⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

The tall tales & tragedies of the Chattering Scroll Inn

myrmaad

"Hah! I like you already," Kalin said with a grin on his face. "To answer your first question, I was trying to stop a wizard from opening a gate to the Abyss, and the portal exploded when I interrupted the spell, which caused me, I believe, to be teleported to this "Nirn." As for your second question, his guards just happened to fancy me as an archery target during my attempt," Kalin said, rolling his eyes, "and then proceeded to fill me with arrows." He looked past Rhaine and saw the young girl helping the third elf and added: "I believe that's enough details for the moment. Your friend looks like he needs some assistance."

Rhaine nodded slowly in understanding, brows slightly raised, "Perhaps your accidental teleportation was a blessing...it might have been the only thing that gave you a chance at life. In any case, you committed a heroic and admirable deed. I commend you, friend."

She turned to see Reona walking towards them with Thanatos's reins in her hand. Ellundil was wearily slumped in the saddle, grasping the horn for balance. Her horse's ears were pricked, his eyes bright even in the swiftly fading twilight.

"Yes, and Reona here has a story to continue," Rhaine remarked pointedly. She once again folded her wings tightly to her back, her dark cloak covering them. She reached for her hood and pulled it back up, the shadows of the cowl accentuating her sharply chiseled face. With those simple changes, she transformed from a radiant angel to a deathly serious warrior. Her mouth became a hard line, her eyes piercing despite their returned normality. "Which, by the way, you should do. And quickly."

She was not pleased with her wasted power, which she had used out of false vengeance against Reona's supposed killers. Truth be told, it was partially her own fault for not paying close enough attention. But Reona could have at least tried to stop her. On top of that, she refused to travel with a murderer. Reona had already admitted to killing her brother, and rather bluntly - Rhaine expected a full justification for such actions.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hah! I like you already," Kalin said with a grin on his face. "To answer your first question, I was trying to stop a wizard from opening a gate to the Abyss, and the portal exploded when I interrupted the spell, which caused me, I believe, to be teleported to this "Nirn." As for your second question, his guards just happened to fancy me as an archery target during my attempt," Kalin said, rolling his eyes, "and then proceeded to fill me with arrows." He looked past Rhaine and saw the young girl helping the third elf and added: "I believe that's enough details for the moment. Your friend looks like he needs some assistance."

Rhaine nodded slowly in understanding, brows slightly raised, "Perhaps your accidental teleportation was a blessing...it might have been the only thing that gave you a chance at life. In any case, you committed a heroic and admirable deed. I commend you, friend."

She turned to see Reona walking towards them with Thanatos's reins in her hand. Ellundil was wearily slumped in the saddle, grasping the horn for balance. Her horse's ears were pricked, his eyes bright even in the swiftly fading twilight.

"Yes, and Reona here has a story to continue," Rhaine remarked pointedly. She once again folded her wings tightly to her back, her dark cloak covering them. She reached for her hood and pulled it back up, the shadows of the cowl accentuating her sharply chiseled face. With those simple changes, she transformed from a radiant angel to a deathly serious warrior. Her mouth became a hard line, her eyes piercing despite their returned normality. "Which, by the way, you should do. And quickly."

She was not pleased with her wasted power, which she had used out of false vengeance against Reona's supposed killers. Truth be told, it was partially her own fault for not paying close enough attention. But Reona could have at least tried to stop her. On top of that, she refused to travel with a murderer. Reona had already admitted to killing her brother, and rather bluntly - Rhaine expected a full justification for such actions.

Ellundil was tired of such folly, though he was weak physically he could still comprehend what was going on around him; still having control over his powers. He felt the emotions of others around him, and he could not bare to be on the road to the Inn any longer.

Within' a moments notice, there was a flash of light. Ellundil had used his powers to (attempt) to erase everyone's memory of the recent events that had transpired. He tried to fill in the gaps in their memory from where he teleported the part to the Inn - filling them with images of battling a troll under a bridge, a twisted road, and a forest of trees.

Now within' sight of the Inn (Damn, finally) Ellundil hopped down from the horse, and began walking for the door.

Ellundil was tired of such folly, though he was weak physically he could still comprehend what was going on around him; still having control over his powers. He felt the emotions of others around him, and he could not bare to be on the road to the Inn any longer.

