Why was Negative Endorsement removed?

Sagebeat

I agree with Sagebeat and also would want to say that the new site is much more "beauty" oriented than functionality. The one thing that I like when I'm using my PC, is that I can easily handle complicated systems, IF they give me more functionality. The old site was also kinda "restrictive" but this new one is even worse. This isn't Apple or a console, there is no need to make things simple AND restrictive.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From my point of view, being a modder.

The old negative endorsement system, in my opinion, didn't work. Purely because the reasons were either really vague or subjective. For example "Couldn't get the file to work" 99% is the user's fault for not reading the instructions properly, not the authors, and "Doesn't fit into my tastes" is irrelevant, just don't use the mod if you don't like it. If there's nothing wrong with what it does, but you don't like it personally, that's not a valid reason to make the file look negative.

Most mods on the nexus are high quality, and if there are dodgy mods uploaded, they're usually taken care of pretty darn quickly. I see no reason for negative endorsements.

"Positive feedback doesn't require a constructive response. It's just that; a pat on the back. If they so choose, they can give some constructive thoughts on the mod."

Then why cant a negative just be a frown? Why the double standard?

For the same reason telling someone their kid is adorable is a minor compliment that is quickly forgotten and telling someone their kid is ugly is a major insult that may end with bloodshed. Or the same reason telling your girlfriend she looks great will get you a quick smile and maybe some attention for a few hours, but telling her she is ugly will end it forever. There is a double standard because the two are not equal.

And telling your uncle his cooking is bad before he spends twenty grand to open a chain restaurant? Baseless praise is JUST as a bad unwarranted criticism. Complacency breeds mediocrity.

And what if he downvoted your mod saying that it has potential but doesn't work because of one critical error that pops up on quite rare occassions? Will he get banned from your mod and all of your future mods?

To be fair, a rate down would be almost unwarranted in this particular situation. In a perfect world where downrates are attached to comments and moderated, it would be removed. Downrating a beta because it crashes and is buggy isn't acceptable.

Downrating a mod because it's a finished product and causes characters to occasionally blank states, or corrupt a save? That is downrate material.

You are right. I should have thought that through.

Still, I am against such a thing. Denying someone access to your mod for mere criticism? No sir, I don't like it.

My point is, if you don't like a mod at its current state, that doesn't mean that you won't like it when or if it improves with time.

Just to understand your mindset, would you ban him from ALL your mods if he only thought one was bad? If so, what is the reasoning?

Probably, but it would depend on the reason given and if an honest attempt to find a solution had been made. There is one negative endorsement I have where I actually still help the guy out when he asks for help. He thumbed down my mod because he really knows nothing about mod installation, but he seems polite and nice enough so I helped him get things working even though he still has not removed the negative endorsement. But I would not ban him. But the guy that thumbed Unified HUD because he failed to install darnified ui correctly? Him I would ban :)

"Positive feedback doesn't require a constructive response. It's just that; a pat on the back. If they so choose, they can give some constructive thoughts on the mod."

For the same reason telling someone their kid is adorable is a minor compliment that is quickly forgotten and telling someone their kid is ugly is a major insult that may end with bloodshed. Or the same reason telling your girlfriend she looks great will get you a quick smile and maybe some attention for a few hours, but telling her she is ugly will end it forever. There is a double standard because the two are not equal.

And telling your uncle his cooking is bad before he spends twenty grand to open a chain restaurant? Baseless praise is JUST as a bad unwarranted criticism. Complacency breeds mediocrity.

You just destroyed your own argument extremely well :) If you tell you uncle his cooking is bad to stop him opening a restaurant, why would you immediately book him to cater at your wedding? If my mods are so bad that you think I should not be modding, why do you care if you can or cannot download any more?

Removing negative feedback is ridiculous. Just like removing positive feedback and leaving only the ability to make negative reviews would be silly (albiet better than only positive feedback because at least you could give constructive feedback with negative reviews only.) This will just turn the feedback system into a circlejerk.

Just to understand your mindset, would you ban him from ALL your mods if he only thought one was bad? If so, what is the reasoning?

Probably, but it would depend on the reason given and if an honest attempt to find a solution had been made. There is one negative endorsement I have where I actually still help the guy out when he asks for help. He thumbed down my mod because he really knows nothing about mod installation, but he seems polite and nice enough so I helped him get things working even though he still has not removed the negative endorsement. But I would not ban him. But the guy that thumbed Unified HUD because he failed to install darnified ui correctly? Him I would ban :)

I really mean no disrespect when I ask any of these questions, and i'm sorry if I come off harsh. I apologize in advance, tempers are high and there's no need for more drama.

Why do you think it's fair to give you moderator privileges if someone downrates your mod if it doesn't actually effect your mod?

You just destroyed your own argument extremely well :) If you tell you uncle his cooking is bad to stop him opening a restaurant, why would you immediately book him to cater at your wedding? If my mods are so bad that you think I should not be modding, why do you care if you can or cannot download any more?

If his uncle knew that his cooking is not that good, he'd surely start reading books about cooking and would improve.

Then I'd book him to cater at my wedding.

Edited by Teaguy

Because he may be awful and cooking dinner, but he can cook one hell of a mean breakfast.

Edit: Perhaps I should expand upon that metaphor! :biggrin:

Let's say your awful at quest scripting and storywork in general, and your quest mod is downrated, but you make some of the most beautiful axes in the game, and he knew from your axework you were a good modder, so he went to try out your quest mod and was underwhelmed.

If you make something bad, and want to get better, dont you want people to tell you its bad so you can improve, instead of telling you its good, so you can remain at the same level of low quality?

Edited by Sagebeat