Issues with the chargen

Antilurk

Right, so I've just installed a spate of mods, and something appears to have broken. Quite nastily too. Here's the problem and the lead-up to it:

I downloaded MWGO, which worked fine. I downloaded a few gameplay mods, like BTB's game rebalances, LGNPCs and other minor tweaks. The game worked fine after these. I just installed Westerly's Master Head Pack, Morrowind Comes Alive and some plugin that adds weight to gold. It was after one of these three that the game broke. I tried disabling the ESP for each in turn, which didn't work.

I can log in to existing characters (the only one that I have), but can't create new ones. There is a loud grating, buzzing noise as soon as the opening cut-scene concludes and I'm left in the boat (fiddling with the audio options, I found completely turning 'effects' off stopped this). After I'm asked my name, there is then a massive FPS hit, as the game gets progressively slower. By the time the guard emerges, the screen has totally frozen, and I'm forced to alt-tab out. The game then crashes, and I have to force-close it.

I'm running a 64bit copy of Windows 7, but it has always worked fine up until now. Morrowind always runs with admin permissions, and I've used MLOX to sort the load order. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I really don't want to have to reinstall. :unsure:

EDIT: I circumvented the problem by downloading a quick-start chargen mod. The problem seems to be with the intro-boat, so by cutting that out the problem has stopped. I was hoping there was a better way, but it seems not. In any case, never mind. Can make new characters again.

Edited by Antilurk

Here's a possible answer to your query:

I'm running a 64bit copy of Windows 7, but it has always worked fine up until now. Morrowind always runs with admin permissions, and I've used MLOX to sort the load order. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I really don't want to have to reinstall.

It may very well be the MLOX (I've never heard of it before) that is part of your problem.

One thing to remember, All these extra "helper" programmes such as MLOX MWGO and such can cause more trouble than you would believe. Another thing, these "minor tweaks" you mention, are they essential to running the game?

Personally I would be inclined to see if any mod you use actually requires these extra programmes, if one (or more) does - look at it and see if you actually need the mod. There is another factor as well, you say

I just installed Westerly's Master Head Pack, Morrowind Comes Alive and some plugin that adds weight to gold. It was after one of these three that the game broke.

I think this may well be a good pointer to the problem. You will probably be able to locate your game saves, if you can, copy them to another part of the hard drive - or better still another drive. I think the only real solution to this problem is for you to remove the game, defrag and re-start your machine, then re-install all your mods (NOT those tweaks or other "helper" programmes), restore your game saves to the place you got them from and try again, you will get an error message saying the game needs such and such a file, just quick-save quit, re-start the game and you'll find the error message has gone. Not only that but I think you'll find the game runs better.

It may very well be the MLOX (I've never heard of it before) that is part of your problem.

One thing to remember, All these extra "helper" programmes such as MLOX MWGO and such can cause more trouble than you would believe. Another thing, these "minor tweaks" you mention, are they essential to running the game?

Well, all MLOX does is rearrange your mods so they're in the correct load order. If there's any minor corruptions or clashes, it'll also fix them for you. More serious stuff gets flagged for you, so you can deal with it yourself. I think the program is pretty solid, but I don't really understand how it works. I just let it do its thing.

MWGO is just a bundle pack of mods, too. It shouldn't be doing anything negative, and really does make the game look stunning, so I consider it essential. I tried disabling the minor mods, and the three mods I downloaded last, but it didn't seem to help. In any case, the problem seems to be restricted solely to the boat scene in the opening. I downloaded a quick-start mod that removes the tutorial and starts you outside the Census Office's door, and it worked fine,

restore your game saves to the place you got them from and try again, you will get an error message saying the game needs such and such a file, just quick-save quit, re-start the game and you'll find the error message has gone. Not only that but I think you'll find the game runs better.

I tried this with the saves as well, and it got rid of all the error messages! Thanks for that. :D