The tall tales & tragedies of the Chattering Scroll Inn

myrmaad

Ellundil looked down at the cloak that rested gently on his shoulders. The soft brush of fabric against the flesh of his torso was an unfamiliar feeling, as he hadn't worn a shirt in quite some time, since he hated not being able to feel the soft hum of magic inside his runes. It felt good to know that he could now be more inconspicuous if he so wished. He also pondered the god's advice for a moment, and made sure to remember it next time he felt impulsive. He wasn't alone now, and his actions affected his friends as well as himself.

Finally, he closed his eyes and exhaled, his arms crossed, "Forgive me for this, friends, but I prefer my story stay... untold... for now. You all have shared so much with me, and my heart swells with happiness at that fact, but I cannot reveal more than this: my trust in all of you is growing quickly, but complete trust is needed for me to divulge my secrets. I prefer for my past to stay with me, unless a dire reason for its revealing presents itself."

He hid his reddening face beneath his unbound hair and wished nothing more than for the eyes of everyone to leave him, when he noticed that his cloak began to hide the glow of his runes under its dark cloth and he began to become translucent and slightly fade into the the darkness around him for a split-second, before becoming visible again. His eyes widened as he realized that the god had given him something with which he could quite literally meld with shadows.

---------------------------------------

Reona nodded at Ellundil, understanding why he wouldn't want to share things about himself just yet. She then reached up and let her fingers play across the braided circlet of silver about her crown. The circlet made her feel a slight mental pull telling her which direction all of her friends were in, which made her wonder why she would need to know where her friends were. Adopting a troubled expression, she shared her concern with Arva, who agreed with her, impressed at how much Reona's independence as a single entity had increased in the few months since his passing.

Voicing the issue, Reona addressed everyone, "Arva and I think that Kelemvor's gift to me may have been given because we will be separated soon, and there will be a great distance between us all, as without the circlet, my mind can expand a league in all directions. If I wear the circlet and we use my mind as the focal point, we can all speak with each other as we are now from almost anywhere. Arva wants me to add that if I use a bit of craftiness with the circlet, it can allow you to also speak with him through me, or hear his thoughts directly without my hearing them if you instruct me to shield myself from the conversation but keep the connection intact."

Rhaine was silent as she absorbed first her god's words - which caused her cheeks to flush with heat - and then those of her friends. She was not surprised by Kalin's tale. She had suspected he was more than human, as evidenced by his exotic eyes. And his lack of armor implied that he had powerful magical abilities to make up for his apparent defenselessness. She was also not surprised by Ellundil's refusal to open up. He was an outwardly shy person, and it would take more than time for him to reveal his past to them.

She chuckled as she watched her companions fiddle curiously with their gifts, "I have no doubt that these items will be of use to us, soon. Kelemvor never gives gifts lightly, and they are always given for a reason, even if you might not know what it is. I must warn you, however: do not lose these. It shows great disrespect to misplace the gift of a god."

Rhaine sighed, "I also feel I must thank you for joining me. Despite Kelemvor's insistence, you all could have chosen not to help me. There would be little my lord could do about such a refusal, especially from people not of my world. It means much to me, and I promise that I shall repay you for your aid in the future."

Finally, she turned around and took one of Thanatos's saddlebags, slinging it over her shoulder, "Now, let us go back to the inn. We could all use some rest, and we'll need it if we are going to start our quest on the morrow."

Rhaine gave her horse's ebon flank a final pat before heading for the stable doors.

Edited by AurianaValoria1

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhaine was silent as she absorbed first her god's words - which caused her cheeks to flush with heat - and then those of her friends. She was not surprised by Kalin's tale. She had suspected he was more than human, as evidenced by his exotic eyes. And his lack of armor implied that he had powerful magical abilities to make up for his apparent defenselessness. She was also not surprised by Ellundil's refusal to open up. He was an outwardly shy person, and it would take more than time for him to reveal his past to them.

She chuckled as she watched her companions fiddle curiously with their gifts, "I have no doubt that these items will be of use to us, soon. Kelemvor never gives gifts lightly, and they are always given for a reason, even if you might not know what it is. I must warn you, however: do not lose these. It shows great disrespect to misplace the gift of a god."

Rhaine sighed, "I also feel I must thank you for joining me. Despite Kelemvor's insistence, you all could have chosen not to help me. There would be little my lord could do about such a refusal, especially from people not of my world. It means much to me, and I promise that I shall repay you for your aid in the future."