Within' a moments notice, there was a flash of light. Ellundil had used his powers to (attempt) to erase everyone's memory of the recent events that had transpired. He tried to fill in the gaps in their memory from where he teleported the part to the Inn - filling them with images of battling a troll under a bridge, a twisted road, and a forest of trees.

Now within' sight of the Inn (Damn, finally) Ellundil hopped down from the horse, and began walking for the door.

"Ahh, a welcome sight if ever I saw one!" Kalin exclaimated, "I'll pay entirely for our stay, if staying is our intention, and we'll be able to share our tales around the tavern's finest wine." Kalin walked along side Ellundil and whispered almost uninteligibly: "I know that you tried to erase our memories, and I understand why, so I won't tell the ladies. But that won't work on me, unfortunately, and if you try to do it to me again, I'll be very upset." Kalin's eyes were stormy for a moment, then immediately brightened as he took a louder, more cheerful tone. "Come along, miladies and good sir! I'm eager to hear your stories during our meal!" Kalin went and held the door open for Rhaine and the young elf named Reona. "Ladies first," he said with a flourish.

Edited by GrueMaster

"Ahh, a welcome sight if ever I saw one!" Kalin exclaimated, "I'll pay entirely for our stay, if staying is our intention, and we'll be able to share our tales around the tavern's finest wine." Kalin walked along side Ellundil and whispered almost uninteligibly: "I know that you tried to erase our memories, and I understand why, so I won't tell the ladies. But that won't work on me, unfortunately, and if you try to do it to me again, I'll be very upset." Kalin's eyes were stormy for a moment, then immediately brightened as he took a louder, more cheerful tone. "Come along, miladies and good sir! I'm eager to hear your stories during our meal!" Kalin went and held the door open for Rhaine and the young elf named Reona. "Ladies first," he said with a flourish.

Rhaine burst into laughter as she entered the inn, "I know what he tried to do, Kalin. And I, for one, don't understand why. "

She remarked to Ellundil as she passed him, "But, rest assured, if you try it again, you will find yourself meeting your maker sooner than you anticipate. Playing with divinity is not a wise thing."

Reona followed her as they crossed the threshold into the bustling tavern. It was crowded and noisy, like almost all the inns she had visited in Faerun. She spied a booth in the far corner, with room enough for all four of them, and she politely pushed her way through the throng until she reached it. Without a word, she sat and scooted into the corner next to the wall. Reona settled down beside her, and the two men took their seats across from them. Rhaine waved to a waitress, and the slightly disheveled woman approached them.

"What'll ye be drinkin' tonight?" the waitress asked a little wearily.

"A small glass of wine for me," Rhaine said, and gestured for her companions to order their drinks.

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Rhaine burst into laughter as she entered the inn, "I know what he tried to do, Kalin. And I, for one, don't understand why. "

She remarked to Ellundil as she passed him, "But, rest assured, if you try it again, you will find yourself meeting your maker sooner than you anticipate. Playing with divinity is not a wise thing."

Reona followed her as they crossed the threshold into the bustling tavern. It was crowded and noisy, like almost all the inns she had visited in Faerun. She spied a booth in the far corner, with room enough for all four of them, and she politely pushed her way through the throng until she reached it. Without a word, she sat and scooted into the corner next to the wall. Reona settled down beside her, and the two men took their seats across from them. Rhaine waved to a waitress, and the slightly disheveled woman approached them.

"A small glass of wine for me," Rhaine said, and gestured for her companions to order their drinks.

Ellundil ignored the comments made by the others in the party; for he knew that his powers in telekinesis were not strong, but everything is worth a try. For the first time in Elludnil's adventures had he met a group of people who matched him in power, which was a striking feat to behold. He played off his position nanchalantly:

"Waitress, my fair maiden, I would very much enjoy a pint of your stoutest grog, and I don't want them to stop coming,"

Ellundil motioned to Reona to order her drink.

Ellundil ignored the comments made by the others in the party; for he knew that his powers in telekinesis were not strong, but everything is worth a try. For the first time in Elludnil's adventures had he met a group of people who matched him in power, which was a striking feat to behold. He played off his position nanchalantly:

"Waitress, my fair maiden, I would very much enjoy a pint of your stoutest grog, and I don't want them to stop coming,"

Reona attempted to blink away the haziness of her mind, cursing Ellundil for trying such a drastic thing in a tone so low that only he could hear it, then addressed the waitress in a murmur audible to everyone else, "Some mead, please. Strong mead. I'll need it, after such an... eventful day. Hell, bring a tankard of it," she reached up and massaged her temples with the index and middle fingers of each hand.

