Bethesda sues Notch over the use of the word "Scrolls"

yoba333

The waty IO see it it doesn't really matter if Majong uses "Scrolls" as most mainstream gamers and the majority of the customer base is not going to get confused on that. Most people recognize the subtitles of the games without even paying any mind to the title of the Franchise. You know how many people htought Oblivion was "Morrowind II"?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
This whole topic does enrage me, but there is something many of you don't think about. If this one company copyrighted the word Scrolls, then wouldnt they be able to sue bethesda for using that word in The Elder Scrolls? This is why they are probably sueing, to protect their claim of their name. This won't go anywhere. it just needs to be documented im sure.

lol next thing you know if Bethesda wins the lawsuit. Their lawyers might start looking into the word "Elder"

Just imagine the lawsuits Bethesda's lawyers could conjure up on old peoples homes and retirement establishments using the word "Elder" lol

I honestly am starting to believe their lawyers have nothing better to do then to find their company ways to sue just to make a little proffit.

edit: if Bethesda starts getting the reputation of a software company suing on use of words they might even start to encounter other business to start suing them...

http://www.tes.net/

http://tes.collegesource.com/

http://tes.asu.edu/

the list goes on.... lol

Edited by colourwheel

This won't fly as it's under swedish law. No way.

Why? In Sweden you can't trademark excisting words in a language (I doubt that applies to fictional languages though, but as far as I know "scrolls" is a real word). Heck, you can't even trademark entire letters.

I suppose next step will be to serve any company using the word "the" in their titles. Would be cool if the Tolkien brothers sued Bethesda for using their father's and partially their work in their (Bethesda's) games.

No matter, if they want to fund the swedish government with free cash, who am I to complain?

This won't fly as it's under swedish law. No way.

Why? In Sweden you can't trademark excisting words in a language (I doubt that applies to fictional languages though, but as far as I know "scrolls" is a real word). Heck, you can't even trademark entire letters.

I suppose next step will be to serve any company using the word "the" in their titles. Would be cool if the Tolkien brothers sued Bethesda for using their father's and partially their work in their (Bethesda's) games.

No matter, if they want to fund the swedish government with free cash, who am I to complain?

Bethesda's US and UK laws and roots take place into this. The Swedish law has no effect here, as Bethesda is the one sueing.

Sorry, but if it wasn't valid, Bethesda wouldn't sue anyway. They did because they know that the Swedish law has no effect on this, and only the law and order in the US/UK (both basicly the same) takes effect.

only the law and order in the US/UK (both basicly the same) takes effect.

What on earth gave you the idea that US/UK law are basically the same? They aren't. Nothing like. The UK is part of the EU, not the USA.

only the law and order in the US/UK (both basicly the same) takes effect.

What on earth gave you the idea that US/UK law are basically the same? They aren't. Nothing like. The UK is part of the EU, not the USA.

Wow. Just wow.

The differences are very small. Gun laws are the largest difference.

Name some differences for me- *stops*

Get back on topic, this discussion is over.

Bethesda needs money.

Bethesda sees "Scrolls."

Bethesda calls a lawyer.

Profit!!!!

I am eternally amused at the notion that filing trademark lawsuits is somehow cheap and therefore makes a great way to rake in cash. It isn't cheap, and it's not a great way to rake in cash.

Also, this isn't simply about the word "scrolls" so much as it's the background, font, and other stylistic design choices the word was placed with. That is what got Zenimax's attention more than anything.

If you don't think it's possible to have a trademark with a common word as part of the mark, someone should tell Microsoft's lawyers they've been wrong all this time.