Pregnancy in Video Role-Playing Games

WizardOfAtlantis

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is Pregnancy in Video Role-Playing Games Realistic?

No one is going to make power armor for pregnant women. It is difficult to make, if not impossible in the current times, and its utility would be severely limited. Why would you make an expensive, high tech suit, that would only really fit, for a couple months? Colossal waste of resources, in a time where resources are extremely scarce. The same reasoning could be applied, to a lesser extent, to the other armors. Leather I supposed would be the easiest to manage for such purposes. Any rigid material though, that requires tools to work (forge... hammer, things of that nature) isn't going to come in "expecting" varieties. Unless it is a special, one-off item.

Also, in a post apocalyptic world, the 'lone pregnant woman' is going to be an EXTREME rarity.

I have to call BS on you on that one, hun. People never stop having sex and with that world a couple could easily be together and happy one min and the woman alone and knocked up the next. As for the waste of resources....well as much crap scrap metal that is about being unused....if the woman can fashion it herself mostly...then I would say its entirely plausible. There are tons of things the modern U.S. Military waste resources on....military intelligence is after all...an oxymoron. Also the pregnant mother would not find it a colossal waste if she needed it to protect herself.

Then look back in our own time at the number of pregnant women in countries that were in the middle of war zones....alone and pregnant being a rarity?!? *laughs* You have to be kidding me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, in a post apocalyptic world, the 'lone pregnant woman' is going to be an EXTREME rarity.

I don't think any of us is qualified to claim anything about the rarity of things in a post-apocalyptic world so distant in the future with any degree of certainty. Not to mention that New Vegas is not a realistic scenario unless supermutants, ghouls, talking trees (I know, that was in FO3, but the same game universe), flying personal robot companions and robot armies somehow qualify as realistic.

You have a point, it isn't really "realistic".... but, within the confines of its universe, it tries to be. Still, unless human gestation periods have been extended greatly in such an alternate universe, most of my reasoning still holds.

You have a point, it isn't really "realistic".... but, within the confines of its universe, it tries to be. Still, unless human gestation periods have been extended greatly in such an alternate universe, most of my reasoning still holds.

No, it doesn't.

Women have always handed down maternity clothes to each other. And great maternity clothes have always been treasure!

No, it doesn't.

Women have always handed down maternity clothes to each other. And great maternity clothes have always been treasure!

I don't recall ever seeing 'maternity armor'....... what would be the point? An unbalanced, rather encumbered opponent? Who would make such armor, especially something as complex as powered armor???

Well, if the woman was incredibly rich (as many of our characters are,) it would stand to reason that she would have a personal armorer that she could give that special order to. It might even be adjustable for the different stages of pregnancy using straps. I dunno haven't seen the armor - I play Oblivion only lol.

Funny, I haven't noticed *any* historical female armor lying around lately since men picked up the plow. < (pointed reference there for historians in the know)

Joan of Arc apparently had a custom armor based on the patriarchal fashion in vogue.

We have no records on what Boadicea wore exactly, and there is no reason not to believe that when you're shorthanded any able body that can fight will. There's a point in pregnancy when you may not be able bodied, but necessity is the mother of invention.

Pregnancy isn't a problem, but having someone who is pregnant in the middle of combat situations everyday?

I don't see the need for special armor to make it realistic, if your pregnant you shouldn't be running around nearly getting yourself killed every minute.

I mean the player character runs around all the time doing crazy s***. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Funny, I haven't noticed *any* historical female armor lying around lately since men picked up the plow. < (pointed reference there for historians in the know)

Joan of Arc apparently had a custom armor based on the patriarchal fashion in vogue.

We have no records on what Boadicea wore exactly, and there is no reason not to believe that when you're shorthanded any able body that can fight will. There's a point in pregnancy when you may not be able bodied, but necessity is the mother of invention.

Precisely. Necessity always forces people to be inventive - if I were preggers in a wasteland and the father of my baby was dead, I'd surely fashion some protective armor from scrap metal pieces and leather straps that would at least deflect knives, arrows or thrown stones. Obviously, it would be useless against firearms, but so is the 'armor' of Caesar's legionnaires.

Pregnancy isn't a problem, but having someone who is pregnant in the middle of combat situations everyday?

I don't see the need for special armor to make it realistic, if your pregnant you shouldn't be running around nearly getting yourself killed every minute.

I mean the player character runs around all the time doing crazy s***. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Going on a rampage against a bunch of thugs when you barely escaped death and you have nothing but a few pieces of clothes from your savior's wardrobe and a weak gun... that does make sense. :rolleyes:

This pretty realistic compared to how it's handled in Dwarf Fortress. If you have female soldiers, and they get pregnant, the baby gets carried with them into battle, ffs. Once they're past a certain stage in their military career, you can't even make them civilians anymore. Needless to say, this often results in tragedy, which can lead to insanity and eventually death in the game. Whole forts have died due to a mother giving birth in battle, and the resulting baby being promptly killed. A more realistic approach of course would be the mother takes a break from her duties, gives birth, the child is cared for by others, and she goes on with her military duties.

In the fallout universe, it makes more sense that there won't always be other options. What if the mother is alone in the world, and has to make her own way, and hunt and survive on her own? The naysayers might say "Well, can't she find a village to take her in?" It wouldn't always work like that though. A baby would be another mouth to feed on resources scarce to begin with once it was weaned.

So to me, armor to fit a pregnant form is realistic, and sensible.