Finally, she turned around and took one of Thanatos's saddlebags, slinging it over her shoulder, "Now, let us go back to the inn. We could all use some rest, and we'll need it if we are going to start our quest on the morrow."

Rhaine gave her horse's ebon flank a final pat before heading for the stable doors.

Ellundil unclasped his cloak and fastened it around Reona's shoulders to cover her shift, "It would seem that you get yourself into trouble every time I look away from you. Ah, and good-night, Rhaine, Kalin. Rest well," He continued to scold Reona as they made their way back to the inn, feeling like her caretaker.

Quite a day we've had, thought Reona as they walked, casting her thoughts to Arva. He had figured out how to project a mental image of himself into her head when he spoke, which looked as he had on the day he died, before tragedy befell him. His white-blond hair was tied back with a leather cord so that it all rested between his shoulder blades. He wore a plain white tunic that was slightly too large for him, as only his fingers peeked from under the long sleeves, a leather hunting belt with Arva in its sheath at his waist, and white leggings with pale leather hunting boots. His pinkish eyes and fair skin were just as vibrant as they had been in life.

Don't pretend you didn't enjoy every second of it, replied Arva, giving her a smirk, You have always been amused by powerful events and people. I know you better than they do, sweet Demon. And I'm in your mind now, so you can't hide your underlying emotions in here, he chuckled.

Turning red, Reona crossed her arms as her lips curled upward, It's good to have you back, bright Angel.

Ellundil looked down at the cloak that rested gently on his shoulders. The soft brush of fabric against the flesh of his torso was an unfamiliar feeling, as he hadn't worn a shirt in quite some time, since he hated not being able to feel the soft hum of magic inside his runes. It felt good to know that he could now be more inconspicuous if he so wished. He also pondered the god's advice for a moment, and made sure to remember it next time he felt impulsive. He wasn't alone now, and his actions affected his friends as well as himself.

Finally, he closed his eyes and exhaled, his arms crossed, "Forgive me for this, friends, but I prefer my story stay... untold... for now. You all have shared so much with me, and my heart swells with happiness at that fact, but I cannot reveal more than this: my trust in all of you is growing quickly, but complete trust is needed for me to divulge my secrets. I prefer for my past to stay with me, unless a dire reason for its revealing presents itself."

He hid his reddening face beneath his unbound hair and wished nothing more than for the eyes of everyone to leave him, when he noticed that his cloak began to hide the glow of his runes under its dark cloth and he began to become translucent and slightly fade into the the darkness around him for a split-second, before becoming visible again. His eyes widened as he realized that the god had given him something with which he could quite literally meld with shadows.

---------------------------------------

Reona nodded at Ellundil, understanding why he wouldn't want to share things about himself just yet. She then reached up and let her fingers play across the braided circlet of silver about her crown. The circlet made her feel a slight mental pull telling her which direction all of her friends were in, which made her wonder why she would need to know where her friends were. Adopting a troubled expression, she shared her concern with Arva, who agreed with her, impressed at how much Reona's independence as a single entity had increased in the few months since his passing.

Voicing the issue, Reona addressed everyone, "Arva and I think that Kelemvor's gift to me may have been given because we will be separated soon, and there will be a great distance between us all, as without the circlet, my mind can expand a league in all directions. If I wear the circlet and we use my mind as the focal point, we can all speak with each other as we are now from almost anywhere. Arva wants me to add that if I use a bit of craftiness with the circlet, it can allow you to also speak with him through me, or hear his thoughts directly without my hearing them if you instruct me to shield myself from the conversation but keep the connection intact."

Kalin walked alongside the priestess, humming an old tune he had heard long ago. He had drawn the dagger Kelemvor had given him and was twirling it smoothly with his fingers while studying it. "This is a finely crafted blade. It might not be fancy, but I'm weapon-smith when I'm trying to live normally, so I know better than to judge on mere appearances." Yeah, considering you're a human-looking aberration, you should know better, he thought derisively.

The soulknife kept walking, his head tilted to the side as if puzzled by something. "You know, sometimes I wish the gods would tell me everything for once," he said, partially to himself, and partly to Rhaine. "Then again, I find these little puzzles entertaining, even if they are bloody annoying sometimes." What do you do, little blade? he wondered. Why am I here? Amaunator, did you send me here? If you did, then I think you have a sick sense of humor. Why else would I meet new friends and actually feel close to them, only to learn that we may may very well die? Kalin heard nothing but silence. Once again. He gave an exasperated sigh, flicked the blade into the air, and in the same motion took the sheathe and caught the spinning object with it, perfectly fitting Kelemvor's gift into the sheathe, and fell silent.

