What do you think about reality T.V.

kvnchrist

For 'reality' shows they are not linked to 'real reality'. Contrived and almost as shallow as many of the people who take part in them. :rolleyes: :wallbash: :whistling: :down: :yucky: :no:

Wow most of the posts are quite extreme views of Reality TV. Makes me wonder how much this represents the majority. Think I am the only one so far who feels it has entertaining moments and I was thinking of talent shows, competitions where there are some really amazing performances. The drama could certainly be staged or scripted or misrepresented, but you don't need to take it seriously. Movies and fictional works are all scripted and acted, not much difference as far as I am concerned.

Perhaps the issue is coming to terms with how these shows misrepresent themselves to be real with partial reality, although the awareness of scripted Reality TV seems to be quite widespread among the average informed viewers. So should it bother you if you already know? You can call it preference but how is this aspect different from fictional media.

It also seems like some of the comments might be based on selected Reality TV shows which I can agree are not entertaining to say the least but almost all kinds of media has a fair share of low ratings. So perhaps it is unfair or unnecessary to condemn this form of entertainment, it is an individual preference. No one is compelled to watch it unless maybe social pressure or relationship pressure.

There are even derogatory views of Reality TV viewers which I don't quite understand. It seems to allude that the individual choice of entertainment defines his intellectual level which I do not think is fair assumption. The widespread popularity of certain shows can trigger negative bias opinions but is this some form defense mechanism to justify the feeling of exclusion?

Just for discussion, not taking any sides.

Edited by sendo75

I don't understand the point of them, so I see them as being useless. I don't want to watch the life of some drunks/loud-mouths/divas thrown all over national television while they wander around ruining their own lives making absurd amounts of money in the process.

I'll just say I've never had a deep, philosophical debate with someone who watches "Jersey Shore" with any regularity.

I don't understand the point of them, so I see them as being useless. I don't want to watch the life of some drunks/loud-mouths/divas thrown all over national television while they wander around ruining their own lives making absurd amounts of money in the process.

I'll just say I've never had a deep, philosophical debate with someone who watches "Jersey Shore" with any regularity.

Most of TV is useless, owning a supercar is useless, point is we do these things anyways :P

Doesn't change reality TV though, thats just shallow garbage.. As i said before I really only watch BBC (for Doctor Who) and science channel, and lately even science channel is filling up with reality tv garbage.

I think it is the most ridiculously unrealistic things I've ever seen on tv. I think Rosanne was more real than any 15 of these combined.

What this guy said. I'm so sick and tired of aaalll these reality TV shows. Real world and road rules or what ever it was called was bad enough back in the day. Now they got jersey Shore. Even basket ball wifes. when the majority of the girls on there arent even married to any of the players lol Its pretty sad what people do now a days to get there 15 minutes of fame.