How stable is stable enough?

UtopianOne

Stability Poll (With at least FWE or MMM or any other major mod))  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Fallout 3

• 30 minutes
    • 1 hour
    • 2-3 hours
    • 4+ hours
    • "Foolish mortals! My Fallout 3 has never had a single CTD! Bwahahahaha!

Everyone who voted is a dirty liar. That's me, too. Nobody wants to admit that their Fallout 3 crashes after 5 minuites in certain cirumstances, but plays all night long in others. IT's just the nature of the beast with this buggy, buggy game.

if it crashes it is unstable... the question should be how unstable is tolerated or deemed acceptable. Hard to answer, most my gaming sessions ends as soon as one or two crashes in a relatively short roll.

I normally get about 1-2hours gameplay before it CTD. Though places vary in stability.

In the train stations, the pitt and other DLC I find I get more stability.

I've found places that cause the most crashing to be (despite how long i've been playing). The billboard sign on the road in between megaton and the Mart, Rivet city in the market place.

I'm using A lot of graphics mods; NMC's texture pack, fellout, my vision FX mod etc. And I have most of the settings in the pref.ini file higher than the launcher will otherwise allow.

My fps jumps like crazy usually it's between 30-55 fps however it will stutter at times when loading large distances* (expected and I find the view worth this). The lowest constant I've seen it at is 13 fps this only ever happens in combat indoors with a lot of stuff going on.

*Eg turning around to view tenpenny tower will stutter. then do it again 30 seconds later but I rarely hang around an area like this long enough for it to become irritating.

Comparing the game to others It's very unstable, so was oblivion. Even unmodded. Portal 2, left 4 dead 2, ... TF2 other source engine games give me the best stability IMO I got 1 or 2 crashes with portal 2, besides that it never happened. 2 worlds 2 was very stable as is the witcher 2. Oblivion**, fallout 3 were not. I like to think this is the Gamebyro engine fault and not bethesda.

** Though after installing the latest OBSE and stuff I rarely get a crash.

that's my 2 cents

Edit: I also use a few mods which reduce CTD.

Edited by arcane20

I get 2 to 3 hours usually. But, like bethjunkie I have a spot in my game, BigTown and right around it, and if I get a shorter run than 2-3 hours its usually because of it or because I'm mixing modding and gaming. :whistling: