Primmer for Debating

draconix

I hope nobody minds if I post a few links here that I'd recommend people check out. This thread isn't a debate, just my attempt to give beginners some resources to help them out. I'll be adding more resources as I go, but for now, here are two (slightly cheesy) videos to help you spot logical fallacies:

If you have some viewer-friendly resources you would like added to the original post, send me a link via pm, and I'll credit you in the topic.

Ugh.. Primer, not primmer. :rolleyes:

Edited by draconix

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope nobody minds if I post a few links here that I'd recommend people check out. This thread isn't a debate, just my attempt to give beginners some resources to help them out. I'll be adding more resources as I go, but for now, here are two (slightly cheesy) videos to help you spot logical fallacies:

If you have some viewer-friendly resources you would like added to the original post, send me a link via pm, and I'll credit you in the topic.

Ugh.. Primer, not primmer. :rolleyes:

Huh, sounds a lot like someone I know on here.

Especially Ad Hominem :whistling:

I appreciate those..really I do.

But one should (as I have said before) realize most folks that post here see this more as a discussion/opinion panel than any kind of official, logical debate. Having done debating in school I know how its supposed to go...but sometimes one needs realize that your immovable object will be met with an equally opposable force. :biggrin:

Not to say you shouldn't try...but I think you are going to be fighting a losing battle at times. Talking about the changes to renewable energies you can pull it all off...this logic. But talking about any topic which brings out strong emotions on folks around here....*shrug*

I appreciate those..really I do.

But one should (as I have said before) realize most folks that post here see this more as a discussion/opinion panel than any kind of official, logical debate. Having done debating in school I know how its supposed to go...but sometimes one needs realize that your immovable object will be met with an equally opposable force. :biggrin:

Not to say you shouldn't try...but I think you are going to be fighting a losing battle at times. Talking about the changes to renewable energies you can pull it all off...this logic. But talking about any topic which brings out strong emotions on folks around here....*shrug*

I guess it depends on the topic.

When I post my opinions without facts, I get attacked for not having information. If I make posts with facts and logic, I get attacked for not realizing it is a opinion thread.

'When I post my opinions without facts, I get attacked for not having information. If I make posts with facts and logic, I get attacked for not realizing it is a opinion thread. "

If you do not present your opinions as facts then you are on safer ground, present the facts then state your opinion of what you have drawn from the facts making a clear distinction between the two..then leave what is relevant to thread derailment to the moderators. This forum is more aptly named a discussion rather than a debating forum :whistling:

Edited by Aurielius

Might I also add the following: May I suggest that the simple fact that someone disagrees with you need not be construed as an "attack." If a request is made for you to provide proof of a statement or to present some sort of backup, that need not be construed as an "attack" either.

Remember this is a forum wherein people debate, discuss, frequently disagree, etc., so to personalize the requests for proof, etc. as attacks will tend to leave one feeling somewhat bruised after awhile.

Everyone has a different speaking and/or debating style. This may not necessarily be directed at you personally. Or in fact it may be directed back at your style. In any event, it is the subject matter in each case that is at issue, not you personally. So it is always best to just respond to the questions at hand and disregard the emotions caused by your perceptions of the possible reasoning behind them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just added the 3rd installment in the series. He this time talks about some very relevant fallacies that I've seen on this forum, such as "special pleading."

I would say a lot of the things he mentioned are more relevant then that.

One topic was full of special pleading, but I don't think its the most common on the forum.