Gmod Content Policy & Content Index System

Kreisher

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kreisher, The only way I see this working legally and technically is if mod authors could SPECIFICALLY OPT-IN while uploading their mods to this site.

So that would require a checkbox for us to click on this site.

[ ] Allow this mod to be advertised on partner sites.

Unless I click a box like that, I don't expect any of my content appearing on any other site, nor accounts being automatically created under my name.

Unless I put them there myself, I do NOT want or authorize any other site to host or copy any of my mods, its content, or descriptions.

Is that clear enough?

Also, it's pretty presumptuous to just develop this leach feature before discussing it with the site owner for which you planned to leach off of, or the community you will be stealing from.

Edited by Sunnie

I'm with the others, I only want to see my mods on the site I uploaded them to, I chose nexus because I know it and the community, I don't know yours, and considering the way you have gone about this I'm not sure I want to, I agree with Dark0ne, that's quite some audacity, especially putting up the users names whether claimed or not.

Your idea is pointless. Why would anyone visit your site then get re-directed here, when they can find all they need here in the first place? Not to mention uploading mods without modders permissions and creating fake accounts for them.

You do this knowing your users will not get updated content, they will not get support for the mods they download and yet you went ahead and done just that, then you come here asking for feedback?

:down:

If I do not specifically upload, or ask to be uploaded, to your site, I do not want to see any of my content, including images and readmes, on your site... ever.

Is understood to have in the moment brought no mods to it? Apparently have only a few mods on their side. What are they thinking actually. Even if you wanted to log on, how can you prove that you are the rightful creator. That has likely result in the account is stolen.

I forbid the uploading of my files and pictures on this page.

You and Quetzl are right. You cannot prove it, especially if the site has no interest in you proving it so that you can remove your content from the site.

I do NOT give permission for any mod of mine, or anything associated with any mod of mine, or anything created by me that is on Nexus to be uploaded anywhere other than Nexus. So if this is done it's without my consent and without the consent of the mod authors who are telling you not to do it and probably most of the others who don't know about this too. Actually this directive (do not upload this mod onto another site) is already contained in my mod description and on a lot of mod authors' descriptions so I'm wondering why I even need to tell you this again. You are way out of line thinking this is okay.

I'll be checking into gmod from time to time, and if I ever find my content placed there, we are going to have a huge problem. I think that's pretty straightforward.

But I regress, I think the mod page is probably better. I'm going to reach our to our community and talk with our team about changing the landing page.

Sorry, but what does your community have to do with our content and the Nexus' structure and hosting of files?

You've stated you will honor at least one request for removal. We have people active in this community right now saying they don't want their content visible on your site. What about all the inactive modders, or those who aren't aware of this? Will the site have an easy/automated way to opt-out? Why do I need an account on gmod.com to download mods at other sites, some of which also need accounts?

Adding an installer sounds nice for your users, but how is that going to work if you're not linking directly to the file? Is gmod.com going to take responsibility for install issues/mod conflicts/old or incompatible versions? The flashy graphics and design of the site seems to almost force an idea of attribution, despite actually stating the content is elsewhere. A frustrated user will more likely say "argh the mods I downloaded from gmod.com broke my game", and head to your forums for solutions. Experience has shown me that fringe communities are the last place to go for any kind of support.

The heart of the issue for modders is control over their works, and being able to provide support and take feedback from the users. This helps create community, something Dark0ne has fostered greatly with his sites and forums. Communities of modders and users has been a positive experience for many, and things get done. Adding a frontpage and extra clicks just distances someone from that.