As they approached the inn, Kalin touched Rhaine's shoulder, stopping her for a moment. "I have to apologize for keeping so much from you, Rhaine. You shared your secrets with me, and I should have done the same. So, uh, sorry," he said sheepishly. "Not very many people have saved me. Usually, I'm the one saving damsels in need. How ironic it is to be saved by one instead," he mused. Why did you touch her?, he wondered, feeling embarrassed. He gave a nervous laugh. "Ahem, anyway, we, uh, should probably go inside now." He started towards the inn, eager to go to bed and have a breather to think about today's events, old feelings of the heart he thought impossible to feel again troubling his mind...

Edited by GrueMaster

Kalin walked alongside the priestess, humming an old tune he had heard long ago. He had drawn the dagger Kelemvor had given him and was twirling it smoothly with his fingers while studying it. "This is a finely crafted blade. It might not be fancy, but I'm weapon-smith when I'm trying to live normally, so I know better than to judge on mere appearances." Yeah, considering you're a human-looking aberration, you should know better, he thought derisively.

The soulknife kept walking, his head tilted to the side as if puzzled by something. "You know, sometimes I wish the gods would tell me everything for once," he said, partially to himself, and partly to Rhaine. "Then again, I find these little puzzles entertaining, even if they are bloody annoying sometimes." What do you do, little blade? he wondered. Why am I here? Amaunator, did you send me here? If you did, then I think you have a sick sense of humor. Why else would I meet new friends and actually feel close to them, only to learn that we may may very well die? Kalin heard nothing but silence. Once again. He gave an exasperated sigh, flicked the blade into the air, and in the same motion took the sheathe and caught the spinning object with it, perfectly fitting Kelemvor's gift into the sheathe, and fell silent.

As they approached the inn, Kalin touched Rhaine's shoulder, stopping her for a moment. "I have to apologize for keeping so much from you, Rhaine. You shared your secrets with me, and I should have done the same. So, uh, sorry," he said sheepishly. "Not very many people have saved me. Usually, I'm the one saving damsels in need. How ironic it is to be saved by one instead," he mused. Why did you touch her?, he wondered, feeling embarrassed. He gave a nervous laugh. "Ahem, anyway, we, uh, should probably go inside now." He started towards the inn, eager to go to bed and have a breather to think about today's events, old feelings of the heart he thought impossible to feel again troubling his mind...

Rhaine continued walking alongside Kalin. She was silent for a few moments before replying, "No need to apologize, Kalin. It would be foolish to expect you to divulge all of your secrets so soon." She paused, thinking about the day and realizing that they had indeed just met only a few hours earlier. "Besides," she continued, casting him a wink and a grin, "I may have told more than you three, but I've certainly not told you everything. And I am far from a damsel, dear elan."

She could see his cheeks were flushed red, and her divine sight detected a perturbed spirit...for more reasons than one. Rhaine's brow furrowed momentarily. She had a sinking feeling that his admiration was becoming more than simple hero worship. It was worrisome, but she forcefully pushed the thought away. Now was the time to clear the mind and rest.

Rhaine approached the inn door ahead of Kalin and held it open for him, silent as he proceeded inside. She had overheard the barkeep say that rooms were fifteen gold per night, and so she slipped the appropriate amount of coins across the bar to him before Kalin could shell out more of his fortune. She appreciated the elan's graciousness, but preferred to provide for herself whenever possible. As she smoothly headed up the stairs, Rhaine noticed that the acting bartender had a slight Nordic look to him, as well as something else that she couldn't quite put her finger on. Perhaps he shall be a good one to talk to on the morrow.

Physically exhausted and tired of thinking, Rhaine didn't look back as she headed straight for an open room at the end of the hall, entered, and locked the door behind her.

Rhaine continued walking alongside Kalin. She was silent for a few moments before replying, "No need to apologize, Kalin. It would be foolish to expect you to divulge all of your secrets so soon." She paused, thinking about the day and realizing that they had indeed just met only a few hours earlier. "Besides," she continued, casting him a wink and a grin, "I may have told more than you three, but I've certainly not told you everything. And I am far from a damsel, dear elan."

