards, hair and flesh smoking. A torrential downpour of acid rain followed, drenching the attackers in caustic liquid. They released unearthly screams as it ate away their skin and muscle, and Rhaine reveled in her Storm of Vengeance.

Divine energy still coursed through her limbs, charging her with a fire greater than adrenaline. She walked forward, blind to any emotion, plunging her sword into their hearts one by one. Their bodies disintegrated in green flames as she did so, succumbing to the power of the god of the dead.

The fight was over, but her work was not. Rhaine ran back to Thanatos as swift as the wind, leaving Ellundil to his own devices, her auburn hair flying like a banner.

Reona sat comfortably on Thanatos's back and watched her approach, calmly twirling the arrow between her fingertips, with naught but a scratch on her neck.

Rhaine, her power still strong, spoke with a voice that was doubled with an echo of a male's tone, her eyes an otherworldly white.

"You, Reona, have some explaining to do."

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Rhaine's eyes went wide in horror, first at Reona's statement, then at the arrow that suddenly lodged itself in the Bosmer's neck. Thanatos neighed and half-reared, tossing his head and jerking his bridle out of Rhaine's grip. In a flash, Ellundil was off, pursuing the bandits who initiated the attack.

A roar escaped Rhaine's lips, and she transformed into the Angel of Death that she had sometimes become in Faerun. Her eyes blazed white-hot, irisless and pupiless. Her wings spread wide, her sword leapt into her hand, emerald flame engulfing its blade. She dashed after Ellundil, her speed enhanced by her magic and her wings as she flew.

He had already made short work of the bandit's nearby camp - appearing to have devoured their souls and unleashing their energy in an inferno only the most powerful of mages could conjure. He was spent, kneeling on the ground with fatigue.

Her power had welled within her, and she allowed it to take over. A burst of white energy propelled her from the ground, and she flung her arms wide at the peak of her ascent. A shockwave erupted from her body, and the very heavens answered her call, black clouds gathering and lightning crackling. A forked bolt struck three bandits, and they were blasted backwards, hair and flesh smoking. A torrential downpour of acid rain followed, drenching the attackers in caustic liquid. They released unearthly screams as it ate away their skin and muscle, and Rhaine reveled in her Storm of Vengeance.

Divine energy still coursed through her limbs, charging her with a fire greater than adrenaline. She walked forward, blind to any emotion, plunging her sword into their hearts one by one. Their bodies disintegrated in green flames as she did so, succumbing to the power of the god of the dead.

The fight was over, but her work was not. Rhaine ran back to Thanatos as swift as the wind, leaving Ellundil to his own devices, her auburn hair flying like a banner.

Reona sat comfortably on Thanatos's back and watched her approach, calmly twirling the arrow between her fingertips, with naught but a scratch on her neck.

Rhaine, her power still strong, spoke with a voice that was doubled with an echo of a male's tone, her eyes an otherworldly white.

Reclining a bit in the saddle, the elf girl continued to play with the arrow in her hand. She turned toward Rhaine and smirked, meeting the burning white eyes with her pale blue ones, undaunted by the fact that she could even feel the nimbus of magic both pouring into, pulsating within, and emanating, from Rhaine.

"It seems that I do have some explaining to do, but it can wait a moment," she confidently said as she hopped down from the horse's back, dropping the arrow and leaving her sword behind, not bothering to straighten her skirt. She didn't flinch as Rhaine put a hand on her shoulder, the male voice letting out a barely-audible growl of agitation at her lack of an explanation. She shrugged off the hand absently and walked to Ellundil, crouching in front of him as he panted for breath.

She put a hand on his shoulder, the runes glowing like hot coals, and winced slightly. She could feel the intense heat of his magic, although cooling down, still radiating from his flesh and scorching her palm and fingers to the point of slightly blistering. She inclined her head and spoke, "I thank you for saving my life, Ellundil. If you considered yourself indebted to me for killing the bandit, consider it repaid."

