Steamworks confirmed.

ThomasKra

... Please, Steam is far better than GFWL. There is so much wrong with that DRM I don't know where to begin

You probably don't know where to begin because GFWL is NOT a DRM. FO3 used a disk check and GFWL was just for achievements and updates. Again GFWL could be completely ignored, uninstalled and you could patch the game manually. GFWL is not needed in ANY way to run FO3. Try running NV legally without Steam, you can't do it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Please, Steam is far better than GFWL. There is so much wrong with that DRM I don't know where to begin

You probably don't know where to begin because GFWL is NOT a DRM. FO3 used a disk check and GFWL was just for achievements and updates. Again GFWL could be completely ignored, uninstalled and you could patch the game manually. GFWL is not needed in ANY way to run FO3. Try running NV legally without Steam, you can't do it.

You ever tried to play GTA IV on PC? It is definitely a DRM when it wants to be, and a very ill-thought out one at that.

It seems to me that there's a few very common arguments when it comes to Steamworks threads.

Whenever somebody has a beef with Steamworks (DRM), somebody comes out and lists all the positives that come with Steam, whether the game requires it or not.

- Steam is fine. I don't take any issue with Steam itself. It's a digital distribution. I do take issue with Steamworks, as that can stop me in my tracks from being able to play games.

- You don't really lose anything if the game doesn't shove Steam down your throat. You can still get the game off Steam, and as far as I know there could still be achievements.

Whenever somebody says they don't have a reliable enough internet connection, somebody comes up with the offline mode argument, and the disabling auto-patch argument. My theory is that this usually comes from people that don't actually use offline mode or disable auto patching.

- Disabling auto patching is a joke. It's pretty unreliable, and you're still forced to download any day 1 patches. Dial up? Good luck. Bandwidth cap? Good luck. Sure not every game requires a huge patch download, but it's enough games where it's an issue.

- Offline mode? It works. Somewhat. I don't really like it. I still feel like I'm tied to an online client, and with my internet that's just not a good feeling.

I wish Bethesda would just go the SouthPeak method. Have a one time online activation or a phone in activation. Very accessible.

The only reason I see that Bethesda chooses Steam is to prevent resale, which to me has always seemed pretty crooked.

It seems to me that there's a few very common arguments when it comes to Steamworks threads.

Whenever somebody has a beef with Steamworks (DRM), somebody comes out and lists all the positives that come with Steam, whether the game requires it or not.

- Steam is fine. I don't take any issue with Steam itself. It's a digital distribution. I do take issue with Steamworks, as that can stop me in my tracks from being able to play games.

- You don't really lose anything if the game doesn't shove Steam down your throat. You can still get the game off Steam, and as far as I know there could still be achievements.

Whenever somebody says they don't have a reliable enough internet connection, somebody comes up with the offline mode argument, and the disabling auto-patch argument. My theory is that this usually comes from people that don't actually use offline mode or disable auto patching.

- Disabling auto patching is a joke. It's pretty unreliable, and you're still forced to download any day 1 patches. Dial up? Good luck. Bandwidth cap? Good luck. Sure not every game requires a huge patch download, but it's enough games where it's an issue.

- Offline mode? It works. Somewhat. I don't really like it. I still feel like I'm tied to an online client, and with my internet that's just not a good feeling.

I wish Bethesda would just go the SouthPeak method. Have a one time online activation or a phone in activation. Very accessible.

The only reason I see that Bethesda chooses Steam is to prevent resale, which to me has always seemed pretty crooked.

Well summed up, sir! I'm in agreement with the prevention of resale; that seems out of left field since DRM is intended to reduce piracy, not used game sales. Same with one-time activation: seems just as effective to me.

it's a complete joke. why should i pay for an over priced pc game only to be tied to a frequently unreliable 3rd party program drm. steam is great for indy games that you normally wouldn't have access to, but i'm so pissed off how people like me with crap internet connections constantly get shafted. steam has always been a buggy mess ever since they forced me to use ot to play cs 1.6 and i hated the piece of s*** ever since. any kind of drm is terrible and any game that makes me use steam will get pirated. it's that simple.

You're allowed to have a rant, but please be aware that the nexus family of sites does not condone, nor support piracy. So lets leave that subject alone, shall we? http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/293557-piracy-and-you/

I'd rather not see anybody get into any trouble here, ok?

-DarkeWolf, Nexus Staff.

Edited by DarkeWolf
Staff warning

im going to cancel my reservation of skyrim in my local store next week.

this is so stupid of Betsheda, why they attack and make troubble for legit people who want to make right for them?

there decision to use steam dosent effect pirates at all, who will have there version of the game probebly the same day?

Please see my comment in the post directly above. -DW

Edited by DarkeWolf
staff warning

Just admint it you pirate all your games, if pirate one game why buy games at all?

if its me u adress, no i dont!

But i bought a lot of games that i regretted becose of there low quality, but TES games is another issue those i played i loved and would easly pay twice the amount.

Why i dont like steam is becose our online gameing clan requierd of for one game a few years back, we all had issues with lag and other stuff so we stoped playing that game and all uninstalled STEAM.

Yes it was a few years back but NEVER again.

Back to piracy: like i wrote, STEAM mever stopped any piracy did it? And again, lets drop that portion of the discussion. Thanks! -DW

Edited by DarkeWolf
staff warning