She turned to Ellundil and whispered almost silently, "You had better be glad I had up defenses around my mind, or else I would have been affected more strongly than this. I'm far from a divine being, therefore more susceptible to having such things work on me. Seeing as how I know what you were trying to do, I'm going to offer some lessons on invading minds to you. May even be able to teach you how to take the energy from dying enemies so magic doesn't take such a toll on you."

She smiled thankfully as the waitress brought in the drinks, her heavy tankard full to the brim with richly-colored mead. She thanked the woman and took a deep drought, pretending not to notice the few stares she was attracting until she had downed half the tankard. She slammed it down on the table and hiccuped as warmth bloomed across her nose and cheeks.

Reona attempted to blink away the haziness of her mind, cursing Ellundil for trying such a drastic thing in a tone so low that only he could hear it, then addressed the waitress in a murmur audible to everyone else, "Some mead, please. Strong mead. I'll need it, after such an... eventful day. Hell, bring a tankard of it," she reached up and massaged her temples with the index and middle fingers of each hand.

She turned to Ellundil and whispered almost silently, "You had better be glad I had up defenses around my mind, or else I would have been affected more strongly than this. I'm far from a divine being, therefore more susceptible to having such things work on me. Seeing as how I know what you were trying to do, I'm going to offer some lessons on invading minds to you. May even be able to teach you how to take the energy from dying enemies so magic doesn't take such a toll on you."

She smiled thankfully as the waitress brought in the drinks, her heavy tankard full to the brim with richly-colored mead. She thanked the woman and took a deep drought, pretending not to notice the few stares she was attracting until she had downed half the tankard. She slammed it down on the table and hiccuped as warmth bloomed across her nose and cheeks.

The waitress delivered Rhaine's wine, setting it down carefully in front of the Doomguide. The glass was of pretty crystal, half full of a beautiful burgundy vintage. Rhaine thanked the waitress, then removed her gauntlets, setting them to the side. She picked up the glass by its elegant stem and swirled the wine before taking a sip. It had a wonderful flavor - the only drinks that she had tasted better were the potent yet sweet Drow wines.

She leaned back and took in the tavern crowd. Most were farmers or other workers ravenously devouring their suppers. Some appeared to be travellers, mulling over their drinks. A few were dressed like adventurers - one of whom appeared to be the bartender himself. It was a motley crew to be sure. But some of them had to have information she needed. With her spiritual sight, she could see that they were mostly good people with clear consciences. Some of them had skeletons in their closets, but then again, who didn't? Rhaine attempted to search for an aging Breton woman, possibly dressed in robes of some sort, but she spied no such person. Sighing, she returned her attention to her companions.

Rhaine attempted to ignore the events of the day, and instead tried to think forward. She watched in amusement as the little Bosmer drained half her mead in one gulp. She couldn't help but grin as Reona slammed her tankard on the table and promptly hiccuped.

"So," she said finally, "You spoke of tales? Well then, who's first? Who shall share their tale for all to hear?"

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Ellundil couldn't help but :facepalm: at the amount of mead such a small creature was able to down in a matter of seconds. He knew she was going to say something stupid during "tale time" that she would surely send Rhaine into a furious rage. (Seeing as she had two full tankards already) and took her to a room, layed her down, and proceeded out the door, ready to listen to Kalin and Rhaine's tale(s).

The waitress delivered Rhaine's wine, setting it down carefully in front of the Doomguide. The glass was of pretty crystal, half full of a beautiful burgundy vintage. Rhaine thanked the waitress, then removed her gauntlets, setting them to the side. She picked up the glass by its elegant stem and swirled the wine before taking a sip. It had a wonderful flavor - the only drinks that she had tasted better were the potent yet sweet Drow wines.

She leaned back and took in the tavern crowd. Most were farmers or other workers ravenously devouring their suppers. Some appeared to be travellers, mulling over their drinks. A few were dressed like adventurers - one of whom appeared to be the bartender himself. It was a motley crew to be sure. But some of them had to have information she needed. With her spiritual sight, she could see that they were mostly good people with clear consciences. Some of them had skeletons in their closets, but then again, who didn't? Rhaine attempted to search for an aging Breton woman, possibly dressed in robes of some sort, but she spied no such person. Sighing, she returned her attention to her companions.

