Skyrim and Steam

SeparateElite

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the case, but you will still require Steam and it is undeniable that Steam is a pain in the derriere for games that you want to mod. It also drives me nuts how you cannot stop Steam autoupdating the game whether you ask it nicely not to or not, so cannot avoid the patches that break more than they fix, for example.

I have just had my new all singing all dancing rig built for Skyrim readiness and have had very recent experience of the difference in the ease of re-installing modded Oblivion and Fallout 3 as against Fallout New Vegas. OB and FO3 were a piece of cake. New Vegas was a pain, in particular trying to get the blasted thing to play at 1920 x 1080, the native resolution of my screen.

I really hope it's going to be Steam only, no need worry about discs one bit.(though haven't had need for this earlier either but still) Never had any problems with Steam and I don't see how download speeds will affect anything as they'll obviously include the game in the disk, even if it is activated through Steam. Edited by Nysba

Could someone explain to me what's wrong with having a Steam game?? Fallout NV was fine and no one seemed to have any Problems with modding. And I downloaded both Oblivion and Fallout 3 from steam and they were both fine... So what's the problem??

Could someone explain to me what's wrong with having a Steam game?? Fallout NV was fine and no one seemed to have any Problems with modding. And I downloaded both Oblivion and Fallout 3 from steam and they were both fine... So what's the problem??

Perhaps it's things like this:

For 800 MS Points you can now get the latest Dragon Age II DLC. However it also appears Dragon Age II has been pulled from Steam. There is speculation the game was pulled due to the new Legacy DLC which apparently infringes on Steam's policies. No details on the exact policy that is broken has been mentioned to the public.

People dislike requiring Steam because if you don't have an internet connection, you can't play the game. You need to activate the game online, at least once, to get it to work. Another thing is that they feel that it's just an extra program they don't need that's slowing down their computer. There's also the already mentioned problems with updating.

Perhaps it's things like this:

For 800 MS Points you can now get the latest Dragon Age II DLC. However it also appears Dragon Age II has been pulled from Steam. There is speculation the game was pulled due to the new Legacy DLC which apparently infringes on Steam's policies. No details on the exact policy that is broken has been mentioned to the public.

It was removed because EA wanted to sell the DLC's from the In-game store, not the steam store.

I agree with this, steam has a right to remove anything if it infringes the policies. That's EA's fault and their selfishness.

Also, those that bought the game could keep it.

As for Skyrim, I'd like both a Steam version and a non-steam version.

As a side note; I never had problems with steam, it always works great and it's not a problem to have it running in the background.

But then, I use Steam as a social platform too so It's more convenient for me.

Edited by Iv000

Oh yes they did. I just explained that people DID have problems with getting mods to work with Fallout New Vegas. I am not sure where you got the idea that no-one seemed to have any problems. I have had problems, and I am one of those who generally knows how to fix it, but people who are newer to using mods have struggled. I repeat, you cannot stop Steam from Auto-updating no matter how hard you tell it to. This means that all three FONV ini's get fubared and overwritten every time and heaven help you if you haven't backed them up (I always do). Just check out the Type 3 for New Vegas thread for the kind of confusion caused by all this!

stop complaining, you can't change which platform it will be distributed from.

Besides it will probably be in both retail and digital form.

This...

Steam debates have come and gone. So far I have not seen one single company decide to change their DRM model very much even when there is decided payer backlash. Look at Ubisoft, look at Spore. They don't listen to consumers, they listen to marketing guys who don't care and buy into the piracy scare.

Skyrim will probably use Steam for DRM verification because it's an easier solution for DRM than most the other ones out there, both for publishers as well as most consumers. Yep, it sucks that people who bought the game in a store will still have to register and activate their copy... once, but you'd have to do the same with pretty much everything. Yes, while no-DRM is better, it's pretty much unheard of for a non-indy game these days.

Skyrim will, like FONV and others before still have mod support, and still work with mod managers, script extenders, and the like.

The bottom line for me is that I don't like to be extorted by racketeers. It's all set up to make money for somebody.

For several years I did not have an internet connection in my home because I did not need it. I could buy a game at Wal-Mart or Target, take it home and play it.

Now if I buy a new game -- a single-player game, mind you, not an MMO-whatever -- I still need to pay another monthly bill so that when I get that new game I can activate it or whatever.

Surely someone will jump up and say this is all the industry's response to pirating, but if you take a look at sites where torrents are uploaded you'll see that nothing has changed.

The truth of the matter is that internet providers are gaining customers because of things like Steam.