Low FPS with Radeon 6870

bigbluebot

Hai guise,

SO, I upgraded my PC's video card from 6870 to 5770, and when I went to play New Vegas, it automatically set it to low settings. I thought it was odd, but I simply carried on, changing the settings back to ultra. Once I got in-game, everything was fine, same 60 fps as 5770 (I had Vsync on, so hardly a difference in this game). I started off in Caesar's tent, but when I went outside my FPS sank to 25-30. It happened in a lot of other places, too. I'm sure it's not a problem with the card, as it works fine with Bad Company and a few other games, it's just New Vegas acting up. So, halp?

Specs:

AMD Radeon 6870

AMD Phenom II x2 3.3 ghz, unlocked to quad-core at 2.8 ghz

4gb DDR3 1333 mhz Ram

Windows 7 64bit

Edited by bigbluebot

First off, New Vegas is a one of a kind game like TES. It's huge and open world. So it is probably just the game itself that is acting up. You can try to use FSR (Fallout Stutter Remover) and see if that fixes your problem. Also, you can install Better Game Performance and see if that helps as well.

Here are the links:

FSR: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34832

Better Game Performance: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=401

Let me know if any of these help you out. Also, when you install FSR, start the game and it will generate an .ini for the mod in the plugins folder where you placed the .dll. Go into that document and find the setting," Maximum FPS: 30, " and set that to 60. Then look at the next line and it will say "minFPS: 10" and set that to 15. That will allow the game to achieve it's maximum frames. Again, let me know if you need assistance with these.

Good luck my friend.

-Elsarian

Anytime my friend.

I have a 6870 too and it's working fine, sometimes the FPS fall lower then 40 but that's mostly because of the mods I use.

Do you have Anti Aliasing enabled? I recommend setting it maximum on 4, even more on 2.

Also I think it's the game's problem not yours, the engine is not really well optimized.

Let me try it out and I will report back if I see similar problems.

It seems I was wrong, the game is truly stuttering and mostly in the 40's - 30's (Though I tried it with 4 AA, and max settings)

In inside cells it's a solid 60 or 50 FPS, outside it's a mess.

I think it's the game either:

a) not supporting our GPU's - which I doubt

b) the engine is poorly optimized - that's probably it

Edited by Iv000