Immigration in the US

marharth

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got Cherokee blood in me, my grandmother on my mom's side is mostly native. Does that make me more American than my father who doesn't?

Yes.<br><br>Edit: actually, I hadn't read the whole question before responding. I thought you were saying "more american than those who aren't part Cherokee" which you are. Your father who married someone of Cherokee descent is more american than one who has not, IMO.<br>

Edited by draconix

I've got Cherokee blood in me, my grandmother on my mom's side is mostly native. Does that make me more American than my father who doesn't?

Yes.<br><br>Edit: actually, I hadn't read the whole question before responding. I thought you were saying "more american than those who aren't part Cherokee" which you are. Your father who married someone of Cherokee descent is more american than one who has not, IMO.<br>

Well that might not be the case. I have been told, my mother still thinks I don't know this, but the person my mom was married to at the time, is probably not my biological father. But that guy beat her and s*** apparently, so I hope this is true. So technically I am a illegitimate bastard.

edit: I like to think of myself as some sneaky love child my mom had. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ghogiel

Conquest eh? I guess I missed the part in History class where the Mayflower laid siege to Plymouth Rock against the massing horde of native warriors.

Keep reading your history. You will figger it out.

Depends on who ya ask. :D

You could say that the Americans won this land from the Indians the same way you could say that the Nazis would have won Europe from the Jews. It wasn't conquest, it was a several hundred year holocaust. The land was stolen. The men were killed, the women were raped, and the history of it all, shat upon by public schooling for generations to come. People talk about what happened like it was destined to happen, like it was predetermined that this would be the end solution. No... this was just the decisions of a few key people in our history. It's atrocious.

Could it have happened any other way though? Do you think the natives were going to adopt the newcomers way of life, and welcome them with open arms? Not likely. Lifestyles were just way too different. And then of course, the natives also didn't have a powerful militarized nation taking their side either..... Or, were the new settlers going to adopt the natives way of life? Again, not likely. Was there a happy medium? Sure, for several decades, till population pressure nixed that...... The natives were outgunned, out manned, and outmaneuvered. They lost the war. And, just like most other conquered peoples, they are still suffering for it.

But, debating that is rather pointless. It's done. Nothing we can do to change that. The indians are segregated off into their reservations, which, at the time, was land no one wanted..... and, for the most part, still is.... they got a raw deal, and still are.

The fact is that some of them did try to adopt European styles of laws, developed trade with Europeans... There's an entire group of people called the Seminoles, who were a tri-racial native American tribe, which treated whites, blacks, and native Americans equally. Truth is, the societies that sprang up forbade white families from running off to join Native American tribes, it had been a pretty big "problem". Given enough time, and peace, the US would have been completely different. The idea of Democracy actually came from Native Americans, who inspired European philosophers like John Locke, who in turn inspired our founders. Later on, we even managed to bastardize that...

But you're right, we should get back to keeping others out of the land that we don't own.

It's in the United State's best interest at this point to allow people from Mexico to come into the United States for work. People from Mexico are willing to work harder for less money than the lazy people in the US are, and it's that labor that will run our factories, and produce our exports. It's in utilizing this ready and willing workforce that the US will be able to climb out of this debt that we're sinking in. That, and correcting our taxation system, and spending less money overseas.

The idea of Democracy actually came from Native Americans, who inspired European philosophers like John Locke, who in turn inspired our founders. Later on, we even managed to bastardize that...

Specialization in revisionist history? It seems that you think that Athenian democracy was unknown to our very classically literate founding fathers. Second, our Republic was more modeled on Sparta because of it's perceived stability. The founding fathers considered democracy on a direct basis lead to tyranny of the masses, a lesson that first French revolutionaries learned to their dismay as the reign of terror consumed the moderates."Locke's influence during the American Revolutionary period is disputed."~Bernard Bailyn (History Chair, Harvard College)