When is it okay to kill someone?

marharth

Well I just "wiki'd" your reference to "Lidice", what a horror, what a pity that Himmler escaped justice by committing suicide.

Isn't that good enough reason - to really hurt our enemies in a serious way - so that such a travesty never happens again ?

You'll just convince your next enemy to a) either use devastating force against you so you are entirely crippled and cannot do the same thing to them, or b) devise new tactics (e.g. asymmetric warfare) where you are hurt but you cannot respond efficiently.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I firmly believe every Nazi out there should have been hunted down like a dog, tortured, gassed then shoved in a fire. The fact that some escaped justice...

However, I believe the Germans need to stop apologizing now. lol 15 years ago my school had a German exchange student, he got up before us in assembly and publicly apologized to us. I didn't get why... still don't. He wasn't alive back then, not many were. Why was he saying sorry?

The German people, as a whole, were idiots but someone is fooled all the time. I guess... during Hitler's life... the suckers of the world all lived in Germany. I don't know what could make a people act like that - think of one race as sub-human - and I hope I never find out.

Oh I firmly believe every Nazi out there should have been hunted down like a dog, tortured, gassed then shoved in a fire. The fact that some escaped justice...

However, I believe the Germans need to stop apologizing now. lol 15 years ago my school had a German exchange student, he got up before us in assembly and publicly apologized to us. I didn't get why... still don't. He wasn't alive back then, not many were. Why was he saying sorry?

The German people, as a whole, were idiots but someone is fooled all the time. I guess... during Hitler's life... the suckers of the world all lived in Germany. I don't know what could make a people act like that - think of one race as sub-human - and I hope I never find out.

While I agree that the Nazi's out should be put down like dogs, and also agree that Germans must stop carry the guilt of their fathers, I must disagree that the Germans

were idiots.

You need to live in a society where the State will take drastic action against you if you step out of line to understand where the average German was coming from.

They were living in fear of their lives whether we choose to believe it or not.

But getting back to Marharth's question as to whether or not it's ok to kill someone, I'm fairly certain that under the "right" circumstances - though we wish it were not so - we WOULD in actual fact take the life of someone else.

Those "right" circumstances would vary depending on the person.

I tell you what. After World War I, the Germans were forced to accept humiliating terms (Treaty of Versailles). Then came the Great Depression in 1929. Poverty coupled with national pride and resentment over the excessively humiliating peace treaty were a hotbed for extremists like the Nazis. Antisemitism is unfortunately not something that was invented by the Nazis. I suggest that you read the Wikipedia article about it; discussing its origins here would quickly cause this thread to be locked. But if you consider that the German economy suffered greatly due to the depression, and, as the article says, one of the aspects of antisemitism is economic ('Jew as banker, usurer, money-obsessed'), it is easy to see how impoverished people can be misled by using a combination of patriotic rhetoric, the image of a common enemy who is responsible for their poverty, and through their influence on the foreign government, for their humiliation as a nation, and the promise of a brighter future that they deserve as a superior, but greatly oppressed race.

It is never ok to kill, only for the killing. We are nearly the only animal of the mammils that kill each other in fight. All other animals know their strength, and will try to avoid confrontation. If they need to have a confrontation (replacement of leader male/female) the weakes will often back down before the wounds become deadly. Off cause if happens incidently that the fight is rough and the wounds so many and severe, that the losing individual dies later from infections. But other animals don´t seem to kill out of hatred, like we do. This is unique for the human species. Other animals kill out of fear, defence and in hunting.

We kill in any perverted manner one can think of. Secterual killing, hatefull killing, killing for loot, killing for revenge, jealousy, desire, bla, bla, bla

Personally I would never kill, not even to defend myself or mine. I would rather be killed. I do not find it ok to walk into other countries and kill people here due to ones paranoia. Violence creates violence, period. It has allways been like that. You all ask how has the world come to what it is today? Killing, killing back and killing back for revenge, and so forth. :confused:

Plenty of other animals kill each other. Not that we can or should derive morality from animals.:rolleyes:

Pacifism rubs me the wrong way, mostly because I think they're mostly liars trying to be condescending.

Edited by draconix

Something I have been thinking recently.

When is it okay to kill someone or a group of people?

I won't say anything yet, would like to see the replies first.

Never.

(No I'm not just saying it because I am German.)

Edited by tortured Tomato

It is never ok to kill, only for the killing. We are nearly the only animal of the mammals that kill each other in fight.

Oh Balagor my old friend, Orcas, Gorillas, Chimpanzees, Water Buffaloes, Hippopotamuses, Wolverines, Tigers,and Lions to name just a few engage in mortal combat. We might be the only mammal that does it for intangible reasons but nature is hardly pacifistic, you need to go hunting more often . As for the main question there are definitely exceptions to the rule , meaning certain people that would have been better terminated before they got a full head of steam...Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Genghis Khan come to mind.

Oh Balagor my old friend, Orcas, Gorillas, Chimpanzees, Water Buffaloes, Hippopotamuses, Wolverines, Tigers,and Lions to name just a few engage in mortal combat. We might be the only mammal that does it for intangible reasons but nature is hardly pacifistic, you need to go hunting more often . As for the main question there are definitely exceptions to the rule , meaning certain people that would have been better terminated before they got a full head of steam...Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Genghis Khan come to mind.

Justifying killing with killing will just ensure that it never ends.