Reona stood and turned toward Rhaine, extending a mental probe toward her consciousness, tilting her head to the side curiously. What she felt was a vast mind unlike any other she had touched before, and as she searched slightly further, she noticed that there were two beings within Rhaine's head. Amused by her findings, she projected a thought to the both of them, I will explain everything as soon as I know that my friend is okay. She then reeled her probe back quickly and enclosed her own mind with thick defenses.

She offered a hand to Ellundil, "Can you stand?"

Reclining a bit in the saddle, the elf girl continued to play with the arrow in her hand. She turned toward Rhaine and smirked, meeting the burning white eyes with her pale blue ones, undaunted by the fact that she could even feel the nimbus of magic both pouring into, pulsating within, and emanating, from Rhaine.

"It seems that I do have some explaining to do, but it can wait a moment," she confidently said as she hopped down from the horse's back, dropping the arrow and leaving her sword behind, not bothering to straighten her skirt. She didn't flinch as Rhaine put a hand on her shoulder, the male voice letting out a barely-audible growl of agitation at her lack of an explanation. She shrugged off the hand absently and walked to Ellundil, crouching in front of him as he panted for breath.

She put a hand on his shoulder, the runes glowing like hot coals, and winced slightly. She could feel the intense heat of his magic, although cooling down, still radiating from his flesh and scorching her palm and fingers to the point of slightly blistering. She inclined her head and spoke, "I thank you for saving my life, Ellundil. If you considered yourself indebted to me for killing the bandit, consider it repaid."

Reona stood and turned toward Rhaine, extending a mental probe toward her consciousness, tilting her head to the side curiously. What she felt was a vast mind unlike any other she had touched before, and as she searched slightly further, she noticed that there were two beings within Rhaine's head. Amused by her findings, she projected a thought to the both of them, I will explain everything as soon as I know that my friend is okay. She then reeled her probe back quickly and enclosed her own mind with thick defenses.

She offered a hand to Ellundil, "Can you stand?"

Kalin felt several burning sensations in his chest, the pain from the six arrows embedded there was getting worse. Come on, you've been through worse! But the truth was simple: he was dying. The battle with the demon-possessed wizard didn't go as planned. He managed to interupt the spell, but not before he'd been shot multiple times. How was I supposed to know about the hidden guards! Now he was lost, sent to where the Gods know in the middle of nowhere, bleeding out far too rapidly for his liking. Lathandar, can you help me, please?! Kalin heard nothing from his god, though, the silence bothering him. He was about give up when he heard fighting nearby. "Please be friendly." He limped as fast as he could, hearing the sounds of battle having stopped, but he fell as he got near a clearing. As Kalin started to lose consciousness, he saw three figures in the clearing, one of them having wings, one who was on the ground, and another in a black gown, who was helping the second person on the ground. He tried to gain their attention, but he was too weak from bloodloss. So this is how I die, so close, yet so far... Kalin mused, before he fell into blackness...

Edited by GrueMaster

Kalin felt several burning sensations in his chest, the pain from the six arrows embedded there was getting worse. Come on, you've been through worse! But the truth was simple: he was dying. The battle with the demon-possessed wizard didn't go as planned. He managed to interupt the spell, but not before he'd been shot multiple times. How was I supposed to know about the hidden guards! Now he was lost, sent to where the Gods know in the middle of nowhere, bleeding out far too rapidly for his liking. Lathandar, can you help me, please?! Kalin heard nothing from his god, though, the silence bothering him. He was about give up when he heard fighting nearby. "Please be friendly." He limped as fast as he could, hearing the sounds of battle having stopped, but he fell as he got near a clearing. As Kalin started to lose consciousness, he saw three figures in the clearing, one of them having wings, one who was on the ground, and another in a black gown, who was helping the second person on the ground. He tried to gain their attention, but he was too weak from bloodloss. So this is how I die, so close, yet so far... Kalin mused, before he fell into blackness...