She could see his cheeks were flushed red, and her divine sight detected a perturbed spirit...for more reasons than one. Rhaine's brow furrowed momentarily. She had a sinking feeling that his admiration was becoming more than simple hero worship. It was worrisome, but she forcefully pushed the thought away. Now was the time to clear the mind and rest.

Rhaine approached the inn door ahead of Kalin and held it open for him, silent as he proceeded inside. She had overheard the barkeep say that rooms were fifteen gold per night, and so she slipped the appropriate amount of coins across the bar to him before Kalin could shell out more of his fortune. She appreciated the elan's graciousness, but preferred to provide for herself whenever possible. As she smoothly headed up the stairs, Rhaine noticed that the acting bartender had a slight Nordic look to him, as well as something else that she couldn't quite put her finger on. Perhaps he shall be a good one to talk to on the morrow.

Physically exhausted and tired of thinking, Rhaine didn't look back as she headed straight for an open room at the end of the hall, entered, and locked the door behind her.

Kalin watched Rhaine go to her room, shook his head at himself and paid the barkeep for rooms for the rest of the group, then walked into his own room and locked the door. He sighed and slipped off his armor, mildly cursing his lack of control as he did. He'd felt Rhaine's mind glance over him, and could tell that his thoughts may have disturbed her. Kalin, now is not the time to be bothering her! He sighed again, got undressed, then slipped into his bed and closed his eyes, exhausted over the day's events, and fell into his sleep-trance.

As the night passed, Kalin dreamed the same dream again, the one that had haunted him for decades. Wake up, Kalin! It's not a dream, elans don't dream! But he could not awake, and so he anguished in his nightmare.

His home was on fire, thick, black smoke filling the halls. He could hear screaming in the house. Kalin ran out his room and had his sword drawn, bewildered and scared out of his wits. He looked over the second-story bannister, horrified as he saw a family servant get dragged down by a demon and disemboweled, shrieking as the hellspawn tore his insides. Kalin was about to help the poor soul when he heard the familiar voice of his fiance, screaming for him.

NO! He yelled, running and bursting into his beloved's room. A demon, a powerful one, was walking slowly towards her, her face hidden behind her arms in fear. Kalin unleashed a feral war-cry and slashed at the fiend. The demon laughed at him, and struck him down in one swipe, its talons rending Kalin's chest and launching him across the room. As he laid there. his life slowly fading, he struggled to lift his sword, trying to defend his love, but could not lift it. The demon laughed again, mocking him. It saw his terror for the huddled woman across from him in his mind. Itseemed to giggle in delight. "Your fear is delicious. I think I'll let let you live to watch as I feast on your elven half-breed."

The monstrosity picked her up and started clawing her to pieces, cackling at her gurgled screams. Horror struck Kalin to the core, but he couldn't move at all now, and he laid there helplessly as the woman he cared for was killed slowly. The fiend dropped her body in front of him. "Ah, look at her face. Her terror is a beautiful sight," it laughed again. Her hair fell away to show...Rhaine's face? "No," Kalin whispered. "No, no, NO, NOOO--"

"--O!" Kalin sat upright in his bed, one hand clutching at his chest, the other wielding a mindblade. He soaked in sweat, and his scars on his chest were burning. Blast it, he thought, I'm not supposed to be dreaming. He was disturbed by how Rhaine was in the nightmare. Ah, it's just a dream! He muttered a dwarvish curse as he got out of bed, releasing his blade. He looked out his window, and surmised that it was a little past midnight. "Always at the end of my rest," he cursed, and proceded to get dressed.

Edited by GrueMaster

Kalin watched Rhaine go to her room, shook his head at himself and paid the barkeep for rooms for the rest of the group, then walked into his own room and locked the door. He sighed and slipped off his armor, mildly cursing his lack of control as he did. He'd felt Rhaine's mind glance over him, and could tell that his thoughts may have disturbed her. Kalin, now is not the time to be bothering her! He sighed again, got undressed, then slipped into his bed and closed his eyes, exhausted over the day's events, and fell into his sleep-trance.

As the night passed, Kalin dreamed the same dream again, the one that had haunted him for decades. Wake up, Kalin! It's not a dream, elans don't dream! But he could not awake, and so he anguished in his nightmare.

