Primmer for Debating

draconix

"Seriously though this shouldn't be discussed here :(

If anyone wants to reply start a forum convo instead."--referring to a discussion on agnosticism

That suggestion of a possible thread topic is the quickest way I've seen yet to go to thread lock. For a thread on Debating 101... :wallbash:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone wants to reply start a forum convo instead."--referring to a discussion on agnosticism

That suggestion of a possible thread topic is the quickest way I've seen yet to go to thread lock. For a thread on Debating 101... :wallbash:

I have read that multiple times and still don't quite understand what your saying.

We are not allowed to debate religion on this forum and we were talking about religion. Was that incorrect to say that it shouldn't be discussed in this topic since it is against the rules?

Edited by marharth

He is saying that as soon as someone utters the words "start a new topic" when in reference to debating a subject that is against the rules a moderator magically appears and slaps on the lock.

in other words, saying that phrase is like jinxing the current topic, dooming to a lock.

I have read that multiple times and still don't quite understand what your saying.

We are not allowed to debate religion on this forum and we were talking about religion. Was that incorrect to say that it shouldn't be discussed in this topic since it is against the rules?

It should not be discussed anywhere on this site, if you think I'm being droll then start the thread and see how long it takes before a moderator locks it.

It should not be discussed anywhere on this site, if you think I'm being droll then start the thread and see how long it takes before a moderator locks it.

I meant forum convo as in PM.

Didn't mean making a new topic, I am aware of the rule.

Edited by marharth

My point is, agnostics Do Not equal atheists. They are different philosophies. Lumping them into the same category doesn't follow.

From the dictionary:

1. a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

I never said they were the same thing.

I said that if two forum sections were made, it would go under atheism. This is because being an agnostic on the existence of god means you think god is unknown or unknowable.

Your definition isn't very good either. A more advanced definition is below. It does not just apply to religion even though people seem to thing it is just a religious term.

a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience. Synonyms: disbeliever, nonbeliever, unbeliever; doubter, skeptic, secularist, empiricist; heathen, heretic, infidel, pagan.

a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.

a person who holds neither of two opposing positions on a topic: Socrates was an agnostic on the subject of immortality.

Seriously though this shouldn't be discussed here :(

If anyone wants to reply start a forum convo instead.

Pertinent part in bold. Agnostic does NOT equal atheist.

This, however, is a rather pointless argument, so, I am not gonna bother this particular dead horse any longer.

I meant forum convo as in PM.

Didn't mean making a new topic, I am aware of the rule.

Then you should be aware that you are already on thin ice by posting a definition of Atheism and Agnosticism which is introducing Religion by the back door. A continuation of this little repartee is going to be seen as a discussion of Religion.

OK, it took a while before someone reported this thread, but...

a) Almost all of the discussion for the last several pages has been totally off-topic (Which was "How" to debate, remember?)

-and-

b) Those several pages have been totally outside the Nexus ToS, even for this Forum. (See Dark0ne's policy here: "Religious debates are banned".

So... Enough!