Rhaine was surprised by the sheer audacity of Reona's response, and it seemed the presence in her mind was taken aback as well. Her sudden use of extreme power and her high emotions had caught the attention of her patron, and he had momentarily projected his consciousness to see the world from her eyes. When Reona shrugged off her insistent hand, she felt a twinge of intense irritation, followed by...curiosity? Kelemvor was not one for being very emotional, so this was unusual indeed. She heard him speak to her telepathically, in tones barely above a whisper, Be mindful of that one. She is not all that she appears to be.

Suddenly, Rhaine felt herself directed to the woods behind her. She saw a white-haired man lying on his side, blood issuing from six arrow wounds in his chest.

Go! He is dying!

She did not hesitate. Dashing over to the man's side, she directed the remainder of her channeled power into a mighty healing spell - it washed over the man in a burst of soothing white-blue light, the arrows popping loose as the wounds closed themselves abruptly. When she was sure he was completely healed, she released her hold on the magic, and she felt her power drain from her...and with it, her energy.

Rhaine detected Kelemvor's consciousness gently slipping away, so as not to drain her further, You have done well. We will speak again later.

Her eyes returned to their normal emerald hue, perfectly mortal in appearance. She knelt by the man as much out of exhaustion as concern, and wondered if Ellundil and Reona would come to investigate.

Redemin waited several seconds for a response from the Nord, but none came. Not wanting to risk becoming a victim of the Skyrimer's battle frenzy himself, he stole away back towards the inn through the pitch-black forest.

It wasn't long before he spied the quaint little structure with cozy lights radiating from the windows. He sauntered up to the door and shouldered it open. As he shut the door behind him, his eyes floated over to the counter where someone besides the Orc bartender was standing, making food and drinks for what appeared to be farmers and plowmen. They were packed at every table, stuffing their faces with meats and veggies and gulping down mugs of assorted booze; it was more like a pack of wild animals than a congregation of people. Still, he could easily imagine how ravenous hard work on a farm could make a person.

He slowly made his way toward the counter, dodging stumbling, drunken farmhands along the way. Once he reached the bar, he took a seat on a stool a bit of a ways away from the other folk. He waved to the bartender, who gave him a quick look of acknowledgement as he pushed a few tankards toward a group of workers. The man then walked over to Redemin. Redemin eyed him for a moment; this person was probably the only one in the whole building who noticed his...unique attire.

Michael took a quick look at the patron then started talking to the newcomer:

"Hello there Sir! And welcome to the Chattering Scroll Inn, what can i help you with? Would you like a room and some food and drink after your long travel?"

Mike turned around and looked at the wall where all the keys where kept and saw that there was plenty of rooms left.

"Good, we got plenty of rooms available, 15 septims per night, and dinner should be on the stove soon."

Rhaine was surprised by the sheer audacity of Reona's response, and it seemed the presence in her mind was taken aback as well. Her sudden use of extreme power and her high emotions had caught the attention of her patron, and he had momentarily projected his consciousness to see the world from her eyes. When Reona shrugged off her insistent hand, she felt a twinge of intense irritation, followed by...curiosity? Kelemvor was not one for being very emotional, so this was unusual indeed. She heard him speak to her telepathically, in tones barely above a whisper, Be mindful of that one. She is not all that she appears to be.

Suddenly, Rhaine felt herself directed to the woods behind her. She saw a white-haired man lying on his side, blood issuing from six arrow wounds in his chest.

Go! He is dying!

She did not hesitate. Dashing over to the man's side, she directed the remainder of her channeled power into a mighty healing spell - it washed over the man in a burst of soothing white-blue light, the arrows popping loose as the wounds closed themselves abruptly. When she was sure he was completely healed, she released her hold on the magic, and she felt her power drain from her...and with it, her energy.

Rhaine detected Kelemvor's consciousness gently slipping away, so as not to drain her further, You have done well. We will speak again later.

Her eyes returned to their normal emerald hue, perfectly mortal in appearance. She knelt by the man as much out of exhaustion as concern, and wondered if Ellundil and Reona would come to investigate.

