Gmod Content Policy & Content Index System

Kreisher

Yeah that's not going to fly with me. You can't link directly to the download server; it's practically tantamount to bandwidth leeching.

It might be best you actually hold off announcing things until you actually have something to show.

It links to the download page (unless Nexus throws a flash ad first). What exactly are you recommending then? We could link them to another page - forcing them to jump through additional clicks to find the download page - but that doesn't seem to make since from a usability standpoint. If the user clicks "Download" they have already determined they are interested in the mod. We aren't trying to "Bandwidth Leech" - Nexus puts up an ad and if the file is too large they have to create an account before they can download it.

We could post to another page - but I don't know that would be as useful for the user. I suppose we could link to the mod page instead. Is that what your suggesting?

Also, you and I both know server costs are crazy low now days. One of your ads pays for many many downloads.

You could always just link to the download tab on Nexus so they just have to click one more button then choose their server (for larger files).

EDIT: Ah, that's what you said in the last sentence. Sorry, hadn't seen that :P

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't you link to the file page? even better why not take the time and effort to build your own community instead of leeching off others?

We aren't trying to Leech Jim_uk, we are trying to create a useful site that brings more exposure to mod and modders. Nexus is not only mod site on the net.

I can see the value of linking to the file page - this would also encourage users to contact the developer of the mod. I'll see if we can makes some changes on our end.

Modders - what do you think?

That link you provided went straight to the download page, that is leeching in anybodys book.

The link (often) first hits one of Nexus's ads and requires an active Nexus account before the download can occur. Do you have any idea how cheap bandwidth is these days? LIke I said earlier - Nexus is almost certainly making money from the users Gmod would send their way. Leeching implies making money at someone else's expense - which is not happening.

But I regress, I think the mod page is probably better. I'm going to reach our to our community and talk with our team about changing the landing page.

Edited by Kreisher

You're taking something that someone else has paid for without their permission, it's no different to plugging in to your neighbours electricity or connecting to his internet. There are plenty of mod link sites that operate without annoying people, if you were to build up a large list of mods across a wide variety of games the site could be a useful resource.

You're taking something that someone else has paid for without their permission, it's no different to plugging in to your neighbours electricity or connecting to his internet. There are plenty of mod link sites that operate without annoying people, if you were to build up a large list of mods across a wide variety of games the site could be a useful resource.

We aren't taking anything - we are sending then here. It's more like one store saying "We don't carry this here, but you can find it at this other store, here's how you get there...".

As you say, our goal is to compile a huge list of mods from many sites - and hopefully become a useful resource.

Edited by Kreisher

We aren't taking anything - we are sending then here. It's more like one store saying "We don't carry this here, but you can find it at this other store, here's how you get there...".

As you say, our goal is to compile a huge list of mods from many sites - and hopefully become a useful resource.

You're bypassing what pays for the site, honestly I can't believe I'm having to explain what is wrong with doing that. On the subject of costs if you think $128,000 is cheap then you're a richer man than I.

You're bypassing what pays for the site, honestly I can't believe I'm having to explain what is wrong with doing that. On the subject of costs if you think $128,000 is cheap then you're a richer man than I.

Were not bypassing the ads though - or the subscriptions. But look, you've already convinced me - I'm going to talk with the team about changing the landing page.