Rhaine attempted to ignore the events of the day, and instead tried to think forward. She watched in amusement as the little Bosmer drained half her mead in one gulp. She couldn't help but grin as Reona slammed her tankard on the table and promptly hiccuped.

"So," she said finally, "You spoke of tales? Well then, who's first? Who shall share their tale for all to hear?"

"Waitress, I'd like some wine as well," Kalin said. "And here's the money for our drinks and meals," he added, handing a good-sized pouch of gold to her, "and a tip included," He looked amused as he watched the young elf-girl down her drink. I think she'll be feeling that later., he thought. Then he turned to Rhaine as the waitress gave him his wine and responded: "Now that we have our drinks, I do believe that I should introduce myself first, seeing that I'm the newest to the group."

"As I told Rhaine, my name is Kalin Orus. I'm an adventurer, doing odd jobs here and there, and sometimes crusading for my deity, Lathandar. Most of the time, though, I just traveled. As to how I got here, I was fighting a possessed wizard who was trying to open a portal to the Abyss, a world demons and monstrosities. I managed to sabotage the gate, but not before the wizard's guards shot me full of arrows. The portal exploded, and the magical energies warped me to this place." Kalin finished, then adding, "Now I'd like to hear Lady Rhaine's story, seeing that she is from Faeun as well. Your name and appearance seem familiar to me. Do you happen to be from the Sword Coast?" he asked.

Rhaine smiled, taking another sip of her wine and setting it down. "Indeed I am, Kalin."

She pulled her hood back down, fluffing her auburn mane and leaning forward, her elbows on the table. The plates of her vambraces glinted in the candlelight. "I feel I must warn you, my tale is longer than most. But it is time it should be told in full. I have not voiced my history to anyone before, and I would be glad for someone to hear it. Especially someone from my own home plane."

She sighed and began, "I was born one hundred and thirty two years ago, in the small Sword Coast town of West Harbor. It is a tiny swamp village, no more than a speck on the map between Neverwinter and Waterdeep. There, I was raised by my foster father - a wood elf ranger named Daeghun Farlong. My true father - a human, I'm told - I never knew. My mother was a sun elf named Esmerelle. She died shortly after I was born, along with most of the other townsfolk, in a tragic attack on the village. I survived, but just barely. A 'miracle child' I was called.

"When I was a teen, I found my calling. In those days, Kelemvor Lyonsbane was quite young. Having just ascended to the Throne of the Dead, his priests were looking for new recruits to spread the faith. Shortly after my twelfth birthday, one such priest stopped in West Harbor on his way to Neverwinter. The priest and I took to each other as soon as we met. His name was Brother Dunstan, and he soon proved to be more of a father to me than Daeghun. He was convinced that I would make a good acolyte for the Kelemvorite clergy, and he asked to take me with him back to Waterdeep. Daeghun was none too pleased, but upon my insistence, let me go.

"At the time, I didn't know why I was suddenly so happy. Little did I or Dunstan know that I had already been marked by Kelemvor. This would prove to be a problem later on."

Rhaine paused to take another sip of wine. She fingered her gauntlets absently, "I actually began my training at the Temple of Kelemvor in Waterdeep as a paladin. I had a knack for swordfighting, and I was well on my way to becoming a squire for a Knight of the Eternal Order, when the priests made an astonishing discovery. During a sparring session, I accidentally cast a magical shield upon myself, with no incantation or knowledge of the spell whatsoever. The other acolytes called me a freak. Most of the instructors were baffled. But the High Father knew what had happened. He was an old cleric, a holdover from Myrkul's regime. He called me a 'Favored Soul.' Just like a sorcerer has no need for spellbooks or scrolls, as opposed to a wizard, a Favored Soul already has divine magic within them, and thus, has no need at all to pray for power.

"Suddenly, my course of study changed, and so did my life. I was trained personally by Brother Dunstan from then on, who was the only one trusted with my instruction. For melee combat, I was trained in our Lord's favored weapon: a bastard sword. Though, by that point, I required little additional teaching. It was no wonder I was fit for a paladin's swordplay - I had already been chosen to fight in such a manner by a higher power. It was ingrained in my very soul.

