Steamworks confirmed.

ThomasKra

The other alternative is GFWL! Yay! :wallbash:

Unless your wanting achievements GFWL would be a welcome alternative because i can just disable, uninstall, ignore and manually update a GFWL title. Steamworks is not going to keep me from Skyrim like it did from NV but i'm not happy with it. I'm just simply tolerating it so i can play and mod what is potentially the best game ever made.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless your wanting achievements GFWL would be a welcome alternative because i can just disable, uninstall, ignore and manually update a GFWL title. Steamworks is not going to keep me from Skyrim like it did from NV but i'm not happy with it. I'm just simply tolerating it so i can play and mod what is potentially the best game ever made.

... Please, Steam is far better than GFWL. There is so much wrong with that DRM I don't know where to begin

As uneventful and pleasant as my own Steam experience has been, I definitely believe that many people have had problems with it. Be it internet connection, auto-updating, mods, or principle, I understand why some people might even hate it.

...What bugs me is when people say they won't buy the game on account of the DRM. If you want to boycott it, petition Bethesda; don't whine about it on the forums and claim you're not going to buy it. That's entirely not constructive, and it unjustly punishes the developers for wanting to prevent piracy of their product. If enough people find Steam inconvenient and voice their opinions to Bethesda, maybe they can change the DRM to something less intrusive. I, for one, miss the days when all you had to do was type a code into a box to install your game, but perhaps that measure isn't effective anymore.

Publicly traded companies like bethesda really don't have much say over DRM. It comes down to whatever the clueless investors deem "failing to protect their assets".

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Looks like it will be unsafe for kids to be around me when installing :P

still gonna buy and install though after I am done steam stays in offline mode for another year :P

Will Steamworks affect the possibility of a Mod Manager for Skyrim? I realise that mods will still work, but will it affect how the mods are installed, and whether a mod manager could help with organisation?

Nope .. NV mod manager works fine

Will Steamworks affect the possibility of a Mod Manager for Skyrim? I realise that mods will still work, but will it affect how the mods are installed, and whether a mod manager could help with organisation?

Not at all.

The configuration and other files are being kept away from Steam. Most are in "My Documents", others are in "AppData" (Depends on what OS you are using).

edit:

:ninja:

Edited by Iv000

The only real issue with steam that I can see is that you can't resell or trade the game once its set to your account .. as far as the auto updates and mods .. WTF are you all talking about?? .. My games don't auto update if I tell them not to and all the mods I have on new vegas "a steam game" work fine as well as my steam goty fallout3 mods .. This thread is like reading those religious May 21, 2011 end of the world arguments .. and I assure you this story will end the same way :P

We are saying that not all of us can turn off autoupdates, even if we tell them not to. That is WTF we are talking about. We do all the things in the Steam and game menus that we are supposed to do, and Steam ignores us. So yours behaves fine? I am very pleased for you. Just be broad minded enough to accept that whilst you may not have any problems with Steam, others do. The ones that do have problems are not necessarily stupid and ignorant. Indeed, we have found ways to make Steam do as it is told, rather than doing what it wants (see the bit about altering the permissions on the Steam folder.)

It is the hit and miss, inconsistent nature of Steam that makes some of us groan at the confirmation of Steam for Skyrim. As well as the fact that Steam seems to be taking over in all kinds of other insidious ways. I had no idea that they had done some kind of hook up with AMD/ATI until I got my new Skyrim ready system, installed Steam and..."Would you like Steam to update your video drivers?". And I find they have installed a video driver updater programme! Gaaaah! I do not appreciate that!

Publicly traded companies like bethesda really don't have much say over DRM. It comes down to whatever the clueless investors deem "failing to protect their assets".

Actually, as far as I know, Bethesda is not a publicly traded company. Did you hear that somewhere or are you just assuming it to be true? I checked, wanting to invest in them, and could only find information to the fact that they are not traded.

I had no idea that they had done some kind of hook up with AMD/ATI until I got my new Skyrim ready system, installed Steam and..."Would you like Steam to update your video drivers?". And I find they have installed a video driver updater programme! Gaaaah! I do not appreciate that!

Yeah, reset my drivers, too, and I HAVE an ATI card. Problem was, it reset my drivers with card-incompatible drivers and my whole system went 800x600 red/blue/etc. And that made it Very difficult to uninstall the drivers as the systems options windows were Huge and I couldn't see all the buttons, etc. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/woot.gif

Thankfully, I had paid attention to the fact that Steam had installed this Catalyst control center, so on that I went and uninstalled what Steam installed, and downloaded from the Catalyst site the version that I needed for my graphics card and got it all working. That was a very hectic hour, though...not fun. Not to say I know a lot about pc's, because I don't, but someone who would have known less in that situation would have been screwed, and screwed precisely in the moment that they would have been expecting to be enjoying their brand-new game. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/nuke.gif

But other than that (and other than fighting the fact that Steam CAN turn your auto-updates back on, maybe on updates?...), Steam gives me great possibilities in gaming...I live in Italy but I'm American-born. I want my games in English, and Steam gives me this, so yay Steam! http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif