Primmer for Debating

draconix

The way this is going its going to get locked soon, but I will make one last post on the subject.

Seeing as agnostics don't strictly believe in a god(s) or are not sure, that would mean they are not a theist. Not being a theist is what a atheist is.

So agnostics are still atheists, they are just a different type of atheist.

Erm, anyone that isn't a theist, is therefore an atheist? Terribly sorry, but, I disagree. See my above post relating to the topic.

How do agnostics not fall into the atheist category?

Atheism is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. Agnosticism is saying the existence of god is unknown or unknowable. Contrary to popular belief, agnosticism is not a middle ground between religion and atheism. If your saying that you don't know if a god exists, then how can you worship and believe in that god? You can claim that your a agnostic theist, but it is contradictory.

That being said, would be a good idea to continue this in pm since this is against the rules.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way this is going its going to get locked soon, but I will make one last post on the subject.

Seeing as agnostics don't strictly believe in a god(s) or are not sure, that would mean they are not a theist. Not being a theist is what a atheist is.

Erm, anyone that isn't a theist, is therefore an atheist? Terribly sorry, but, I disagree. See my above post relating to the topic.

Atheism is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. Agnosticism is saying the existence of god is unknown or unknowable. Contrary to popular belief, agnosticism is not a middle ground between religion and atheism. If your saying that you don't know if a god exists, then how can you worship and believe in that god? You can claim that your a agnostic theist, but it is contradictory.

That being said, would be a good idea to continue this in pm since this is against the rules.

Agnostics doubt the presence of a god, or gods. It isn't just black and white, there are varying shades of gray.

Agnostics doubt the presence of a god, or gods. It isn't just black and white, there are varying shades of gray.

Agnostics think the existence of a god is not known or unknowable. Its not just doubting.

Let me put it to you a different way then. If agnostics are the same as atheists, why is there even a separate term for them?

Because Agnostics are not the same.

Agnosticism is a different term that doesn't just extend to religion. Can also apply to other things as well, its generally just used for religion now though.

They are not exactly the same due to the above. Atheism is the opposite of theism. Agnosticism is not the opposite of theism.

While they are not the same, agnostics would still be under the atheist category if used to refer to religion.

Edited by marharth

Atheists are people who have decided that it is extremely improbable for a god to exist, therefore flat out don't believe in one

Agnostics are people who know that it is extremely improbable for a god to exist, but don't really care either way

Edited by Ghogiel

Atheists are people who have decided that it is extremely improbable for a god to exist, therefore flat out don't believe in one

Agnostics are people who know that it is extremely improbable for a god to exist, but don't really care either way

That is incorrect, I have already said the exact definitions.

Atheism is the rejection of a deity. Even if you think a deity is probable, you are still a atheist if you reject said deity.

Agnosticism is the belief that the existence of a god can not be known, or is currently unknown.

My point is, agnostics Do Not equal atheists. They are different philosophies. Lumping them into the same category doesn't follow.

From the dictionary:

1. a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

My point is, agnostics Do Not equal atheists. They are different philosophies. Lumping them into the same category doesn't follow.

From the dictionary:

1. a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

I never said they were the same thing.

I said that if two forum sections were made, it would go under atheism. This is because being an agnostic on the existence of god means you think god is unknown or unknowable.

Your definition isn't very good either. A more advanced definition is below. It does not just apply to religion even though people seem to thing it is just a religious term.

a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience. Synonyms: disbeliever, nonbeliever, unbeliever; doubter, skeptic, secularist, empiricist; heathen, heretic, infidel, pagan.

a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.

a person who holds neither of two opposing positions on a topic: Socrates was an agnostic on the subject of immortality.

Seriously though this shouldn't be discussed here :(

If anyone wants to reply start a forum convo instead.

Edited by marharth