Skyrim and Steam

SeparateElite

Yep, it sucks that people who bought the game in a store will still have to register and activate their copy... once, but you'd have to do the same with pretty much everything.

You left out one important step there though. You have to ...

1. Install the game.

2. Register with Steam (or at least start the client and log in if you already have one account you want to use for Skyrim) and activate the game

3. Download a multi-gigabyte initial patch before you are mercifully allowed to disable updates for this game, set it to "offline mode" and play it.

The third step is unfortunately not an option for a lot of people, even though they might have an internet connection and use it extensively for low-bandwidth application like online banking or forum posting.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, it sucks that people who bought the game in a store will still have to register and activate their copy... once, but you'd have to do the same with pretty much everything.

You left out one important step there though. You have to ...

1. Install the game.

2. Register with Steam (or at least start the client and log in if you already have one account you want to use for Skyrim) and activate the game

3. Download a multi-gigabyte initial patch before you are mercifully allowed to disable updates for this game, set it to "offline mode" and play it.

The third step is unfortunately not an option for a lot of people, even though they might have an internet connection and use it extensively for low-bandwidth application like online banking or forum posting.

I agree with this.

And I find that this is the only flaw in Steam's system.

You should have a option if you want or don't want to download a patch. Offcourse you must download it if you want DLC, but if you can download the DLC, then you can download the patch too.

I had to download a 18 Gigabyte patch (2 patches, each 9Gb) for the Witcher 2, because Steam doesn't let updating files so I had to download the whole 9 Gb file again, twice.

I have a fairly decent 500Kb/s download speed, so it took ~6 hours for each patch. (Which is long, for a patch)

Overall, steam is good, with some flaws.

Skyrim will probably have a Steam and non steam edition, so people with slow internet connections can enjoy it, but will probably have a DVD checking DRM (which is, in my opinion, far worse then Steam).

I started my own Skyrim and Steam debate a while back over here: http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/elder_scrolls_v_skyrim_general_discussion/b67704/20690848/p1/?27

I learned quite a bit, and there were some interesting responses.

By the way...has there been any official confirmation that Skyrim will require Steam? Is there any way to ask the devs via Twitter or Facebook?

It's been stated that it is, but I want to see a link. I don't mind there being a steam version, just as long as there is a non-steam as well.

Indeed. There needs to be a way to please both parties. That way, Bethesda doesn't lose fans/paying customers.

The bottom line for me is that I don't like to be extorted by racketeers. It's all set up to make money for somebody.

A VIDEO GAME TO MAKE MONEY

no way!?

you also have DL patches on xbox too.... also i dont think oblivion or fo3,nv ever had a 1gb patch. just saying. i never heard about it being steam only doesnt matter to me i was buy the Collector's Edition and just play right way and i doubt the retails will be on steam. ill still get mods either way. the only game ive had a problem with on steam is witcher 2.

also if you think steam is extorting you with a free service and sales everyday. you should try xbox live!!!

Edited by hector530

The bottom line for me is that I don't like to be extorted by racketeers. It's all set up to make money for somebody.

A VIDEO GAME TO MAKE MONEY

no way!?

Whatever.

My point is that I should only have to pay for that game once, as opposed to having to pay an extra utility bill each month so that I might be permitted to play games that I've already paid for.

My fallout new vegas works great, all my mods work fine even when it updates it works fine, my only problem with steam is that I buy the CD and I don´t feel like the game is mine, I need steam to activate in my account and it´s linked to that account forever.I prefer games like oblivion and fallout 3 where I can install and uninstall whenever I want with or without internet other than that I just activate the game and turn steam offline.

At least we know it's not going to be Cloud based. ;)

I'm waiting for someone to release a "cloud only" game. Steam is bad enough, wait till it all gets sent to the cloud. In the future you'll not only be deprived of your disc, but the actual game wont even be on your computer. It'll instead be streamed to you off a server. Server down? I'm sorry you can't play. I'm amazed that some people think that's going to be the future of gaming.

I have a forum under PC Gaming about the "Cloud" thing. It sounds terrible. I'm sick of Microsoft, and them wanting to be able to control everyone and what they do. Of course true PC gamers wont want to give up actual hardware for some server based gaming ordeal. They will eventually want everyone to switch over, and that's just not going to go down easily.