ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Bethesda sues Notch over the use of the word "Scrolls"

yoba333

only the law and order in the US/UK (both basicly the same) takes effect.

What on earth gave you the idea that US/UK law are basically the same? They aren't. Nothing like. The UK is part of the EU, not the USA.

Wow. Just wow.

The differences are very small. Gun laws are the largest difference.

Name some differences for me- *stops*

Get back on topic, this discussion is over.

Uh...no. Think of bills that are passed. Laws that are passed in the US. Just look at ACTA.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SubjectProphet....

Law is my subject. I have a degree in it so I suspect I know a lot more about it than you care to think.

Well the USA has a whopping big written Constitution. The UK has not and is a common law and statute jurisdiction. The USA has a state system and a Federal system and answers only to itself. Now here is the biggy, which is what is relevant in this topic, the UK does not have this multi tier system, and the laws of the UK may be subject to those of the EU, and may be, and often are, overturned by the European Court of Human Rights. Therefore, especially in the matter of both copyright protection and consumer law, there would be a good chance that the same thing would happen as would in Sweden, also part of the EU - a big fat "get lost" to Bethesda. In Europe the EULA's for games have to be different, hence certain wording in the CK EULA for example, or the fact that XBoxLive has a different one for the UK/Europe than it does for the USA - because they cannot get away with such draconian restrictions in Europe.

@Arthmoor - I agree with your points. I am not quite so supportive of Notch as so many seem to be - I think they pretty obviously were capitalising on the popularity of TES.

How the hell does the Elder Scrolls font look anything like the Scrolls font?

http://scrolls.com/

How does that look anything like this

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/Elder-Scrolls-Skyrim-Leveling.jpg

or this?

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2356/morrowind01800.jpg

Also the scrolls site has a generic fantasy background that doesn't even come close to matching elder scrolls art style. Not to mention there is not big whatever the f*** that thing is on the right in any elder scrolls game.

Also ITS AN DIGITAL CARD GAME. It is not even close to being a rip off, or even being based off of the elder scrolls.

They are not trying to feed off the elder scrolls in any possible way. They have minecraft already, and minecraft probably has more PC players then the TES games. They used minecraft to get scrolls advertised. Minecraft is as popular as TES, if not more so. They have no need to use TES to get their game noticed.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the elder scrolls. How anyone could possibly think that is beyond me.

@SubjectProphet....

Law is my subject. I have a degree in it so I suspect I know a lot more about it than you care to think.

Well the USA has a whopping big written Constitution. The UK has not and is a common law and statute jurisdiction. The USA has a state system and a Federal system and answers only to itself. Now here is the biggy, which is what is relevant in this topic, the UK does not have this multi tier system, and the laws of the UK may be subject to those of the EU, and may be, and often are, overturned by the European Court of Human Rights. Therefore, especially in the matter of both copyright protection and consumer law, there would be a good chance that the same thing would happen as would in Sweden, also part of the EU - a big fat "get lost" to Bethesda. In Europe the EULA's for games have to be different, hence certain wording in the CK EULA for example, or the fact that XBoxLive has a different one for the UK/Europe than it does for the USA - because they cannot get away with such draconian restrictions in Europe.

@Arthmoor - I agree with your points. I am not quite so supportive of Notch as so many seem to be - I think they pretty obviously were capitalising on the popularity of TES.

Right now, our papers written to make the country mean nothing. But once again, back on topic.

Either way, Scrolls looks nothing like TES, Bethesda just needed a quick buck.

@Marharth

Looks like you are a bit worked up on this one. Profanity and circumventing the adult filter is a no-no. You are very active here and I consider this unusual for you so why don't you take some time and step away. Please watch your postings and do not circumvent the filter again. Strike issued as warning. ~Lisnpuppy

How the hell does the Elder Scrolls font look anything like the Scrolls font?

http://scrolls.com/

How does that look anything like this

or this?

Also the scrolls site has a generic fantasy background that doesn't even come close to matching elder scrolls art style. Not to mention there is not big whatever the f*** that thing is on the right in any elder scrolls game.

Also ITS AN DIGITAL CARD GAME. It is not even close to being a rip off, or even being based off of the elder scrolls.

They are not trying to feed off the elder scrolls in any possible way. They have minecraft already, and minecraft probably has more PC players then the TES games. They used minecraft to get scrolls advertised. Minecraft is as popular as TES, if not more so. They have no need to use TES to get their game noticed.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the elder scrolls. How anyone could possibly think that is beyond me.

I a gree with a lot of arguements here.

I understand lawsuits are very costly too. But Bethesda doesn't really need the money for this. IMO it's their lawyers that conjure up these things. I very much doubt the CEO of bethesda look at "Scrolls" and said "OMG lets sue them right now, for using the word scrolls!"

This won't fly as it's under swedish law. No way.

Why? In Sweden you can't trademark excisting words in a language (I doubt that applies to fictional languages though, but as far as I know "scrolls" is a real word). Heck, you can't even trademark entire letters.

I suppose next step will be to serve any company using the word "the" in their titles. Would be cool if the Tolkien brothers sued Bethesda for using their father's and partially their work in their (Bethesda's) games.

No matter, if they want to fund the swedish government with free cash, who am I to complain?

Bethesda's US and UK laws and roots take place into this. The Swedish law has no effect here, as Bethesda is the one sueing.

Sorry, but if it wasn't valid, Bethesda wouldn't sue anyway. They did because they know that the Swedish law has no effect on this, and only the law and order in the US/UK (both basicly the same) takes effect.

So by submiting a sack with a big ol' dollar-sign on it to the Swedish court, you actually think US/UK law will ever see itself in a swedish court? I'm sorry my good Sir, that's just not ever going to happen.

I know the US like to think they can hold citizens located in their own country accountable under US laws and jurisdictions, but as France would put it:

http://www.figarospeech.com/storage/monty.jpg

Edited by Lhamaria

If I offended anyone with my previous post I would like to apologize. I wasn't in a very good mood. It just kind of annoyed me people are defending Beth so much lately.

Thank you, Strike will be removed. ~Lisnpuppy

Edited by Lisnpuppy