[Idea] A 'simulation' area with a bunch of new unconnected are

AlexanderJVelicky

Which would you guys prefer?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Levels or unique names?

• Levels.
    • Unique names.
  2. 2. More small levels, or less big levels?

• Larger areas. (15-30 minutes; 1 released each week)
    • Smaller areas. (5-15 minutes; groups of 3 or 5 released each week)
  3. 3. How should I release the mod?

• As each simulation is ready. (A new one almost weekly)
    • All at once. (Just before Skyrim)

Gamemodes or not, I still find the proposal fascinating. I love the idea that it is repeatable, no need to reload a save.

If the mod can be made into a modular format it will be great. Distribute an instruction file, everyone can create their own dungeons, plug and play, how sweet.

I voted "unique name", "no follower" and "small areas". Actually a 15 minutes game play is good, and to be honest I don't have any particular preference on this issue. But "no follower" is a must, cause it will give you (us) much more flexibility on scripting.

And for the bosses. It might be too early to jump to the "boss" section but I got a few ideas.

1. Sniper battle. So the player and the boss are in an industrial setting with lots of stairs, but each has a separated territories. You have to take out the boss with long range weapons. The boss will be running around and try to snipe you, and there will be enemies spawned in your territory to distract you.

2. Boss knock-down. Player and the boss are in a closed setting but the boss is set as essential. You need to use weapons with knockdown effect (like shotgun with and stay back perk, or ballistic fist) to knock him off into an irradiated pit to kill him.

Maybe I'm just a bit tired with boss that comes with high DT and DAM. They are just tough, but not unique. Loves to see bosses that can teleport, turn invisible, special attack that can destroy your weapon instantly, or attack with an effect like -10 STR for 10 seconds which force you to slow down.

My English sucks. Hope you understand what I mean XD :facepalm:

Your English sucks? You are more literate than most people on the Nexus. :P

I like your thinking. I really hate mods that just have a giant version of an enemy with triple health and damage. What about a boss that throws big grenades that explode with a large radius, but take longer to blow? He could throw a grenade at you and you'd have to be awesome at dodging to get away from the blast. :)

If the mod can be made into a modular format it will be great. Distribute an instruction file, everyone can create their own dungeons, plug and play, how sweet.

For this to occur I would either have to make the mod entirely about letting others make things and plug and play them, or just have me making things. I couldn't mix, and since I want to make things, I think I would go with the latter. :P

A boss means we need boss rooms, large enough to run away and hide or dodge around and evade. I would imagine a boss being similar to Old World Blues Giant Robo-scorpion or the General Jingwei end fight in Operation Anchorage.

I am fine with the bosses not having unique models, but I do hope they fit the location they are in and the battle themselves are imaginative.

What is your current simulation work in progress AlexanderJVelicky?

Yeah. I would probably try to make boss fights unique. Though, it really depends on the whole set up. As of now, I am kind of thinking, I am going to do more like 5 somewhat large areas. I was going to do 1 a week until Skyrim, but I'm thinking I may do more like 1 every 2 weeks. Imagine Dead Money, but more like 30 minutes long. You enter the simulation, and are thrown into a story then have to work your way through it. I donno, I'm trying to figure stuff out. As soon as I am done fixing some serious issues with my recent release, I should be diving in on this mod.

I'm actually thinking I will do a mix now... I will try to release one every week, first I need to figure out a schedule and get into a routine. But some weeks, it may be a short story, where you wake up as 'someone' and have to do a few simple things. One week I may add a 'team deathmatch' type arena or something. I will just come up with an idea each week and make it. Since it is a simulation, you will start each one with alloted weapons, and would lose everything you get during it when you finish. So, that said, I would need to find some other way of rewarding the player... Or, come up with an excuse for why you keep everything you get during the simulation.

A good way to reward the player is experience, a mini perk for the completing of each simulation additional damage to a specific creature or increase in some kind of gun usage, You could be imaginative with this. Weapons or armour make no real sense as an incentive, unless they are truly unique, how about access to a device, that makes ammo or repairs armour. You could set it up so each completed simulation unlocks segments of a player house surrounding the simulator.

Hopefully you might get inspiration from some of those suggestions, I look forward to the first release. :)

Mm....how about the player is awarded with some kind of tokens? The player can use the tokens to buy service / weapon / armor / companion (!?) / or even reputation with different factions. The more precious the reward, the more tokens are needed to purchase them.

(OK I got this idea from Resident Evil mercenary mode)

Since you want to make each mini-quest repeatable, I guess the token may provide some incentives for players to re-do the quest again and again in order to earn their rewards.

Well, due to what you guys have said, and what I have planned, there will be no followers allowed.

However, now I am faced with another question. How should I release the mod? I currently plan to make 8 simulations, each with their own mini quest/plot, but then there is the main plot of the mod overall. So, should I release each simulation as it's done in an update for the mod, or, should I make the ENTIRE mod then release it all at once when it is completed? I can either release each simulation which will take about a week and a half each, or I can make the entire thing, then release it at the very beginning of November.

What would you guys prefer?

If I do it as it's done, you guys get new content slowly over time, but essentially beat the mod over the next 3 months. But if I hold it all back, you don't get anything for 3 months, but when you do get it, it's the complete story and is all finished.