His home was on fire, thick, black smoke filling the halls. He could hear screaming in the house. Kalin ran out his room and had his sword drawn, bewildered and scared out of his wits. He looked over the second-story bannister, horrified as he saw a family servant get dragged down by a demon and disemboweled, shrieking as the hellspawn tore his insides. Kalin was about to help the poor soul when he heard the familiar voice of his fiance, screaming for him.

NO! He yelled, running and bursting into his beloved's room. A demon, a powerful one, was walking slowly towards her, her face hidden behind her arms in fear. Kalin unleashed a feral war-cry and slashed at the fiend. The demon laughed at him, and struck him down in one swipe, its talons rending Kalin's chest and launching him across the room. As he laid there. his life slowly fading, he struggled to lift his sword, trying to defend his love, but could not lift it. The demon laughed again, mocking him. It saw his terror for the huddled woman across from him in his mind. Itseemed to giggle in delight. "Your fear is delicious. I think I'll let let you live to watch as I feast on your elven half-breed."

The monstrosity picked her up and started clawing her to pieces, cackling at her gurgled screams. Horror struck Kalin to the core, but he couldn't move at all now, and he laid there helplessly as the woman he cared for was killed slowly. The fiend dropped her body in front of him. "Ah, look at her face. Her terror is a beautiful sight," it laughed again. Her hair fell away to show...Rhaine's face? "No," Kalin whispered. "No, no, NO, NOOO--"

"--O!" Kalin sat upright in his bed, one hand clutching at his chest, the other wielding a mindblade. He soaked in sweat, and his scars on his chest were burning. Blast it, he thought, I'm not supposed to be dreaming. He was disturbed by how Rhaine was in the nightmare. Ah, it's just a dream! He muttered a dwarvish curse as he got out of bed, releasing his blade. He looked out his window, and surmised that it was a little past midnight. "Always at the end of my rest," he cursed, and proceded to get dressed.

Rhaine had closed the curtains and removed her armor quickly, folding what pieces she could and putting them neatly in a chest below her footboard, atop which she laid her sword. She threw on a simple grey nightdress, halter-necked in style to allow for her wings. Rhaine happened to glance in the mirror, and she nearly gasped at what she saw. It had been many months since she'd actually examined her reflection, and her body had undergone a few changes since then - subtle, yes, but enough to make a difference. Her golden-cream complexion had obtained an almost metallic look. Her eyes now possessed a constant, soft jade glow. Her void-black wings shimmered slightly with a green iridescence, each feather perfectly shaped and flawless. She turned around and looked over her shoulder at where the wings joined her back...seamless, as if they'd always been there.

Rhaine sighed. Ah, my lord. What have you done to me? she thought. Where others saw gifts of beauty and power, she saw an existence of hardship and strife. It was always something. Her whole life had been one big constant quest to save humanity - split into episodes: first the King of Shadows, then the Spirit Eater, then the Dracolich of Cormyr, then the lich coven in Calimshan, now quell in a strange and distant world. She put her head in her hands, her auburn mane falling forward over her face. It would never end. Even after her eventual ascension, if she lived long enough to reach it, she would be doing the same thing...just in the Outer Realms where mortals couldn't walk.

Sighing again, she pulled back the covers of her small bed and climbed in. She leaned over and blew out the bedside lamp, then settled down into the mattress, letting her wings fold about her like a blanket. It was not long before a deep, dreamless slumber overtook her.

Rhaine woke suddenly to the sound of...Kalin? Yelling? She sat up and listened, her elven ears straining to hear. Nothing followed. Slowly, she slipped from the bed and tiptoed across the floor, her night vision adjusting as she went. She unlatched the door of her room and peeked through the crack to see an empty hallway. Suddenly, Kalin stepped from his room, fully dressed, seemingly intent on something. She hesitated, wondering if she should disturb him.

Deciding against it, she closed the door quietly and relocked it. Perhaps it was best to leave him be. She returned to her bed and to sleep, praying that Amaunator would somehow grant the troubled elan a bit of peace.

Rhaine had closed the curtains and removed her armor quickly, folding what pieces she could and putting them neatly in a chest below her footboard, atop which she laid her sword. She threw on a simple grey nightdress, halter-necked in style to allow for her wings. Rhaine happened to glance in the mirror, and she nearly gasped at what she saw. It had been many months since she'd actually examined her reflection, and her body had undergone a few changes since then - subtle, yes, but enough to make a difference. Her golden-cream complexion had obtained an almost metallic look. Her eyes now possessed a constant, soft jade glow. Her void-black wings shimmered slightly with a green iridescence, each feather perfectly shaped and flawless. She turned around and looked over her shoulder at where the wings joined her back...seamless, as if they'd always been there.

