Mothership Zeta hatred is baffling

tnu

I'mnot talking about hatred of the gameplay here. the gameplay was just not good. But what the hell is so wrong with the premise of Aliens in Fallout? Sure we have Super Mutants, Weird Science eveyrwhere but ALIENS? No RUINED FOREVER! What am I missing? What possibly makes Aliens contradict the lore and setting? So much so that people have constantly been whining about and begging Beth/Obsidion never to use them again.

It is because 'suspending disbelief' is important to this type of gaming. When something is added that breaks the credibility of the world then it pulls the player out his/her imagined reality and tells them that they're playing a game.

I guess some people like spaceships and aliens in their Post Nulcear Simulations and others don't. Personally that was the only DLC I didn't buy because it didn't fit in to what I was looking for from the game.

I always saw suspension of disbelief as "it has to conform to every rule of reality or else it sucks". That would be quite dull. It seems like most of these people actually have no ability to suspend their disbelief.

The aliens who created the "Alien Blaster" present in Fallout right from the beginning certainly weren't human creations or FEV mutants. MZ's aliens are supposed to be the same ones who built the Alien Blaster.

they arent in fallout from the begenning(only as skeletons), these are the "aliens" created by humans and appear in FO1 and 2 their real name is "wanamingo":

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Wanamingo

The aliens who created the "Alien Blaster" present in Fallout right from the beginning certainly weren't human creations or FEV mutants. MZ's aliens are supposed to be the same ones who built the Alien Blaster.

they arent in fallout from the begenning(only as skeletons), these are the "aliens" created by humans and appear in FO1 and 2 their real name is "wanamingo":

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Wanamingo

Was more so referancing this: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_blaster not so much the FEV mutations as those are cleared up in game lore already, but appreciate the refresher on that!

I hate to argue the Creationist position here, but unless the Alien Blaster is a product of evolution it had to have been created; as it has existed since Fallout 1 so too must have its creators.

Edit: in keeping with the theological theme, Word of God is that the aliens in MZ are the same ones who built the Alien Blaster. I vaguely remember an interview with one of the designers who said something to the effect that one of the big unanswered Fallout questions is, "Who made the Alien Blaster?" MZ was their answer to that question.

Edited by RatcatcherOfKvatch

I didn't dislike Mothership Zeta as such. Some things were annoying, like the extra graphics causing lag in my computer, or the act that I couldn't pick up alien clutter to bring back to Earth. Still, I had fun cloaking myself and running around stealth killing aliens on their own ship. There was a nice irony to that. I think it mostly suffered from being repetitive, and kinda long considering there's no way to go back to earth before finishing the questline.

On the other hand, it all turned out to be a veritable money factory due to Sally and Elliot providing you with unlimited alien supplies that could be converted to caps. I never had to worry about funds ever again after finishing MZ. :laugh:

Though, was I the only one who found it just a bit creepy that a grown man was perfectly willing to settle down full-time on a spaceship in orbit with only a small girl to keep him company?

I hated Point Lookout, in case anyone cares. I thought it was just relentlessly awful.

I liked Point Lookout - mostly because I thought it had the best atmosphere out of all the DLC, and the one the made me feel the most like an adventurer - I really enjoyed spy quest and the secret places. If anything, the main problem was that it didn't have enough mysteries to solve.

I'm not sure which DLC I disliked the most, since it's been a while since I played it. Though, I do remember that I found nearly everyone in The Pit to be blithering idiots.

So the slaves hire the most heroic person they can find to kidnap an infant baby, do not bother telling said hero about that one little detail, and then get all condescending when said hero refuses. Yeah, that was an awesome plan. As for the slavers, not only do they actually pay their slaves, but they pay them in guns and armor. :wallbash:

that is a horrible pun.

...What, xenophobia? No it isn't. That's not even a pun to begin with.

Heh, The Pitt did have a couple of pretty dumb premises writing-wise, but the baby-kidnapping part of it was a classic Fallout dark-humor karma nightmare. The baby was the best part of The Pitt, writing-wise, very Fallout-like.

I liked searching for ingots in the not-ghoul infested steelyard, although "search" is more appropriate perhaps in the Google sense as I did cheat and look up where they were. The spooky factory with all the catwalks and stairs and not-ghouls scampering around was Bethesda at their classic creepiest.

The Pitt had a very oppressive atmosphere to it when you first arrived which was strong enough I can remember it even through the disbelief-suspension-shattering plot holes which would come later. I have to give it credit for those first impressions.

I would've liked for the Wernher faction choice to have included new merchants as part of the aftermath, as it makes no sense that The Pitt would have nothing to trade after the slaves are freed, but that's a minor quibble. Does anybody return to The Pitt more than once or twice to actually use the ammo press? Even with a couple dozen teddy bears thrown in it's barely worth the trip. How much .308 could you possibly need? I don't really need merchants in a place I rarely visit.

MZ is way too generous with the filthy lucre. But how else do you handle alien artifacts? Of course they're going to be worth a fortune! My solution was a level cap, as by level 18 or so you're fabulously wealthy anyway. Giving everything to the player who has everything doesn't break anything.

Maybe I'm being too hard on Point Lookout. Defending the ghoul dude's house was a pretty good series of missions. The communist spy mission's "reward" still cracks me up. Maybe the only sour part are the stereotyped inbred redneck hicks trying to kill you just because. I won't come right out and call it racist, but it's definitely cliche'. The Uber-cliche' has mercifully been untouched; Fallout has yet to resurrect any Nazis for Villain-of-the-Month, so we do have that to be thankful for ... so far.

But the rest of Point Lookout ... maybe it's not so bad. There's a Dunwich tie-in I haven't completed yet. Maybe I should give Point Lookout one last chance. (Dunwich Building is the reason I won't play Fallout after 10 PM.) :P