Skyrim vs Witcher 2

uzzui

(Nearly vomited when Todd Howard claimed that COD was a hardcore RPG... Power crazed gaming developer say wha...???)

He never said that. Why do people always misconstrue that comment? He said COD was a hardcore game with RPG elements and that as such it still sells well. He was comparing it to Skyrim which is a hardcore game with FPS elements and saying that the flip should have no problem selling either.

Depends on what you grew up with. For example, growing up, I played almost exclusively and Strategy RPGs and JRPGs so I never developed a taste for the D&D universe. So when I finally tried my first D&D based RPG, absolutely hated it.

I have not played Witcher 2, but just comparing Oblivion versus Witcher, Oblivion is so much better in my opinion.

The Witcher 2, while being in the same genre, is a totally different game then Skyrim.

It's linear (and has limited open levels), with a heavy focus on story and decisions, while Skyrim is open and the focus is on gameplay.

I just finished Witcher 2 a few days ago, the story and the many decisions you can make in the game are absolutely amazing.

It definitely wasn't lacking in gameplay, but it could have been a lot better.

Skyrim's main focus is that you choose your story. In the Witcher 2 you are always Geralt of Rivia, in Skyrim you can be every race and every profession.

It also gives you a not limited open world, with a lot more focus on gameplay.

Witcher 2 felt more like an adventure game with RPG elements, then a full RPG.

Similar to Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

I more and more think that you people are comparing those games because they have swords, armor, magic and dragons.

Remove the swords and the magic, and put in firearms. You couldn't compare them then.

The Witcher 2, while being in the same genre, is a totally different game then Skyrim.

It's linear (and has limited open levels), with a heavy focus on story and decisions, while Skyrim is open and the focus is on gameplay.

I just finished Witcher 2 a few days ago, the story and the many decisions you can make in the game are absolutely amazing.

It definitely wasn't lacking in gameplay, but it could have been a lot better.

Skyrim's main focus is that you choose your story. In the Witcher 2 you are always Geralt of Rivia, in Skyrim you can be every race and every profession.

It also gives you a not limited open world, with a lot more focus on gameplay.

Witcher 2 felt more like an adventure game with RPG elements, then a full RPG.

Similar to Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

I more and more think that you people are comparing those games because they have swords, armor, magic and dragons.

Remove the swords and the magic, and put in firearms. You couldn't compare them then.

Yea .. Then is would be like calling Mass Effect 2 an RPG .. oh.. wait... "But seriously .. I'm going to go ahead and clear up what my idea of an RPG is .. Enemies Drop Loot, Character needs an inventory to find said loot, Story Must be flexible in some way, Dialog options are a must, And Finally Leveling in some form.. By these standards The Witcher is an RPG of course but I know I also just called a bunch of other RPGs out as adventure games instead .. like ME2"

Everybody has a different explanation to what a RPG is.

To me it's a game that allows you to wander freely around the world, that is filled with quests, items, different and detailed gameplay elements (Like cooking, mining, crafting, enchanting, stealing etc) and heaving a leveling system with skills.

And so I compare RPG's to this line. Going more towards the right is RPG, towards left is less RPG.

Look at Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, it has almost everything what you said, tons of items, an open world, quests, dialog options, a ranking system, yet it is still a survival horror game, at least that's what it says under "Genre".

Games are getting so mixed these days that you can't really put them under one genre but under multiple ones.

ME2 is an action adventure game with RPG elements. They removed the item loot, simplified the skill system etc.

While ME1 is a RPG at core, with an action/adventure skin.

That's what my opinion is anyway, as I said, everybody has a different view on such things.

Edited by Iv000

The Witcher is not a TRUE RPG, it's an action/adventure game with RPG elements, simliar to Deus Ex. If it was a "RPG", I would have made another character and not use Geralt at all. Mass Effect a hybrid of RPG mechanics (such as dialouge, character advancement etc) and TPS combat and so far it has worked wonders for that series. If we are going to talk about RPGs, then lets remove "dress up barbie dolls" companions, pointless iso-camera, slow combat, and horrid UIs that can drive you up the wall, because these always come back in one way or another.

As for which would win at the end of the year? Well it's Skyrim, hands down. It's already got more hype than TW2, and more people will buy it than TW2.

Why would you want to play someone other than Geralt? He is The Witcher! He is the main purpose to play this game. Its like being an actor, which wants to play in pirate's movie, but wants his character to be an astronaut.

If not being able to chose your character means the game is not a TRUE RPG then i think Skyrim is not a TRUE RPG ether, because you have to have at last a little manual skill to aim with bow/magic, move in dynamic combat and that makes it an ACTION RPG. I don't see the point in arguing which game is more "true rpg" because the only true rpg is DnD. Even the settings are completely different. Skyrim is more like heroic fantasy(Lord of the Rings, etc) while Witcher is(i dont know a proper name for it) brutal, dirty, and more mature world (quite like real middle ages). I think we need to w8 for a professional review of skyrim and then on a professionals to say which one is better (because it's obvious that most ppl here are fans/fanboys of skyrim and TES mechanics)

Witcher has a linear storyline, right? I'm not a fan of games like that. Some are good, but others, well, not really. I don't really care that it has better graphics or stuff. I would prefer Skyrim, as it is an open RPG where you can do as you please. When I played Oblivion the choices you could make, the type of weapons you could use seemed a lot to me. Skyrim promises even more freedom.

Witcher has a linear storyline, right? I'm not a fan of games like that. Some are good, but others, well, not really. I don't really care that it has better graphics or stuff. I would prefer Skyrim, as it is an open RPG where you can do as you please. When I played Oblivion the choices you could make, the type of weapons you could use seemed a lot to me. Skyrim promises even more freedom.

In the run up to release of The Witcher 2 the developers tried to say that it was open world but just before release they admitted that you can not travel backwards to previously visited area's and while each area is pretty big the demo shows that they are made up of corridors just like it's predecessor.