Rhaine sighed. Ah, my lord. What have you done to me? she thought. Where others saw gifts of beauty and power, she saw an existence of hardship and strife. It was always something. Her whole life had been one big constant quest to save humanity - split into episodes: first the King of Shadows, then the Spirit Eater, then the Dracolich of Cormyr, then the lich coven in Calimshan, now quell in a strange and distant world. She put her head in her hands, her auburn mane falling forward over her face. It would never end. Even after her eventual ascension, if she lived long enough to reach it, she would be doing the same thing...just in the Outer Realms where mortals couldn't walk.

Sighing again, she pulled back the covers of her small bed and climbed in. She leaned over and blew out the bedside lamp, then settled down into the mattress, letting her wings fold about her like a blanket. It was not long before a deep, dreamless slumber overtook her.

Rhaine woke suddenly to the sound of...Kalin? Yelling? She sat up and listened, her elven ears straining to hear. Nothing followed. Slowly, she slipped from the bed and tiptoed across the floor, her night vision adjusting as she went. She unlatched the door of her room and peeked through the crack to see an empty hallway. Suddenly, Kalin stepped from his room, fully dressed, seemingly intent on something. She hesitated, wondering if she should disturb him.

Deciding against it, she closed the door quietly and relocked it. Perhaps it was best to leave him be. She returned to her bed and to sleep, praying that Amaunator would somehow grant the troubled elan a bit of peace.

Kalin heard Rhaine's door shut and knew instantly that he'd woken her. "Great," he muttered, mad at himself for interrupting the priestess' sleep. He gave yet another sigh, and went back into his room. He produced a bit of parchment and a inkwell and pen from his pack and proceded to write a note.

He wrote in Celestial, only wanting Rhaine to read it: Sorry for waking you earlier. I was just having a bad dream. Anyway, here's enough gold to pay for everyone's breakfast. Don't worry about me, I'm just taking a stroll outside for a bit. -Kalin

Satisfied in his note, Kalin brought a bag of gold out and and wrapped the paper around it and titled the package to Rhaine. He snuck to her room and left it against the door, then turned around and left the inn.

He paced to the woods and found a rock in a clearing to sit on and laid his bedroll against it. Kalin pulled out a whetstone and started sharpening his sickles, the monotonous scraping distracting him for a while. He sat there for a few hours, working on the two weapons, then he got up and started practicing with them, losing himself in his exercises.

After a while, his skin soaked from practicing, Kalin stopped, went and found a nearby creek. He undressed, setting the adamantine sickles aside, washed his clothes a bit, then jumped in himself. The cold water rejuvenating him, Kalin floated on the water, pondering questions he had.

Do you even think she'll like you? She's immortal, plus she's a cleric, and you're not, so why bother? That annoying voice berated him. Because, he answered, I haven't felt anyone so closely before, besides my dead fiance. Also, I got saved by her, ya know? I've always fallen for those old cliches. But it's a distraction!, that other voice scolded him. I know! I know, so I'll try to can my emotions, alright?

That other voice stopped talking. "Hahah, I win," Kalin chuckled. He noticed that it was almost sunrise. "Well, time to head back." He slipped his clothes, dry now, back on, then his armor, and grabbed his sickles. Kalin breathed deeply, then started back to the Chattering Scroll...

Kalin heard Rhaine's door shut and knew instantly that he'd woken her. "Great," he muttered, mad at himself for interrupting the priestess' sleep. He gave yet another sigh, and went back into his room. He produced a bit of parchment and a inkwell and pen from his pack and proceded to write a note.

He wrote in Celestial, only wanting Rhaine to read it: Sorry for waking you earlier. I was just having a bad dream. Anyway, here's enough gold to pay for everyone's breakfast. Don't worry about me, I'm just taking a stroll outside for a bit. -Kalin

Satisfied in his note, Kalin brought a bag of gold out and and wrapped the paper around it and titled the package to Rhaine. He snuck to her room and left it against the door, then turned around and left the inn.

He paced to the woods and found a rock in a clearing to sit on and laid his bedroll against it. Kalin pulled out a whetstone and started sharpening his sickles, the monotonous scraping distracting him for a while. He sat there for a few hours, working on the two weapons, then he got up and started practicing with them, losing himself in his exercises.