"I studied the path of a warpriest. Instead of focusing on magical protection, I was trained to eliminate enemies - particularly undead ones - with devastating offensive spells. It is no surprise that the acolytes who once made fun of me began to flatter me and offer friendship. But I shrugged them off. In those days, I had only Dunstan, who eventually became a Father in the church. It was he who taught me the tenets of Kelemvor's faith, and stressed to me the importance of the church's doctrine.

"Finally, when I was twenty-five, my training was complete. I was one of only five acolytes who graduated with the coveted epithet of 'Doomguide' - able to cast some of the most powerful spells available to a Kelemvorite. I returned home to West Harbor, just in time for the Harvest Fair. Unfortunately, the day of celebration turned into a massacre. I was forced to investigate the attack, and my journey took me all over the Sword Coast. I eventually became a Knight of Neverwinter, in the service of Lord Nasher, with my own land and castle.

"It was at this castle of Crossroad Keep that I defeated the army of the legendary King of Shadows. For twelve hours, my mere three hundred men and I held off an endless army of undead, and the next morning, the King of Shadows himself was slain by my hand. But not without a heavy loss of life. Several of my dearest friends and over half of my vassals perished. Yet, I was unaware of this at first.

"I had been transported to Rashemen by some strange feat of magic, held captive and under a sleeping spell by a Red Wizard, and then possessed by an ancient curse. This curse, the 'Spirit Eater,' lived within me for the next few months. I was forced to feed on spirits, which would accelerate the curse and lead to my death. I could refuse to devour them as well, but that, too, would lead to death. I was suddenly faced with two ways to die, and neither was particularly attractive. All the while, I was breaking major tenets of my Lord's faith. I felt surely he would turn away from me in disgust at my actions, regardless of whether or not I could help them. It did not help when I discovered that the Spirit Eater had been Akachi, the fabled Chosen of Myrkul who had turned his back on his god and led a rebellion against the City of the Dead...and failed. His existence as a ravenous hunger had been punishment for his betrayal.

"I became especially worried when, in my search for answers, I was forced to breach the barriers between worlds and inadvertently called a repeat of this ancient Crusade against Kelemvor himself in his own realm: the grey Fugue Plane. Despite the insistence of my magically summoned 'allies,' I refused to lead the Crusade. I chose to defend the City of Judgment against a horde of angelic, demonic, undead, and draconic enemies. Perhaps it was this simple act that earned my forgiveness...the fact that I verbally refused to betray my god like the Spirit Eater had before me. After the battle, I met Kelemvor face-to-face, and it was he who gave me the secret of lifting the curse of the Spirit Eater.

"After a great spiritual ordeal, the curse was finally ended. Kelemvor was there to greet me, and he praised me for the good I had done. To my utter amazement, he was pleased with me. Despite the fact that my very living mortal presence on the Fugue Plane was a violation of one of his most sacred laws, he was happy. I had ended a foolish cycle of Crusades and had halted the suffering of a spirit whose punishment had been overdone. He forgave me, and offered me the highest place of honors at his side upon my...return."

She sighed, eyes closed momentarily. "Ever since then, I have served my Lord unwaveringly. If anything gave me a reason to dedicate my entire life to his work, then it was his forgiveness. Even if I could not help what I did, even if I had no other choice, I still felt guilty for breaking so many laws...so many rules. I had been faced with damnation - and he waved it all away as if it were nothing."

Rhaine sipped her wine calmly, her eyes distant, "Many years and deeds later, I found out I had been Chosen...given a spark of true divinity by Kelemvor himself. My aging was effectively halted. And my fate was sealed - in time, I will become completely divine, and my place will be amongst the gods themselves. The reason for this action is still unknown to me. Perhaps he thought me the only one capable of handling the greatest of the church's threats...perhaps I was the only one he trusted. Either way, my responsibilities are now greater than most mortals would be willing to accept.

"Which is why I am here. Portals from Toril to Nirn were recently discovered by the gods, and it was through one of these that Kelemvor instructed me to go. He spoke of an undead threat festering here in Tamriel that could spill over into Faerun if not stopped. Apparently, this threat is large enough to cause a disaster if allowed to go unchecked. He told me to seek out this inn, its patrons, and a Breton sage called Myrmaad. Apparently, someone here knows more about this threat, and I must have more information if I am to proceed."