Kalin felt consciousness returning to him, light peeking through his eyes. He sees what looks like an angel knelt by his side, confusion setting in for a moment, then he remembered her for the winged elf he had seen in the clearing, before he passed out. Then he sees Kelemvor's symbol around the celestial's neck. "How ironic. I get saved by a priestess of the dead," Kalin chuckles as he tries to get up. "Ohh...that hurts," Kalin moaned as he rose, "note to self: don't be a human pincushion." As he stands there, Kalin recalls his manners. "My thanks, milady. I doubt that I would have survived those wounds. My name is Kalin Orus. May I have the honor of your name?" Kalin asks, offering his hand to his savior.

Kalin felt consciousness returning to him, light peeking through his eyes. He sees what looks like an angel knelt by his side, confusion setting in for a moment, then he remembered her for the winged elf he had seen in the clearing, before he passed out. Then he sees Kelemvor's symbol around the celestial's neck. "How ironic. I get saved by a priestess of the dead," Kalin chuckles as he tries to get up. "Ohh...that hurts," Kalin moaned as he rose, "note to self: don't be a human pincushion." As he stands there, Kalin recalls his manners. "My thanks, milady. I doubt that I would have survived those wounds. My name is Kalin Orus. May I have the honor of your name?" Kalin asks, offering his hand to his savior.

Rhaine laughed aloud and smiled at Kalin warmly, standing with him. "I am glad you are now well, Kalin. Your time has not yet come, it seems," she inclined her head respectfully and took his hand firmly, "I am Rhaine Alcinea, Favored Soul and Chosen of Kelemvor, at your service."

Curious, she cocked her head, her hand going to her pendant, "You recognize my Lord's symbol, then? You must be from the Realms as well. How did you come into the world of Nirn? And why were you, as you say, 'a human pincushion'?"

Rhaine laughed aloud and smiled at Kalin warmly, standing with him. "I am glad you are now well, Kalin. Your time has not yet come, it seems," she inclined her head respectfully and took his hand firmly, "I am Rhaine Alcinea, Favored Soul and Chosen of Kelemvor, at your service."

Curious, she cocked her head, her hand going to her pendant, "You recognize my Lord's symbol, then? You must be from the Realms as well. How did you come into the world of Nirn? And why were you, as you say, 'a human pincushion'?"

Reona shot a quick, pleading glance back at Ellundil, who was still unresponsive in his exhaustion. Feeling her newfound confidence surge through her body, she decided to do something she never would have done a few minutes ago. She pulled Ellundil up and supported his weight on her left shoulder, despite his exhausted attempts at resisting, his flesh burning her slightly. He was a little heavier than she expected, but she managed to support him just fine. He was spent, but not unable to walk with her help.

Slowly, but surely, she walked him to Thanatos and ignored Rhaine's eyes on her back as she picked Ellundil up, her hands under his armpits, and heaved him into the saddle. He slumped forward a bit and grabbed hold of the horn of the saddle, then Reona took Thanatos' reins and led him over to Rhaine and the freshly-healed man.

She curtsied in greeting, but stayed silent as the Rhaine and the man, who introduced himself as Kalin Orus, spoke to each other. Reona tensed slightly, keeping her hand close to her blade, tied flat across the top of Thanatos' saddle, just in case the man should be treacherous. Out of instinct, she didn't trust his timing, but the general feel of his mind (she dared not touch it, but could feel the color of his emotions without reaching outward) was peaceful enough, so she was relaxed slightly more than usual.

She turned toward Ellundil, who seemed to be recovering slightly, at least, enough to look a little bit annoyed with her for not letting him regain his strength on his own time.

"Hah! I like you already," Kalin said with a grin on his face. "To answer your first question, I was trying to stop a wizard from opening a gate to the Abyss, and the portal exploded when I interrupted the spell, which caused me, I believe, to be teleported to this "Nirn." As for your second question, his guards just happened to fancy me as an archery target during my attempt," Kalin said, rolling his eyes, "and then proceeded to fill me with arrows." He looked past Rhaine and saw the young girl helping the third elf and added: "I believe that's enough details for the moment. Your friend looks like he needs some assistance."