After a while, his skin soaked from practicing, Kalin stopped, went and found a nearby creek. He undressed, setting the adamantine sickles aside, washed his clothes a bit, then jumped in himself. The cold water rejuvenating him, Kalin floated on the water, pondering questions he had.

Do you even think she'll like you? She's immortal, plus she's a cleric, and you're not, so why bother? That annoying voice berated him. Because, he answered, I haven't felt anyone so closely before, besides my dead fiance. Also, I got saved by her, ya know? I've always fallen for those old cliches. But it's a distraction!, that other voice scolded him. I know! I know, so I'll try to can my emotions, alright?

That other voice stopped talking. "Hahah, I win," Kalin chuckled. He noticed that it was almost sunrise. "Well, time to head back." He slipped his clothes, dry now, back on, then his armor, and grabbed his sickles. Kalin breathed deeply, then started back to the Chattering Scroll...

Rhaine woke again at dawn, the morning light shining golden through the crack in the curtains. She sat up slowly and stretched, then stood and looking out through the window. A fine mist clung to the ground, and the sunlight streamed through the canopy of the surrounding oaks like translucent fingers. She opened one pane and deeply breathed in the morning air. She had rested well, and with her rest came a new resolve. It felt like the old days again. She remembered mornings like this at the Sunken Flagon, and later on, Crossroad Keep - despite the troubled times and the threat of doom, a strange peace still pervaded the atmosphere. Rhaine was unsure of exactly why she felt this way, but she believed it was because she was no longer alone.

She fondly remembered her old companions: Khelgar the combat-loving dwarf, Neeshka the tiefling rogue, Elanee the druidess, Casavir the paladin...and many others who had joined her cause. She recalled her friends from Rashemen who had helped her endure her darkest hours - Gann the hagspawn spirit shaman, Safiya the Red Wizard, Okku the spirit bear. They all came from varied backgrounds, and they all had their own unique personalities and quirks, but they all also had one thing in common - they were unswervingly loyal to her, even if she thought she didn't deserve it, and even if it meant their own deaths.

Now, she possessed yet another cadre of companions who had vowed to aid her, regardless of the risk involved. Rhaine wondered if they would become as dear to her as the others had. She smiled, as she knew the answer - of course they would. They already had, to some extent.

She closed the window and curtains, then pulled her day-wear from her chest. She quickly pulled off her nightdress and began donning her priestess attire. First, she put on a long, ankle-length black and chocolate brown robe, embroidered in gold, and belted at the waist with a golden sash. Then she slipped into a pair of matching dark brown shoes. She ran a comb through her hair and tied it back in a ponytail before putting on her headpiece: a black cowl that framed her face just below her chin and in front of her ears, topped with a brown square hood that was long enough in the back to hide the slits for her wings. Checking her sleeves, she gave the emerald gems at her wrists a final polish before belting her sword over her robes. She looked herself over in the mirror and pulled her wings into a relaxed, but composed position. Satisfied that she looked sharp enough for public appearance, she headed out of the room, intending to return for her armor should her friends decide to begin the search for Myrmaad.

When she opened the door, she nearly kicked over a parcel in the floor in front of her. Rhaine knelt and picked it up. It was a bag of gold, with a note intended for her. Her brow furrowed as she unrolled the paper. It was written in Celestial, but her trained eyes could read it perfectly: Sorry for waking you earlier. I was just having a bad dream. Anyway, here's enough gold to pay for everyone's breakfast. Don't worry about me, I'm just taking a stroll outside for a bit. -Kalin

Her brow furrowed more. Elans don't dream, let alone have nightmares. And she knew from her experiences in Rashemen that dreams could be of great significance, good or bad. She closed her door behind her, locking it and letting out a heavy sigh.

What am I going to do with you, Kalin?

Reona and Ellundil walked together to the inn and quietly unlocked the door to their room.

Ellundil unclasped the cloak from about Reona's shoulders and folded it neatly in one smooth motion, placing it next to the rest of his items, also organized nicely in one corner of the room. His runes glowed faintly in the dimly-lit room, somehow being much brighter than the candle on the dresser against the wall. He crawled into his bedroll and fell into a deep sleep quickly, a result of how much he'd exerted himself over the past day.

Reona frowned a little and bit her lip at her few items, mainly the small items she could fit into her pockets, which she had taken out and thrown into a small, messy pile in the corner. She took her black dress and tossed it on top of the pile.

