Installing on several computers? What do you think?

Nordicmax

Well, I was just thinking about how nice it would be if I could have Skyrim installed on both my laptop and my stationary computer(My laptop so I can play when I go out of town etc).

Do you think that this will be possible, or that there will be a limit of how many times you can install the game or how many times you can use the serial code(incase it has one)? I know that we can't know for sure 'til it comes out, just asking what you think.

Edited by Nordicmax

Skyrim will have 1 serial code. You can use it only once.

You use it to register the game on your Steam account (which will be required) and as long as you're logged in on that account, you can install the game and play it. The computer you're on doesn't matter.

We should describe it more directly:

Skyrim uses steam, which (as Nysba said) has only 1 CD key that you can activate on only one Steam account.

But when you do, you can install Steam on as many computers as you like, Steam uses a login mechanic so when you have Steam installed on 2 computers, you have to log in on both.

You won't be able to play the game without Steam or without the Steam account you activated Skyrim on. But besides that, you can log into Steam from any computer that has Steam installed and play the game.

Hm, if me and a friend wants to play at the same time on two different computers using the same Stream account, would that be possible? I mean, if we're at my house and I'm playing Skyrim on my stationary computer and he's playing it on the laptop. I know that it doesn't work with online games from Stream and when you try to LAN, but I've heard that it's possible on singleplayer games by going into "offline mode"? Edited by Nordicmax

Hm, if me and a friend wants to play at the same time on two different computers using the same Stream account, would that be possible? I mean, if we're at my house and I'm playing Skyrim on my stationary computer and he's playing it on the laptop. I know that it doesn't work with online games from Stream and when you try to LAN, but I've heard that it's possible on singleplayer games by going into "offline mode"?

I haven't tried that, but I think it's possible.

But only one account can be online, the other has to stay offline.

Though you will have to authorize the second PC you want to play on, Steam detects different hardware and will send you an email that your Steam account is on another PC. (Even if you set it to work in offline mode, it won't start because it needs authorization)

Just authorize it via email and you should be able to play offline with the second account.

Hm, if me and a friend wants to play at the same time on two different computers using the same Stream account, would that be possible? I mean, if we're at my house and I'm playing Skyrim on my stationary computer and he's playing it on the laptop. I know that it doesn't work with online games from Stream and when you try to LAN, but I've heard that it's possible on singleplayer games by going into "offline mode"?

You can't be logged on from multiple computers at the same time, but I've never attempted offline mode trickery... It's a pretty obvious bypass though so I'm willing to bet it won't be that simple.

Afraid not, unless you know something about routers I don't. I tried that with Dawn of War 2 and some messing with offline mode. Didn't work.

But Skyrim has no online mode, so you can start the game, go to offline mode, then start it on another computer.

Well I read on some different places on the Internet that it was possible.. Guess I'll just have to try it and see if it works when it comes out, I've heard that it works different for different games:) Edited by Nordicmax