Love

kvnchrist

Not to mention, why do we NEED to explain it? Is the pursuit of knowledge the be all, end all, excuse for any action??

And just out of idle curiosity, how can you come up with a 'logical' explanation for an emotion that sometimes completely defies logic? :D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention, why do we NEED to explain it? Is the pursuit of knowledge the be all, end all, excuse for any action??

And just out of idle curiosity, how can you come up with a 'logical' explanation for an emotion that sometimes completely defies logic? :D

Well no. That is just silly. There would be no justification for say drowning a kitten. Saying you did so because you wanted to see how long it took for it to drown, because that is the knowledge you seek, doesn't excuse the fact it is rather sick thing to do and makes you an idiot. If that is what you are implying, you might as well say it so I can point out the logical fallacy. If your argument solely rests on exaggerating the original argument to include any action, no matter how ridiculous, and implying it is the same as the specific case of investigating love, that is a logical fallacy.

IMO No one needs to be interested in explaining love. Just don't be interested in it, it is pretty simple. Understanding it in any sort of psychological or scientific way does not devalue the impact on our lives. In fact because of the beauty and power of it, I find it interesting as a subject in and of itself.

Can you first demonstrate that love does indeed defy logic?

All I know is that love is the most awesome feeling ever and that's really all I need to know, why do people insist on ruining things by getting all scientific and stuff 8)

So lets by our own volition, choose ignorance over the pursuit of knowledge.

Ignorance is bliss. :happy:

Well no. That is just silly. There would be no justification for say drowning a kitten. Saying you did so because you wanted to see how long it took for it to drown, because that is the knowledge you seek, doesn't excuse the fact it is rather sick thing to do and makes you an idiot. If that is what you are implying, you might as well say it so I can point out the logical fallacy. If your argument solely rests on exaggerating the original argument to include any action, no matter how ridiculous, and implying it is the same as the specific case of investigating love, that is a logical fallacy.

IMO No one needs to be interested in explaining love. Just don't be interested in it, it is pretty simple. Understanding it in any sort of psychological or scientific way does not devalue the impact on our lives. In fact because of the beauty and power of it, I find it interesting as a subject in and of itself.

A woman stays with a man that beats her, belittles her, and otherwise abuses her, or her children, yet she stays with him, because she "loves" him. THAT defies Logic.

touché

A woman stays with a man that beats her, belittles her, and otherwise abuses her, or her children, yet she stays with him, because she "loves" him. THAT defies Logic.

Her illogical actions are not love. Try again.

touché

Her illogical actions are not love. Try again.

Those are not my words. Those are from direct experience with battered women. (I was a cop, not a batterer, thank you very much.) The profess they "love" said person, and therefore cannot/should not leave them.

Not to mention, I find it kinda funny that you are willing to assign motivations to someone you don't know, have never met, and have no experience with.

I don't understand how a discussion on what exactly love is could get so heated..

IMO though if you think love is nothing more than a biological need with nothing but rationality tied to it, I think you need to reevaluate what being Human means to you.

Those are not my words. Those are from direct experience with battered women. (I was a cop, not a batterer, thank you very much.) The profess they "love" said person, and therefore cannot/should not leave them.

Not to mention, I find it kinda funny that you are willing to assign motivations to someone you don't know, have never met, and have no experience with.

What motivations do you refer? :unsure:

I simply pointed out that these illogical actions are not love. It may make you do stupid thing... and oh boy can I attest to that, hence the saying, "the things you do for love.." but those actions are not love as in the emotion.

further more, have you excluded the possibility that those illogical actions can be explained by a logical cause an effect? Perhaps you have all sorts of brain chemistry going on making you in a sense love drunk.

What motivations do you refer? :unsure:

I simply pointed out that these illogical actions are not love. It may make you do stupid thing... and oh boy can I attest to that, hence the saying, "the things you do for love.." but those actions are not love as in the emotion.

further more, have you excluded the possibility that those illogical actions can be explained by a logical cause an effect? Perhaps you have all sorts of brain chemistry going on making you in a sense love drunk.

Ah, I see where you are coming from. You are separating the 'emotion' from the actions it causes.