Messy as ever, I see, Arva commented nonchalantly, his pink eyes looking sleepy. He yawned.

You're a soul, Reona said curiously as she settled into the blankets of the bed, You still need sleep?

Of course we do, just most sleep during the day instead because spirits are stronger at night, He replied, yawning wider, At least, that's what I theorize. Being trapped in the sword has made me unable to speak to other souls.

Sounds plausible, Reona thought as she drifted off to sleep.

Goodnight, sweet Demon...

Edited by tokyobleach

As Kalin walked back towards the inn, tying his damp hair in a ponytail and thinking of Rhaine, he heard voices nearby. Curious, he moved silently towards the source of the sounds. After a few minutes, he came across a suspicious sight.

There were eight men clustered around a dead campfire, eating and grumbling about random things. What have we here? Kalin asked himself. As Kalin watched, two more men came from the direction of the Chattering Scroll, one short and small, the other about average size. "Well, are they there?," demanded one of the campers, a large, bulky man almost twice Kalin's size, apparently the man in charge.

"They're there alright," replied Shorty (as Kalin dubbed him). "All three of 'em elves, Boss, including that freakish one with the wings." Kalin felt his temper rise at the insult to Rhaine, but he quelled it, wanting to know what this group wanted with her. "What about the fourth man?" Boss asked. "I didn't see him, but why does it matter? He must have been shot half-a-dozen times," Shorty replied, "he's dying right now, if he's not dead already." Kalin grinned at those words. Not quite, he thought. But Boss' next words turned his smirk into a dark scowl.

"You better hope you're right," the leader said venomously, causing the short man to turn pale. He turned and addressed the other men. "Alright, lads. You all know our contract. Our employers want those elves dead, and we're going to do it, unlike those stupid boys that underestimated them, right?" The mercs cheered. "And remember: kill the priestess first."

A burning fury raged in Kalin's heart at that last statement. He drew his sickles, set them aflame, and walked into the camp. "Not if I have anything to do with it," he challenged. The would-be assassins stood up in shock, surprised that anyone had snuck so close.

"Who the blazes are you?!" the merc leader demanded. "I'm the man 'who's dying right now, if not dead already'," Kalin said matter-of-factly. "I didn't like those words about my friends, so I'll make you a deal," he said menacingly. "Tell me who your 'employers' are, and all of you get to walk away." "And if we don't?" Boss questioned. "Then all of you will die," Kalin replied, a dark smile on his face.

Boss looked at him incredulously, then yelled. "At 'im, boys!" The mercenaries charged. "For Amaunator!" Kalin cried, then burst into action, charging his attackers at an inhuman speed.

He rolled past the first two men, slicing open their mid-sections, the attackers falling down screaming, and blocked the next two as they swung. Kalin riposted, slashing those mercs' throats, and spun, taking the men behind them, Shorty, his partner, and a third merc, by surprise. He took Shorty's arm clean off, the flames cauterizing the wound, and pierced the other man's heart between the ribs. He reversed his grip and swung at the third man's head, actually taking it off, and Man #8 came at him. Kalin parried, crouched, and cut the man's leg off at the knee, then finished him off with a slash to the heart. The ninth mercenary tried to kill him as he was on the ground, but the warrior somersaulted to the side, and sent a sickle into the assailant's ear, killing him instantly.

The leader looked at Kalin in anger and fear. Within a few dozen breathes, the soulknife had dispatched eight men. Boss looked at him, face ashen, and said, "WHAT IN SHEOGORATH'S NAME ARE YOU?!" But before Kalin could approach him, Boss activated a ring and teleported away.

"Blast it! He got away!," he cursed and slipped his weapons back onto his belt, flames dying away. Kalin looked around at the carnage around him, blood everywhere. "Sorry, Rhaine. Looks like I just made a lot of work for you," he chuckled darkly. Then he felt a burning sensation in his left lung. One of the killers managed to get a dagger past his defenses. He cursed again, then pulled it out and patched it up quickly. As he finished, he heard someone sobbing. Kalin looked around and saw Shorty, who was crying, and was clutching at where his forearm used to be.

Kalin went over and bandaged the wound, the short man falling unconscious as he did so. He muttered out of frustration, then lifted the merc, grunting under the weight, and started back to the inn. "Rhaine," he thought out loud as he walked, "I think we've got problems..."