Quote of the Day

iansaltman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here are some quotes translated in English from one of my favorite authors:

"The deepest and most expensive thoughts are those for which we regret that we have no tears."

"Boredom: blank suffering,diffuse struggle. You don't get bored in hell, you only get bored in paradise."

"Life without an utopia is suffocating, the world needs a new delirium, or is sentenced to fossilization."

"Better in mud than on the pedestal!"

"The man loves vulgarity more lasting and more persistent than the sublime."

"We want to die without the existence of death."

"Only in love you can see how much you have declined"

"If our judgement is right, it is better that there isn't anything. If there was, we would live with the fear of losing it. As long as there is nothing, all the moments are perfect and void, whether we enjoy them or not."

"Between a slap and an insult, we always endure the slap better."

"Because I sought the truth, it was inevitable to come across the lie.."

Anyway, I translated them by hand and with a bit of help from google translate. Most of these things are from poetry and stuff like that so it's really hard to translate. Sorry for this :(.

Edited by Alecu

"To finish first, first you have to finish" Formula One proverb, reffering to the fact that inconsistancy has never won anything, least of all World Championships.

Many of these "quotes of the day" look like proverbs to me, so here are a couple from a few select coutries.

America (US) ........... Never laugh at a live dragon.

Arabic ...................... The ropeman got mixed with the archer. (Things got chaotic).

Australian................ The bigger the hat, the smaller the property

English ....................All cats are grey in the dark.

French..................... When three people know, the whole world knows (idiomatic) (Secret de deux, secret de Dieu; secret de trois, secret de tous)

German .................. Two dogs strive for a bone and a third runs away with it (Wenn zwei sich zanken, lacht der Dritte in Gedanken).

Greek ......................A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

Israeli....................... If you want your dreams to come true, don't sleep.

Japanese .................The stake that sticks out gets hammered down (Deru kui wa utareru).

Korean .....................A great river does not refuse any small streams

New Zealand.............Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.

South African...........A fool is a wise man's ladder.

Swedish...................A bee does not touch a withered flower.

This was fun.

Over the piano was printed a notice: Please do not shoot the pianist. He is doing his best.

-Personal Impressions of America (Leadville) (1883) by Oscar Wilde

Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien

Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." Hunter S Thompson.

PS. Don't ever do Ether.

Edited by Flintlockecole