Mods do nothing

Edit: I found out that the problem was the Highwood (Manor) mod that stopped my Oblivion from launching, so the problem now is: How can I use the Highwood mod? I've downloaded and installed all the patches for it (The OOO and Sausage Havoc)...

--------

Everything below is now irrelevant

Edit: I downloaded the Shivering Isles 1.2 patch and that worked, and then it would crash on start up (Comes up with a black screen then disappears instantly) I uninstalled and installed Oblivion to a different place (/Program Files instead of /Program Files (x86)) and that didn't really do anything. It worked fine until I re-patched to 1.2 and now it still crashes. Are there any unnoficial patches I can download that will fix this?

Thanks for you help.

I'm trying to use the Tyrael mod (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22794)

I put the .esp, Textures and Meshes files into the \Data (C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data) and cross the box in the Data Files thing on the Launcher

When I play and go to the mod destination (Purchase from A Fighting Chance in Imperial City), but there's nothing new there, just beginner's kit (It's a new game)

I'm new to this and only got Oblivion for PC today, so I don't entirely know what to do. No other mods I've tried work either.

I tried to patch it up to version 1.2, but this keeps happening:

Any help?

Edited by SergeantHandlebars

Firstly:

files into the \Data (C:\Program Files (x86)\...

Install Oblivion somewhere else. Some kind of windows security whats-it, gets all upset with mods if you try to install in Program Files. As for the patching, I'm not sure. Hopefully that'll work after a re-install.

Seargeant

Hi what you have from what i can see might be a misplaced or a problem with windows not wanting to accept the folder windows vista/7 sometimes dosen't like things installed in the x86 program folder.

Its a somewhat common problem on 64 bit platforms of that operation system. It even happened to me with 7zip archiver.

If you can install it to a single folder on your main drive like Tes4 or oblivion this way it has a full easy access by the program controls in windows.

Also as to the mods problem you need to extract the folder like textures and mesh folders including any esp/esm to the data folder or under the data folder like this (ex. C:\Oblivion\Data)

after that it will read the folder correctly if you also have any that also have same structure over write them by clicking yes or yes to all.

Hope this helps.

Good luck ,

Sacred

Edited by SacredLotus

As suggested above, install in C:\Games or somewhere other than program files folder.

Also, read the readme files that came with the mods, they usually have detailed installation instructions as well as a list of programs that are required to run the mods properly.

Follow Bben's guide for reinstalling Oblivion to ensure there are no left over registry entries etc. that could cause problems with your fresh install.

Also, if you're using either GOTY edition, they already come patched to 1.2.0416. If not, be sure to install Vanilla Oblivion then Shivering Isles and finally the 1.2.0416 patch for Shivering Isles, any other installation order could mess up your install and you'd need to reinstall from scratch again.

One thing I've found from playing Oblivion is that sometimes that mod menu doesn't always trigger the mods correctly/display all your mods in the data folder. Download a program like Oblivion Mod Manager or Wrye Bash and check the mods with that, then see if they work.

On my old computer, the Oblivion run menu wouldn't even display my .esp files at all! Yet OMM and WB did just fine.

Although, installing it to a different location might be all you need. Also, run as an Administrator.

Trying to install the shivering isles patch, but, I don't see shivering isles in the data folder there......

I read somewhere that it would work, and for whatever reason it did. I've installed SI now anyway.

if this worked at all

installing SI undid the patch