Skyrim vs Witcher 2

uzzui

Skyrim is an ORPG

The witcher is an RPG

Skyrim was designed to be a *sand box style* game, while the witcher was designed as a traditional role playing game, really pointless comparing the two,

Ouch .. "traditional" sorry man but I have to disagree with that.. strongly .. traditional RPGs are by all account western RPGs that fallow the general D&D style gameplay "The first real ROLE PLAYING GAME" I think the word RPG gets used to much .. By loose enough standards you could argue that GTA is a role playing game .. You play a role .. But in a "traditional" RPG the role is defined by you like D&D .. I still think the Witcher is an RPG but certainly not a traditional RPG.

So JRPGs are not traditional RPGs?

Skyrim is an ORPG

The witcher is an RPG

Skyrim was designed to be a *sand box style* game, while the witcher was designed as a traditional role playing game, really pointless comparing the two,

Ouch .. "traditional" sorry man but I have to disagree with that.. strongly .. traditional RPGs are by all account western RPGs that fallow the general D&D style gameplay "The first real ROLE PLAYING GAME" I think the word RPG gets used to much .. By loose enough standards you could argue that GTA is a role playing game .. You play a role .. But in a "traditional" RPG the role is defined by you like D&D .. I still think the Witcher is an RPG but certainly not a traditional RPG.

So JRPGs are not traditional RPGs?

Mmm.. nope .. Its a JRPG .. and idc if I take heat for saying that .. I think JRPGs were the first computer RPG attempts and they couldn't do what D&D did with custom characters and evolving stories since the 2D graphics were limited and devs were locked down to some basic turn based dice role gameplay .. It has become a tradition of its own .. a traditional JRPG that is .. Not a traditional RPG.

Mmm.. nope .. Its a JRPG .. and idc if I take heat for saying that .. I think JRPGs were the first computer RPG attempts and they couldn't do what D&D did with custom characters and evolving stories since the 2D graphics were limited and devs were locked down to some basic turn based dice role gameplay .. It has become a tradition of its own .. a traditional JRPG that is .. Not a traditional RPG.

If i may bud in for a moment, isn't ultima the first computer rpg, appearing at the end of the 70s? (FYI Final Fantasy 1 din't occur until 1987)

Also if i recall correctly (boots up Dosbox ultima 1) ultima is an ORPG simliar to TES series

note: no trolling intended, just not to many people remember Ultima now-a-days

Edited by FreekillX1Alpha

If i may bud in for a moment, isn't ultima the first computer rpg, appearing at the end of the 70s? (FYI Final Fantasy 1 din't occur until 1987)

Also if i recall correctly (boots up Dosbox ultima 1) ultima is an ORPG simliar to TES series

note: no trolling intended, just not to many people remember Ultima now-a-days

No worries .. not a troll comment at all its just a good point .. I just mean in general early RPGs were very limited.

God, this thread will become a haven for trolls...

May personal thoughts: I don't like the Witcher series, or directed RPGs (My personal catagory for those types of RPGs, DRPGs for short) in general, although some do well. But I respect them as a form of story-telling.

Unless it's COD... I refuse to classify it as any kind of RPG. (Nearly vomited when Todd Howard claimed that COD was a hardcore RPG... Power crazed gaming developer say wha...???)

What is the point of making thread "W2 vs Skyrim" on TES Skyrim forum? It's obvious that W2 don't stand a chance here...

I haven't played Skyrim so i don't know how good the game is.

I haven't played W2 so i don't know how good the game is. (w8ing for pc upgrade)

But i have played Odlivion and Witcher 1 and I prefer W1 with the great, non linear story and cool main and secondary characters. Maybe because i'm from Poland and maybe because i'm a huge fan of A. Sapkowski books.